Must Mankind Beat Something to be Healthy?

I liked Stevie Ray, have a few of his cds. Great in what he did, but i think that he was a one dimensional player with a somewhat limited range. He might have been better by staying in high school a little longer. :lol: Also, a life cut short didn't help.

Try some Tai Chi. Chill out bra. Satta. Smoke a joint... I don't know. Peace is the way. Jed, we are evolving away from physical violence, I think...

That being said I have a 2 year old son and 2 nephews 8 and 5 years each. My son has been violent since day one. He hits dogs, other kids, elderly people, as hard as possible. He does not understand. Sometimes I'll give him a little smack on the head, nothing crazy, scares the bejeezus out of him. I agree that controlled violence in martial arts may help to curb unnecessary aggression.

Cultural aspects to violence as well, like resulting from peer pressure. Not all societies are prone to losing control or expressing themselves in that way, also pertaining to the youth. The type of education could be an added factor.

Fighting seems to be a very popular deal these days. Sheeit, we got the women doing it now.

My kids found out early and often that I am WAY meaner than they are. Serious consequences for hitting a sibling or a animal. The dog snapped at Lynley only one time. Broke my toe, but it got the message across. They are great friends now.

I tell them kids it is best not to fight. There is always someone tougher, and might not be doing it for funsies.

Its a worry Levi, but two is a tough age. Cant hardly teach em anything! Keep at it, you got time yet!

EDIT Me too Butch!

My city of Sydney - Australia, now has super stictly regulated bar/niteclub/pub hours. Licensed premises cant admit patrons after 1am and I believe they have to close at around 3am. Its a political knee jerk reaction to the young folk indulging in random violence when out on the town. I'm certain there was a mutation of the typical street violence-in the past it was between consenting/willing groups of brawlers but recently those out looking for a fight have commonly attacked individuals minding there own business (sometimes fatally). Very cowardly conduct...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm of the opinion that the vast bulk of these mass shootings are perpetrated by kids n adults flying high on anti psychotic drugs, SSRI's. Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors. Doctors and the courts like to push them on youngsters, with deadly results. You can bet the dude that shot the old lady in the face and then ran her over with her own lawnmower to boot was on them!

But big pharma's got the political clout to keep the toxicology reports under wraps, unless of course they were on illegal drugs like pot.

Jomo

Chris, I don't mean to pick on Australians, but i was watching what has happened to parts of the paradise, Bali, with Australian youth flocking to the bar night clubs. Fighting and drugs and people just going wild like they are in Sydney. A shame really. A bit of a problem here too, Australians hitting our ski resorts because of having good snow and ski parks. The small town cops stay busy I hear.

True enough, it seems that European cultures are much more violent. An old friend of mine told me once he thought the east coast o the US was more violent due to closer European influence whereas the west coast was more passive due to Asian influence. He even broke it down he used drugs as a reference, Europe- alcohol=violence Asia- opium=can't fight to save your life. I know those are sweeping generalizations and a don't quite subscribe although the west coast does have a major culture around herb and does seem more peaceful.

Jim C, thanks or the encouragement, little man is a terror in my house, 99mph all day and night!

Jomo, I agree that the SSRIs have a stake in the degradation in our society, also the video game culture is much to blame in my opinion as well as other violent media. Perhaps people do not grasp the impacts of REAL violence after being exposed to blood and gore on the screen for a lifetime. Oppressing physical activity as is done in our schools and other places may lead to a horrible outburst one day, blanket fire.

True enough, it seems that European cultures are much more violent. An old friend of mine told me once he thought the east coast o the US was more violent due to closer European influence whereas the west coast was more passive due to Asian influence. He even broke it down he used drugs as a reference, Europe- alcohol=violence Asia- opium=can't fight to save your life. I know those are sweeping generalizations and a don't quite subscribe although the west coast does have a major culture around herb and does seem more peaceful.
Yeah, those Asians are all totally chilled. Nanking, genghis khan etc. tbh I think your mate's theory is a crock.

Jomo, I agree that the SSRIs have a stake in the degradation in our society, also the video game culture is much to blame in my opinion as well as other violent media. Perhaps people do not grasp the impacts of REAL violence after being exposed to blood and gore on the screen for a lifetime. Oppressing physical activity as is done in our schools and other places may lead to a horrible outburst one day, blanket fire.

Both my sons work for Sony, as game testers n trouble shooters prior to each new game's release, and despite being immersed in the gaming culture since grade school age? Have no violent tendencies in real life whatsoever, at least comparatively speaking to their old man's childhood and young adult life in the 70's n 80's.

But I have witnessed firsthand the startling change in young teens n adults that occurs when they're prescribed SSRI meds!
The lack of empathy for anyone or thing outside their little circle of friends. Totally absorbed in their own little world, with contempt for their elders n parents. Cussing their parents out n threatening vengeful retaliatory measures if their demands aren't met.

Jomo

Jay, you're 100% correct, our yob culture exported has ruined paradise. It was a topic that came up at work the other day- our lack of interest in going to Bali thanks to all the aussies that flock there. For the most part our youth have never felt real consequences to their actions.... Our cops are way too gently when they go hands on and following that the court gives a slap on the wrist.

They are also helping the Balinese ruin it for themselves. Balinese gangs make money off the desires of the visitors, and gangs will threaten the life of anyone, say working in management in a club, that wants to make the places safer for tourists that don't want to have to be wary of trouble. An Australian visitor walking with his wife, gets his mouth seriously split open by getting punched by someone high on a product, and that he has no connection to other than simply walking by, and then someone wanting to keep out dealers will get a gun put to his head. Such things don't much at all seem to deter many tourists from going there to go nuts.

I feel sorry for people that have no street awareness and then accidentally wander into these drug infested shit holes, they then become victims all too easily. I was out in Kings Cross (our red light district) during daylight a while back, its trashy but there is glitzy real estate nearby so its a bit classy also and lots of international tourists. A strip club doorman was getting into peoples faces that walked past, menacing them, threatening "ile fukkin smash ya", he even said it to an elderly couple of Korean tourists. This is how security carry themselves at midday... pretty woeful.

The life of Karen Carpenter's one of the more subtle examples of the phenomenon I'm speaking of here.

Happy as Brair Rabbit in a briar patch while beating her drums n singing, but uncomfortable when deprived of those drums and coerced into the spotlight of center stage to sing only. I've no doubt her brother Scott now regrets forcing her front n center stage without her drums to comfort her.

http://youtu.be/PtptZZOkN5A

Jomo

Didn't she have long term emotional problems, possibly from family issues? Perhaps something about her mother being a tyrant. So your premise is that young people need to beat on something because they are mentally unstable from an unbalanced upbringing? Then raise kids right and they won't have the aggression. That seems different from simply an inherent need to want to smash to feel better, as seemed your perspective earlier.

I gather you'd frown on letting your grade school daughter get into pillow fights when her friends spend the night Jay?

Might lead to uncouth n savage behavior later in life?

Jomo

Never thought about it, but if they were having fun, I don't have a problem. I don't see any particular need to see something deeper going on, unless there seemed some requirement to have that as a regular activity to remain calm. Then I would want to consider why it is happening, and if it is possibly a problematical activity or not.

All I'm saying, is that I am confused by what you are wanting to say. Your recent post example, from my perspective, introduced instability into the issue, I think it is reasonable to say that Karen was a very messed up young lady with her desire for extreme dieting that ended up killing her, and probably a factor beyond simply not using her drums. Earlier you appeared to be claiming that there is a basic human need to be destructive. Is your basic premise that if someone needs to smash, it is because they are psychologically unhealthy, or the need to be destructive is perhaps something "normal", resulting from our genetic makeup?

I began this thread describing my own hyper activity as a child without having Ritalin stuffed down my throat by the public school system, as happens to tens of thousands' children today. I found outlets for my aggressions, like beating sumac bushes apart with a baseball bat, wrestling n judo.

Ever been to an all day seminar and found sitting and listening to it all trying, regardless of the speaker's skill?

Another subtle example'd be the difference between a baptist church where the folks get up n sing n dance n shout, and a stuffy protestant or catholic or mormon church where you're expected to sit quietly n intone the proper responses at the appropriate moments.

The homogeneity of conduct expected today in our schools goes against the natural diversity evident in both children and teens throughout history, and in my opinion trying to make youngsters conform to those strictures with drugs results in blowback that's a helluva lot more destructive than pillow fights n bloody noses.

Jomo

All I can say is that you must have had a hell of a misguided Judo teacher.

But then, Kano did turn Judo into a sport.

That's funny Stig, as both my Dad and judo instructor were very strict disciplinarians, my Dad with his belt, and Pop Moore with his Korean baton!

Pop Moore pretty much founded The American Judo Association after WW2 I've been told.

http://www.usja-judo.org/history-of-the-usja/

Jomo

Drugs like Ritalin, or pain killers, can have their serious side effects. Seeing my brother in the hospital recently, now on heavy meds for pain, I was blown away by what he was having to endure as side effects, much affecting his quality of life. Though the people directing his care didn't seem too bothered by it, I told his doctors that they needed to do something different. Ritalin has a long list of possible side effects as well. i wouldn't want my child on Ritalin.

Aside from so called abnormalities, like hyperactivity, probably simply going to school is stressful for kids, in one way or another. Sports does seem to be a calming influence, and not necessarily overly physically aggressive sports. Physical activity leads to relaxation, and it should be encouraged, imo. I certainly observe that children are considerably less physically active today than when i was young. Here on weekends, aside from the baseball teams, you hardly see any children outside playing. Sports also has a maturing effect. Japanese school and extracurricular sports have a hierarchal situation going on, where the younger people have to show respect to their older teammates, and if they don't, they get well informed about it. I can easily see how that also translates into how these same young people can better communicate with adults in a more respectful and polite way, being more disciplined in how they can control themselves, including use of language. It seems to be a good guide. If you can get self control going at a young age, I think it is very positive. I'd prefer that over having to beat on things.

I was riding a train early morning recently, and i observed a young kid, junior high or maybe first year high school, get on at another station. Before sitting down, he observed another older looking boy sitting in a seat, and he walked up to hm and gave a little bow, before finding his own seat. i think that likely they were team mates, both were carrying sports bag. The older kid dismissed him with a little nod. i thought it was pretty cool.

Back