MS200 rear handle or MS260 Pro

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember your studded set of gaffs, Jerry. If I was going to do it, I'd tap threaded holes to accept replaceable boot caulks, like golf spikes.

I wouldn't want them, but it's a good idea.

edit:
I wasn't snappy, see the smilie?

It was a whim, the cleats, sorry for the derail.
Those spikes carried me from 1992 or , i cant remember ,to 1999.
They were the only tree gear left in my tractor trailer that was theived.
The spikes were that bad .
The damn theives left umm ,but they stole 5k of other goodies.
We never found out who done it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, that's about what I thought, Willie. High price for what it is. You can get a 361 for that. I wouldn't have paid list.

I'm considering replacing the 200T's in my office with 200's because I can't get my guys to stop one handing saws. I've ordered one and await its arrival. I'll use it myself for a while before i start replacing 200T's but would love to hear your opinions as to it ability to replace the T as a climbing saw.

I even sawed a lamb shank up the other day to show the damage that saw can do to flesh and bone and though it had a good impact, I'm sure they'll still wield the 200T like a light sabre when I'm not around. So, engineering control it is.

The 200T is designed to be used one handed. If you must insist on outlawing one handed use, then buy a different saw. All skilled users will eventually use the 200T one handed. The scary ones are the guys who won't trust themselves enough and insist on using two hands 100% of the time in spite of circumstances or conditions.

The rules against one handed use are designed for the lowest common denominator, the average unskilled worker with little to no saw skills or experience. The rules HAVE to protect those who aren't skilled enough to protect themselves. But that doesn't mean that a skilled, experienced operator should have to operate under the same restrictions. Do you also insist on skilled operators using anti kickback chain on all saws and require EHAP certified line clearance cutters to maintain a 10' distance from ALL power lines regardless of circumstances?

The rule I enforce is, you can one-hand if there is a reason for it. I won't tolerate onehanding just for the sake of onehanding.
I believe some things can be done safer with one hand.

The fact of the matter is, I've got about fifty guys I'm responsible for and though I realize that 200T's are designed to be used one-handed I do have to play to our lowest common denominator. We have guys of all skill levels. Some are great and have tremendous experience, some are new and are still learning. But they all have bad habits. My problem is not the one handing itself (though I do think it is a bad habit) but rather that the newer guys see the older guys doing it, think it is acceptable and it becomes one more bad habit I have to try and break them of.

The truth is, if you're one handing a saw, you have significantly less control over that saw and why put yourself in a position where you have so much less control over such a powerful tool? n the years I've been in the business i can probably count on two hands (pardon the pun)the amount of times I have had to one hand a saw. Either get in to a better position or use your handsaw.

Do you also insist on skilled operators using anti kickback chain on all saws and require EHAP certified line clearance cutters to maintain a 10' distance from ALL power lines regardless of circumstances?

No, depending on the voltage they can get as close as the law allows.

Oh, and by the way, I think one handing is a sign of a lazy and unskilled operator who won't take the time to put himself in a safer position where he can use two hands and maintain better control, or, use a handsaw.

That's just my opinion.

Well, with 50 guys you obviously would have a problem with unskilled workers one handing too much. My big disagreement is with treating the practice as a forbidden bad habit instead of an advanced skill. Perhaps implement a 'chainsaw skills' test or program where advanced, skilled users earn the right to use more advanced techniques such as one handing when necessary. Your idea of using rear handled saws is good, but you need to keep the 200Ts and just issue them to your best climbers/ sawyers.

And I'm of the opinion that 'lazy' is a great attribute when it motivates the person to eliminate wasted effort and work as efficiently as possible in order to conserve energy. ;)

Well, from where i sit and looking at the cost in dollars and quality of life, I'd much rather a guy take the time to do it right rather than risk an injury as severe as a chainsaw injury at height.

Point taken though. I hate black and white rules as much as the next tree guy, but if I start making exceptions on something this simple and with as many guys as i have in my charge, my credibility goes right out the window

So for me, black and white is my only option. A "skills test" only shows me their physical skills and gives me no insight in to their judgment which is far more important than their physical abilities.

Back