Mulching Question

TC3

Headache !
Sorry this isn't really a PHC question, but I didn't know where else to ask :
Last fall I did a mulching job on a new job site (old customer, new location), and within 2 weeks the mulch was so moldy it was just unbelievable... as in, so moldy I'm thinking it needs to be completely removed and redone this spring. Ugh. I've never had this happen before. There's only one thing I can think of that it might be, but I'm not sure & wanted some input if ya's can.
The mulch used was a double-grind, dyed brown hardwood mulch ( I think it's primarily ground pallets with regular 'tree waste' mulch mixed in), and I've never had a problem with it before or since.
I did, however, decide to sprinkle Milorganite fertilizer around the base of some new plantings that I had installed in the mulch beds, and this was a first. Aside from the obvious (fertilizer), I had recently learned that it can be a good repellent for deer & other critters, which this site is very prone to. It's a cheap product, and seemed to be the "answer" to the extensive damage done to plants & trees.
It's gotta be the Milorganite, no? I'd sure like to be solid on this, 'cause there are more jobs that I'd like to use this on???
We're talking crazy moldy. Ewww. I hope to hell it's just an aesthetic problem?

Who cares? What does the mold look like. I would be happy that the mold is helping to break down the mulch and turn it into nutrients the tree can access. I think you are just dealing with nature.

love
nick

Milorganite=Milwaukee Organic Nitrogen=human poo=product of the MMSD(Milwaukee Metro Sewerage District, it's on the bag)
In regards to the mold I have had this happen under heavy leaf coverage before and I did nothing with it and it was fine and the maple it is under suffered no ill effect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it looks like dog vomit, don't worry about.
Like Nick said you just need to see it as a good thing.
Precisely what it looks like, but also incorporated all through the mulch, not just on top.
O.K., sounds like no need to panic... but I will need to mulch over it, at least lightly, and I'm not going to use the poo until I figure for 100% that it's not what caused it.
Good or bad, it's an eye sore & I can't have it. Bummer 'cause it's really a challenge trying to control critter damage, and aside from not repelling voles this seemed to be the ticket. Dammitman!

Considering chipper tailings ,ground mulch and leaves for that matter hold moisture it's not surprising to see some form of mold .

Also assuming T is in Mich which is the wild mushroom growing state east of the Mississippi and mold is a second cousin to a mushroom it comes as no surprise there would be mold of some form .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear ya'z, but I've been using mulch since Jezus was a lad & never had this ugly mess o' mold. Part o' the idea of mulch (or at least a big selling point) is to doll things up. This was more like getting ready for Halloween.
:lichmalignus:

I understand your logic. Most customers of mine would be displeased with the mold. Some would value it, most would call it an eyesore and be displeased. They're paying for it, they have the right to not enjoy the unexpected look.

Back