More truck engine problems

Absolutely not, Andrew. That winch on the boom has saved my bacon on a lot of jobs. Most of the small companies I work for have minimal equipment and being able to lift loads with the boom is a huge money maker for me.

Ed, I was attempting to be funny. ;)
I guess what your saying is that you use it a lot. Will it lift full capacity at full extension?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, but I've lifted the outriggers on the far side. I also don't like pushing it with that much weight since the winch is loaded with just 7/16" (11mm?) double braid polyester rope. 1200 lb logs are a good, comfortable limit for me.

All the time. My normal rigging routine is to use some 5/8" rope slings to rig a limb or top off itself, then use a smaller sling to hook on and pick up the limb with the boom winch after it's been cut. I will not rig directly off the boom due to shock loading, I use the boom winch for lifting only. I can also use it for loading logs on a truck or trailer. I can operate the boom and winch from the bucket or from the lower controls.

I'll update this thread soon. http://www.gypoclimber.com/showthread.php?t=8241 At this point I will consider all reasonable offers.

Hey Andrew! You mentioned that you were heading down this way soon. Wanna buy my truck and take it far away from here? :lol:

It looks like we might be in Clermont in late March, I will let you know as the time gets near.

I dont want to bring that truck home,those booms are too big for me. Besides I have 2 trucks that go 70':P And it sound like I will have a new bucket waiting for me to use when I get down there.:O

Just got back from Birmingham where I test drove the truck and got a few pictures. This is as good of a place as any to test the picture attachment process. The truck I'm looking at is a 2001 Chevy C8500 with an Altec AM855 bucket. And it did come from Louisiana (Entergy Corp.), I hope it wasn't flooded. :/: :lol:

Still having some problems uploading, gonna post this before I lose them and add more in another post.

You guys that drive Chevies, can anyone tell me what the little switch is that's at the top right of the dash, just above the radio???
:?

That little switch is the defroster for the side view mirrors. I think?

What do you mean by a commercial license, a CDL? I have a Class B CDL with air brakes which covers me for driving anything except a semi tractor-trailer. The truck GVWR is 35,220 lbs.

Oh good! I thought maybe there was some other requirement I wasn't aware of. :\:

Getting back to the old truck, I need to start getting serious about selling it once I get this nagging fuel issue fixed. And I'll toss out another piece of bacon-wrapped bait, I may even be able to carry back some paper on the purchase, depending on the credit worthiness of the buyer. Since my other thread was lost I guess i'll just have to start a new one and include the info there.

I think the mirror defrosters would be a moot point in Orlando.

If that is a power company truck most of them are fairly well maintained although that one will need a set of steering tires before too long.

Birmingham is kind of neat in a way.I was disallusioned and thought Alabama was flat as a pancake,not so.I don't think there is a flat spot in Birmingham.

I just got another piece of promising news this morning. I went over to a lot that is located at the corner of a major road and the side road where a tree and concrete recycling place is located. Half the tree companies in town dump there, so the lot has excellent exposure to my target audience. The owner of the lot charges people to park vehicles for sale. The rates are very cheap, $30 per week or $100 per month. Once I get the new truck then I think it will be fairly easy to sell the old truck (I hope).

Park and sell, what an original concept! And low overhead, too.

What's the deal there? Is it locked at night? Is there a guard, or what?

The only bad part about selling your truck locally is then you might have to see it on the road

The only bad part about selling your truck locally is then you might have to see it on the road

Or could be bought up by someone who could become a competitor. I try not to sell big pieces of equipment locally for this reason. I prefer to trade it or sell it out of our local area. Besides no one here would give you the asking price you need to have anyway. An add in our local paper would only draw cheapskates and bargain seeking hunters.

Where Brian is at in Orlando is a much bigger market than where I am at. This might not be a big concern.

Any of you guys further north along the East coast, I was just browsing and found this truck. It's a twin of the one I am looking to buy.
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/big-trucks/find/listing/1997-GMC-8500-91529445#
It's 4 years older than the one I'm looking at but it's half the price! It could be a heck of a deal.

91529445_1thumb_550x410.jpg

I agree about it's four wheel driveness. Looks heavy as hell. It appears they list the weight as 36klbs, a big boy for sure.

Back