Would you still be an arborist?

My stuff is depreciating at the same rate as me. Getting rusty. It's a progressive and inevitable race to the finish line!

I hear ya, I just hope the timing works out for you

I love tree work too much to just walk away. It’s the business side that can kiss my ass.
The rigging, the challenges, the gear, the elevation, the view from every different position, the saws, the pure joy of having a dialed in chain, the smell of fresh cut wood, the feeling of being tired at the end of the day after a technical removal is a sense of accomplishment. I need saw chips to survive.

Hella post, and you got that right re The business side.

But yeah, that is exactly my point- your post succinctly captures a huge swath of what makes treework so compelling, but....isn't there more to life than this one thing even though that one thing checks so many boxes? It's almost like sticking with that one very satisfying thing is being lazy or complacent about possibly finding out about other things that could be as awesome or maybe even moreso.

Last edited:
Ain’t nothing like tree work all else pales in comparison.
How many times have you been on a job and left the spectators slack jawed in amazement? Left other men to say “well I could have done that if” but in reality no they can’t. Have old ladies bake you cookies? Nobody baking you cookies for doing their taxes. Hell, I’ve even had one lady offer me her daughters hand in marriage. That sure as hell ain’t happening mowing lawns or landscaping.
Tree peeps and walking gods amongst mere mortals.
Nothing is like the thrill of flopping a tree in tight quarters as you stand victorious over the stump.
Or pruning out a tree that was planted as a memorial to a lost loved one that brings the custy to tears.
The only other job that may be remotely worthy is a Dr. but they don’t know the intoxicating aroma of two stroke. They can’t walk out of the OR after a bowl resection and have people say “damn you smell good”. BO and fresh tree scent is a powerful turn on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Loved reading all your responses.
Tree09- I suppose either mega rich or current lifestyle type of income for this hypothetical situation, your choice. Would it make a difference?
We have some poets in the group😉

Tree work is not currently my primary source of income. That may change. If the obsession continues for another 10 months, it’s game on!

I attend a plumbing, hvac, and electrical trades training seminar with 80 in attendance. When the group was asked if they’d work for free, no one raised their hands. I was hopeful and delighted we got some raised hands in this group

I wouldn't survey for free aside from helping someone out. "I had a great day guys! I went out and shot 5ac of topo just for the hell of it! Didn't need it for anything. Just for fun..."

Nah, i like having my cake and eating it too :lol: On a serious note tho, most anyone would find fulfillment in any trade as long as it challenges them and they enjoy that particular challenge. Pipe work is very similar to tree work in the danger and feeling of accomplishment after succeeding in stuff most people can't even begin to understand. Many people, myself included, identify with their profession and if they aren't careful they can let that help define who they are. While this seems like no big deal, i think that people who define themselves by their work too much have a problem retiring and enjoying life, friends, and family. I get it if it makes you happy then keep doing it in some way, but some people seem to be lost without doing something that is no longer physically enjoyable or sustainable.

As far as I'm concerned, I would still do my own firewood or something, and would likely still build stuff, but i can find plenty of more enjoyable and fun stuff to do than work. If you can't, are you working 16 hours a day 7 days a week? If work is that fun you should be doing it more. I enjoy the things i do for money, but i like living and doing what i like far more. I would love to never have to get dressed and do dumb shit for money again, cause let's be honest, climbing trees with ropes and chainsaws or welding pipes while they shoot fire aren't really the smartest and safest choices in life are they? :lol:

Ain’t nothing like tree work all else pales in comparison.
How many times have you been on a job and left the spectators slack jawed in amazement? Left other men to say “well I could have done that if” but in reality no they can’t.

Heck yeah, I love this.
Big heavy limbs stretching out over a house, with spectators saying “ no way. He’s gonna smash the house.” No crane, no bucket or lift, just a climber with ground support, ropes, and experience.

I do enjoy an audience.

I had a situation where first day working with Dave Bryant, getting ready for a tight spar drop. Dave freaked a little saying "he's crazy "

Skid steer op was like relax... "he's got this"

Haha- I had a delightful 87yr old lady come up to us on Thursday after we dismantled a large sugar maple over a neighbour's house. She had been enthralled watching us for over an hour. Retired high school math teacher. I told her math was my Achilles heel. Gave her a hug. Covid be damned.

I will have to assume that I will always be doing something in the arb world no matter what. I left to do the construction thing for 8 years and it wasn’t long before I was doing side work and favors for people because I loved it. One part I don’t like is the office side. I tried the estimator thing for about a year. So I’m back to doing my thing. Feel I’m getting better every day. Give me an ungodly amount of money and I’d probably buy more gear and equipment

I worked as a lineman for the phone company for one year. Though it was too regimented. Like being back in the Army. So I quit that. Then working off and on at local boat shop, metal fab. That was OK, but not as a steady job.

There's much more adventure and romance working in the trees. It's nature. It never changes. Once you learn it, and learn it well, it's easy money.

There's much more adventure and romance working in the trees. It's nature. It never changes. Once you learn it, and learn it well, it's easy money.

Hey now! Far be it from me to question anything Sir Jerry says about trees!!

But! Idk if I'd agree with the assessment that it's easy money.

Sure, on some days it can definitely be some easy money. But then of course there are other days when ripping your tooth out with pliers would be preferable to putting up with what is going down.

Risk of extreme property damage, equipment damage, death or injury while aloft as well as on the ground, employees, paperwork, neighbors, burn out, critical importance of physical health to the performance of the trade, etc etc.

It's been said elsewhere on here, treework is a hard dollar!

My 2 cents

"Easy money" is relative. An accountant just sits on his ass and wrangles numbers, but how quick can he get working if he finds himself without a job? As opposed to guy with base level competence and saw. Physically harder, but he could probably be working after 48hr.

somehow I survived any real serious injury while doing tree work. Felt easier when I was younger. It became monotonous and I dreaded certain types of jobs. I do miss a good crane job. Knowing what I know now I would have gone down a different path. I don't regret tree work by any means and hindsight is always 20/20. I'm trying to steer my kids in a different direction as far as careers go. They do love to climb both rock and trees.

I got out when I became complacent and bored. Probably saved my life truthfully. I have had more than a dozen seriously injured tree guys in the ER in the 20 months I've been there. The legit guys all frigged up letting their guard down. Easy to get comfortable when you do it day in and day out. Yall stay safe out there.

I probably need to go climb a tree to remind me of why I liked it. Too bad a redwood aint close to here.

I have had more than a dozen seriously injured tree guys in the ER in the 20 months I've been there. The legit guys all frigged up letting their guard down

Some serious anecdotal info there. :drink:

Back