More truck engine problems

I'm starting to wonder about the transfer pump. This is like armchair quarterbacking.

I have not reread the whole thread here, did they do a pressure test on the lift pump? this pump is what delivers fuel to the primary high pressure pump.

I have not reread the whole thread here, did they do a pressure test on the lift pump? this pump is what delivers fuel to the primary high pressure pump.
Lift,transfer,same same.If it is a common rail system ,this is the pump that gets the fuel to the injecters as has already been said.

Again attempting to diagnose things over the net, hundreds or thousands of miles away is just a dice roll.I could however possibley see a faulty injecter,maybe several but not all of them.I'll cast my ballot for some thing in the low pressure delivery portion of the fuel system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's correct, Carl. I still haven't heard from him this morning so I'm going to try calling him again. He quoted me a $150 trip charge over the phone plus whatever time he has working on the truck. Not a problem since he's coming from over 50 miles away.

I'd also immagine he's in a 3/4 ton or bigger pick up, gas aint free and all.

Good to hear some some people practice what they preach (get what you pay for professional wise).

:)

Good vibes amigo.

too bad you dont live here in iowa---guy is a nut not 8 miles from me on detroits---hes good--says there is no other brand!!!

Well, still no word from anybody. I talked to Mechanic #4 (the guy from Daytona) Monday morning and he promised to try and come look at it Monday afternoon or Tuesday. Today is Wednesday and he has not called and my calls to him go straight to voice mail.

This morning I called back the shop which put in the new injectors and talked with the manager about the misaligned belts, missing clamps and the oil filler cap which was cross threaded and about to fall off. He kept trying to get me to bring the truck back in (even though the mechanic isn't even in the shop today) but he understood why I was reluctant to do so.

The Good News!!!

I looked at pictures of a few more trucks from National Utility Co in Alabama and the trucks and prices look fantastic. 2001-2002 model AM855's with automatic, air brakes and AC priced in the $50's. I spoke with the finance department and they said with my credit rating I could expect easy qualifying at about 7.5-8.5% rates for a 60 month term. I printed, filled out and mailed the application this morning. I'm hoping to drive up there later this week to look over some trucks and see if I can make a deal. Once I'm in another truck then I can let that shop take as long as they need to get the old truck running right. Then I'll put it up for sale.

Here's the one that would be my first choice based on the info emailed to me:

Year: 2001
Make: Chevrolet
Model: C7H042 Chevy
VIN: 1GBP7H1C31J508383
Engine: 3126
Transmission: Md-3560P
GVWR: 035220
Mileage: 48043
Brakes: AIR
Body Type: Utility
Price: $59,000.00

|Prices include an Operator's Manual, current dielectric test (if |
|applicable), two (2) wheel chocks, harness and lanyard(s), fire |
|extinguisher, reflector kit and a Free In Service at your location (upon |
|request). Full payment due at time of, or prior to, customer possession of |
|unit. Every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information|
|contained herein; however, please contact an Altec representative to verify |
|current conditions.

DSCN0804.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

Is it just me or does that bucket look kind of crooked in the first pic? What's the specs on that boom, material handler I assume?

Yeah, it looks like the pillow block that the bucket is sitting on is misaligned. No biggie.

As far as specs, it's 5' taller than my old one. 60' working height and the same 2000 lb material handler. It's an Altec AM855.

Stop the presses just a second. My buddy Tom the tree guy had one of those damned Altecs that had a fiber optic control system on the boom.

The truck was fine,in good shape etc but the danged control system gave him fits.

That truck looks good ,I'm just giving a heads up on the situation as experianced by him.Not everybody has the equipment,knowledge or repair parts to service those booms. The closest repair center from here is Baltimore Md.

Thanks Al. I have an Altec authorized regional service center about 7-8 miles from me but they are not allowed to work on anything more than 15 years old. They won't look at my old truck but will be easily available if needed for a newer truck.

Brian, I'm glad thge guy with some rep is coming to you but I was looking forward to the headline "Squirrel Takes Bucket Truck To Daytona"

Would you consider anything other than the material handler??

Absolutely not, Andrew. That winch on the boom has saved my bacon on a lot of jobs. Most of the small companies I work for have minimal equipment and being able to lift loads with the boom is a huge money maker for me.

Ed, I was attempting to be funny. ;)

Back