More truck engine problems

its really exciting, i blabbed before i went to get mine to:D and it was only half what yours cost!

Melon the size of Carl's, gonna take three or four noogies :lol: .

Hope you're having a safe trip, Brian. Look forward to the report when you return.

I'm back, they should be getting done with his truck soon. Not the most speedy of mechanics, but it's a fine truck indeed :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm home safe and sound. Er,,, I mean I'm home safe anyway. :P

I'm a space cadet, I didn't take a single picture of the new truck today. In fact I only took one picture the whole trip, and that was a picture of a headache rack on a different truck. I'll post more details tomorrow. For now I just need to unwind for a few after driving 9 hours straight in a 27K lb truck (the air ride seat and cruise control helped, but not a lot).

I almost got an $1100 fine at one of the DOT weigh stations because I was not given a temporary tag to get the truck home, but they let me go with a warning. First stop tomorrow is the tag office.

Glad your home safe and in one piece, looking forward to some pix of the new rig.

Earlier there was some discussion of headache racks and while in Alabama I saw a truck with the type of headache rack I'd like for my new truck. Since I often have to squeeze my truck in beside houses, under eaves or around corners, I think the standard headache rack with front supports sticking out from the front bumper would end up getting in the way and prevent me from accessing some jobs. Something like this would offer some additional protection and not add to the width or length of the truck.

I noticed a couple guys reading this thread again, so I went back through it. Figured I'd answer a couple unanswered questions. First of all, the problem with the old truck ended up being a blocked checkvalve in the fuel pickup, designed to hold the fuel prime. There was crud in it restricting fuel flow. I think this would have been obvious if any of the mechanics had done a fuel flow/ pressure test, but I guess it was more profitable to install new injectors instead. Oh well, it's only money.

On the new truck, I've identified a couple things. The switch on the dash above the radio is the light switch for the 5 marker lights on top of the cab. They do not come on with the headlight switch, they have their own switch.

In the bucket, that 'bag' with the red knob on top is an emergency hydraulic shutoff. It cuts off all hydraulic pressure to the upper controls and it came in handy last week when I popped a hydraulic line. I'm planning on addressing the line layout and tucking them in a bit tighter under the boom. They stick out way too far under the winch and are constantly in my way and getting smooshed into the trees.

Also, the two black knobs to the right of the emergency shutoff are pretty handy as well. They are air plunger type switches, you push the knob down and one of them will stop and restart the truck engine, the other is your fast idle control to raise or lower the engine speed.

Cool. That is strange having the roof marker lights on their own switch? Can't really figure why someone would bother? Thought maybe with a roof rack on for night driving they might find it distracting but if memory serves your new truck doesn't have a roof rack right?

Most large commercial trucks have a seperate circuit for the cab clearance lamps.

Back