Must Mankind Beat Something to be Healthy?

Jomo

TreeHouser
For me as a child making the transition into my teens in a large family, competition between the 8 sons was fierce, as was family discipline for misconduct as dispensed with military regularity by my Mormon father with his belt. He took no joy in the procedure, and there was never any doubt that the beatings were well deserved.

So as one of the youngest sons, if it wasn't an older brother kickin my butt into line with their fists, it was my father with his belt. But at right about 12-13 years old my next older brother and I grew tired n sore from beating on each other and got into the habit of camping out in the local mountains on the weekends, and beating the local chaparral sumac bushes apart with bats at first, then machetes from the military surplus store.

There's a certain gleeful satisfaction derived from beating the holy hell outta something for a teenager, particularly a frustrated teenager IMO. Must be some kinda endorphins being generated in the brain when the beaten get to fight back n win, or something.

Teenage angst is most certainly nothing new under the sun, and neither are a few hyper and tightly wound elementary school kids IMO. I was one of them, crawling out doors and windows before I could even walk, stuttering when excited through all of elementary school, and getting in fights regularly when made fun of because of my speech impediment. But these were the 60's and drugs weren't dispensed to hyper kids in school, they just got their knuckles whacked with wooden rulers, their butts with paddles with consistency and regularity.

I guess the point I'm making here's that competition, even fierce competition that gets a little bloody's not necessarily a bad thing, perhaps even a good thing for a healthy hyper active child or teen. Physicality, who can jump the furthest, do the most pull ups n push-ups, box the best, climb the best, win the Presidential Physical Fitness Award.

Let the kids n teens be kids n teens again. I believe they have an inherited need to beat the hell outta something, and depriving them of it can be detrimental to their health n well being.

What's your opinion, do we have an inherent need to smash things?

Jomo

As longs as it's not other people or animals. Boys especially are often violent psychos. Vandalism, bullying, both physical and psychological were everyday stuff when I was younger.
Are things different now? I've no kids so I don't know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today's public schools have taken the physicality out of their curriculums, and children who quite naturally struggle against these confinements into things cerebral and orderly, at the expense of things physically challenging, results in drugged up obese children who all get merit awards for not causing ripples in the system's sedentary order.

Jomo

Absolutely, but a much wider variety of sports and physical activities. A menu broad and deep enough to encourage natural attributes any of the children may have.

I was the only child in the family fortunate enough by coincidence of time and divorce proceedings, to throw off Mormon strictures of the day, and actually play Little League Baseball n Pop Warner Football, High School Soccer, wrestling n judo, just like other relatively normal SoCal Hang Ten punks of that era. How to subdue an opponent without bloodying them up and seriously harming them?

Jomo

I've witnessed the blood thirst and frenzy of a large crowd of people cheering on two guys beaten the snot out of each other.

To my shame I gave them what they wanted and broke my opponent's nose, but their cheers of approval once the blood was flowing sickened me, and made me want to break their noses and experience that coppery taste n smell of your own blood bubbling down your throat.

Human nature can be an extremely ugly n repulsive thing when a crowd gets unruly n riled up IME.

Jomo

Heck no, a public park at a weekend softball game, when a bunch of muscle bound punks flyin on PCP tried to muscle in on our game.

At first I played the southern gentleman and just choked him off till he passed out, but the dude was a bull, an ex marine who recovered surprisingly quickly and kept comin after me. So the second time I'd politely choked him unconscious only to have him come back for more, I took him down hard with a judo throw where my entire body weight landed on top of his chest knocking every ounce of air out of him, and I straddled his chest while he struggled to breathe's when the large crowd that'd gathered around us, including my friends, started chanting kill him Jonny, break his nose, kill him break his nose.

As I said earlier, to my shame I obliged them with both hands, got up and walked, only to be confronted by police officers with guns drawn. They let me go after questioning, but took my PCP raging opponent to jail/hospital. This was in 76 when I was only 17 years old, but doing well in my highschool judo class.

I met my ex marine opponent that day about five years later in the 7/11. He asked if I was the little guy that broke his nose in Kennedy park? I admitted I was, and he sheepishly smiled, slapped me on the back and apologized for his conduct that day, and left me saying what a quick little guy I'd been that day.

The irony being that big muscle bound bullies just like him are the exact type who'd gleefully beat your head in when they're flyin high on PCP!

Which makes it prudent for us to have a police force capable taking a drug crazed opponent down without bullets IMO.

Jomo

Judo is good stuff, Jo. Sounds like you worked that throw perfectly.

Do you still train? You like MMA?

No, never made it past orange belt in the rankings. But it's something that I've never forgotten, and used against opponents to great effect, be they bouncers, bullies or cops. They all went to sleep like little babies.

But once in actual police custody downtown? I've had the snot beat out of me by experts who know how not to leave physical evidence that you've had the crap beat out of you while handcuffed.

They've got it down to a fine art, and the only protection you have is money for a lawyer smarter than they are.

There are hard realities to life that run the gauntlet of the pecking order from childhood to adulthood, and then some IMO.

The boiled down moral of the story's that it's better to have the crap beat out of you by an older brother, judo opponent in competition, or a cop, that's not out to kill you, than a real life opponent who wouldn't think twice about snuffin you out permanently with a knife or gun.

Jomo

What results from encouraging a young child's natural talents and abilities, liberally?

Note the VW Van grill in the back ground, so subtly denoting a liberal hippy up bringing?

http://youtu.be/bDA67dX3vEo

Jomo

Jomo: I'm exactly of your opinion. If anyone on here could kindly explain to me how 14 million years of a appalling, bloody brutality (which IS the human evolutionary record, btw) is just suddenly going to be reversed because the fad of our current (and temporary) mores dictate a more benign and pacifistic humanity, I'd greatly appreciate it.

What results from encouraging a young child's natural talents and abilities, liberally?

Note the VW Van grill in the back ground, so subtly denoting a liberal hippy up bringing?

http://youtu.be/bDA67dX3vEo

Jomo

Jomo, thanks so much for posting that link! A superstar in the making! I'd never heard of the kid before this. Stevie Ray was one of my favorites, so it's nice to know that there are others that are picking up the torch.

Tim

My belief that folks have an inherent need to get their aggressions out in some form or another's reflected by society in general IMO. Football's a gloriously violent example, the boxing ring's another, including the audience cheering on whichever fighter they want to win.

There's even an element of it in taking down huge trees in a precise manner that's quite satisfying IME.

Stifling that inherent need's a risky thing to do, whereas finding an outlet for it that's not truly destructive's therapeutic IMO.

Jomo

Kids like that are why I leave my guitars hanging on the wall.

There was only one Stevie Ray Vaughan, and the chance that someone else could ever be that good is slim. That's no reason to give up playing for your own enjoyment, though.

Just like I know that I'll never be the best climber on the planet, but that's not going to stop me from trying to be. Just because I enjoy the climbing, and know that I can always get better.

Tim

Back