More truck engine problems

Dang Brian!!! I am a pessimist, I look for and expect the worst, if I am wrong, it's wonderful, but if I am right I don't feel let down.
When it comes to other people, I HATE being right!!! Sounds like things might be taking a turn for the worst on this deal!!
I am leaning more and more towards the injector pump being the problem, I really hope I am wrong!!!

Sorry Al, it's an 8.2 Detroit turbo.
GMC is another term for Detroit,the same basic design. This is a 2 cycle diesel I presume?? If that is true that design or it's off shoots were sold as Detroit GMC or Electromotive depending on the size,age and usage.

If my presumtion of the origin is correct the older versions such as the 71 series meant 71 cubic inch per cylinder,very common but old.The larger versions used as locomotive or marine engines could be several hundred cubic inchs per cylinder.

Mind you this is an assumption on my part because I have no idea if General motors Corp. ,the makers of this engine now has a 4 cycle or not.Their claim to fame was two cycle ,blower driven scavanging air engines.

Al, this is not a 2 stroke like your thinkin about. It is a V8 4 cycle mid 80's era. Was devoloped by GM to compete with the 3208's.

It doesn't have an injector pump like a regular motor either. It has a common rail fuel system. The plunger and the injector are one unit actived by a rocker arm off of the camshaft like a valve with some linkage that adjusts the fuel amount from the throttle control. I have one in my bucket truck also and mine is a POS. It is about 500 cid and has about 165 hp as mine is configured and about 230 with a turbo like Skwerls is setup.

They sound pretty cool when they are running smoothly.

A guy I used to work for had one in his dump truck. Very smooth and powerful engine. But he always puckered whenever it acted the least bit funny. I am starting to understand why now.

Does the truck run at all? Does it run good, and then suddenly quit? I had a go-round with an 8.2 last fall in one of the farm trucks. There is a cut off solenoid that shuts the fuel off. It was having a number of problems, and then finally quit for good. Apparently this is quite common with this engine. Don't know if this helps, but couldn't resist the opportunity to be an armchair mechanic.:roll: Hope you get through it without a lot more dough spent. The 8.2s I have seen have all been rather reliable.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The truck runs fairly good when sitting still but will spit and sputter sometimes when under load. Low power and when it starts missing it can stumble until you take your foot off the accellerator and allow it to 'catch up' with the fuel it has. Put it in neutral and rev it up and it seems to clear out.

I've tossed and turned over it all night (as well as the thought of $1200 truck payments for another truck) and decided that I'm not bringing my truck back to the last mechanic. If I cannot trust him to replace a hose clamp or put a fan belt on properly then he has no business tearing my motor apart and playing with the fuel injectors at $80 per hour.

The shop that put in the Jasper motor a year ago ended up calling in a guy from Daytona or somewhere to set up the fuel injectors. He had the tools and gauges to set them up. I'm going to call that shop this morning and get the name and phone number of that guy. Maybe I can get my truck up to Daytona and see if he can fix it. That's only 45 miles away.

decided that I'm not bringing my truck back to the last mechanic.

Yeah, you might need a fresh look at it. Everyone here seems to be thinking it through. Are any lightbulbs going off for you? Dave mentioned solenoids, I hate soleniods, seems like that part gets replaced with three others to fix a problem.

I got hold of the guy from Daytona. He's a mobile service so he will come down here to work on it. He said he may be able to get down this afternoon or tomorrow and take a look. He's been to technical school on the Detroit 8.2 and has all the shop manuals and tools to work on it.

He also said that I wasted my money getting new injectors. :(

I got hold of the guy from Daytona. He's a mobile service so he will come down here to work on it. He said he may be able to get down this afternoon or tomorrow and take a look. He's been to technical school on the Detroit 8.2 and has all the shop manuals and tools to work on it.

Cool, glad he can come to you!

Frig man I hate it when people don't actually know what they're doing, but they'll learn on your dime. That sucks.

Sure hope this mobile guy works out for ya, if so don't lose his number.;)

Frig man I hate it when people don't actually know what they're doing, but they'll learn on your dime. That sucks.

Sure hope this mobile guy works out for ya, if so don't lose his number.;)

That is a shoddy way a lot of shops nowadays do business unfortunately. They go in with the mindset of... "Hopefully if I replace XXXX I will get lucky and the truck will run better. If it doesn't, at least the customer gets new XXXX, and I can get them to believe that I did them a favor." What a shitty way to do business...:X

Like said earlier... if a shop doesn't do the basic engine trouble shooting things like compression checks, and the like.... and can't even put belts on correctly, or misses putting on hose clamps... they are crooks.

Sorry to hear all the troubles Brian... hopefully the guy from Daytona will be able to get that monster runnin' right. :)

Gary

that does sound like an air restriction, hopefully the guy didnt leave a rag in the intake!
jasper does a 3 year warrenty, have you looked into that?

I'll look into the warranty as soon as I can find a mechanic to diagnose the problem and see if it's covered or not. Jasper won't come out and fix it, I still need somebody to do the work.

No word from this latest guy yet. Hopefully he can come out this afternoon to at least get an idea what he's dealing with.

My big 3 day job has been postponed again, now it's supposed to start Wednesday. I made $60 this morning helping a buddy with a little $225 job. :roll:

I made $60 this morning helping a buddy with a little $225 job. :roll:
Ya gotta do what you gotta do. A little bit is better than nothing.

That danged tree business seems to be feast and famine or so it seems to me.You have to make hay while the sun shines then stow it away for the rainy day.

Having spent thousands of dollars on replacing parts, I have come to the conclusion that it is better to diaqnose correctly, then fix the problem.

Their was a recent court case where the 'factory authorized' shops were not getting the correct or complete diagnosis information from the manufacturer.

The factory wanted to retain this info. so as to keep the general public in the dark as to how to properly fix their cars on their own.

They won the court case, and now the factory must supply the correct info. to the 'factory authorized' repair shops....

Back