MS200 rear handle or MS260 Pro

200 rear all the way I picked up a beat up one that is a blast to run. As far a limbing it rocks. Also have been helping my buddy who is clear cutting alot of his land and have been using it to drop 4 - 8" soft maples. It is a great saw to run and boy do they cut fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I think I am leaning back away from the 260 and more toward the 200 at this point. Give me 24 hours and I'll change my mind again...so I better just decide and get on with life.
:D

There's the problem that comes with the wisdom accrued over many years...you tend to see some validity on both sides of any argument.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
:lol:

drop ship it me burnham, ill move a little metal and then youll love it. if i screw it up ill send you one of mine;)

I use a 14" bar on my limbing saw. 16" would be a little more convenient, but I like the greater power that the shorter length gives.
Been wanting a rear handle saw, the ones I've used, they seem easier on the wrist.

Seems wise, Burnham, to get the smaller saw, based on what you described that you'd be using it for. Just hope the 35ccs is enough power for you. Have you looked at the MS 230?
Anyone in the treehouse using one? A couple more pounds than the 200, almost right up there with the 260 in weight, but the 40.2ccs looks good to me. Both that one and the 200, Stihl rates as occasional user saws, looking at their website. There also is the occasional user MS250, same weight as the 230, plus five more ccs.

I picked up a new small Stihl that a guy had at a job a few months back. I don't remember the model, but I sure didn't like the balance. I'd be checking out the feel, for sure.

I know it's not what you asked but I have used both the 260 and the 270 extensivley. The wifey bought me the 270 as a gift and I just could'nt take it back 'cause she seemed so thirlled to get me a saw "all on her own". Lordy, lordy I REALLY like it. It's very light for it's size and I run a 16" bar on it in hardwood and goes pretty well. To a limited degree I climb with it as well. The "intermintant usage" tag sort of turned me off to it BEFORE I ran it a bit but the more I used it the more I liked it.

Burnham, I'm not a fan of the 200 much anymore. I would be inclined to get the 260. You can get the muffler opened and still have screen in it. It will actually deal with wood under a bit of pressure better than the 200. The 200's don't cool well. I would defintely not consider it a "brushing" saw by any means. Then again my idea of a brush saw is a 440.:D

I really don't understand why so many of you are so down on the 260.
I have had a lot of them over the years and used them hard. Back when we cut a LOT of pulpwood, it was my primary limbing saw+ I use it for the 15-20000 x-mas trees, I used to cut every year.
I just counted back, and I have worn 6 of them out, during which time I have had only one problem with one of them: Someone stole it.:cry:

Burnham, I'm not a fan of the 200 much anymore. I would be inclined to get the 260. You can get the muffler opened and still have screen in it. It will actually deal with wood under a bit of pressure better than the 200. The 200's don't cool well. I would defintely not consider it a "brushing" saw by any means. Then again my idea of a brush saw is a 440.:D

Oh, I woudn't begin to try to use the 200 for what you and I call "brushing", Dave. I'll use it as a light-weight saw for quick clearing of small downed trees on road prisms. Anything requiring much grunt at all will fall to the 460.

In point of fact, I am pretty sure either the 200 or the 260 would fit the bill well enough.

My local dealer gave me a extra good deal on the 200, and that's what I've decided to go with.

It sure has a goofy air filter.:?

Its a weird cylindrical shape, with a sort of a plug on the end that you remove to blow it clean from inside. Also has a tube fitting from the interior of the filter to the carb itself, but not to the throat. There's plastic clip legs that hold it into place that you have to pry off one at a time to remove it.

Totally diff from the 200T.

Cool, always interested in knowing the prices down there. Just to see how badly I'm getting ripped off up here.:D

I got this one for an even $500. I think they list for closer to $600 than $550, but I may be mistaken.

Back