More truck engine problems

What about all of the other running lights on a truck? Most trucks I own/have owned have marker lights on the cab, never caused any problems with the headlights. I'm no electrical genius but I can't follow how they could affect the headlights?

big trucks usually have 2 circuits, if one fails your not running tottaly unmarked

That would make sense to me. But you're telling me that one circuit is the five roof markers and the other circuit would be all the rest of the running lights?

Heh I'm Canadian, difficult by nature.:D

no, by memory (which is bad) the 3 lights that usually run across the rear center of the trailer, and the cab lights are on one and the rest of the trailer markers are on another.

all of my clearence lights and cab lights ran through the head light switch on my bucket when i bought it. i took it to the truck shop and asked them to run a second circuit with second switch, fix a backfeed in the fourways and change the oil for me. they hit me for 500 bucks to change the oil and replace the "bad" headlight switch. :grr: i ended up just putting the box lights on a solinoid that was activated by the headlight switch. works fine now

Ouch, all of my stuff including my biggest truck(f-700) are on one switch for everything. I'm thinking I'm just gonna leave well enough alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What a blast from the past! I noticed somebody reading this thread and took a look. Hard to believe it's been over three years since I bought the new truck and I am still convinced that it was probably the single best financial decision I have ever made in my entire life. Some of you guys struggling with old, worn out gear might want to read through this again and see if you can relate to the frustration and anger dealing with constant breakdowns. I'm still making the big $1121 monthly payments on the new truck and will for two more years, but my production has doubled and I am much more financially secure than I ever was before.

Cool, i'll be looking for a chip truck in the next couple years, tired of working on this old one

What a blast from the past! I noticed somebody reading this thread and took a look. Hard to believe it's been over three years since I bought the new truck and I am still convinced that it was probably the single best financial decision I have ever made in my entire life. Some of you guys struggling with old, worn out gear might want to read through this again and see if you can relate to the frustration and anger dealing with constant breakdowns. I'm still making the big $1121 monthly payments on the new truck and will for two more years, but my production has doubled and I am much more financially secure than I ever was before.

Sounds like you made a good choice Brian. I will be selling some of our old equipment due to some recent "upgrades". It's nice to have some new horses in the stable!

I read the first page, and the last...could you tell me how you squared away the problem?

Cory, I took off the gas cap and then drove a new truck under it. :P

Actually I spent a few thousand dollars having lots of unnecessary work done before the mechanic finally found the problem. The fuel pickup in the tank was plugged, but they fixed it for free (after charging me $2600 for fuel injectors I didn't need).

This is a timely thread for me. You might remember about a year and a half ago we cracked the head on our GMC Topkick. That was about 7 large to fix. Last weak we had some pretty severe engine problems which would have cost another 7 to 8k to fix. We decided on a putting a remaned engine in instead at a cost of 15k and 3 weeks of down time. In the last 3 years we have stuck so much money into that stinking engine that we could have bought a new truck. Once we get this thing paid off we will be buying a NEW truck. A used one is what we needed to get us started but we will never again buy used. Expensive lesson learned.

Wow, Brian, amazing how it is usually simple things that are the problem! Glad the truck has been good to you since. Nothing better than equipment that runs well and makes you money.

Actually I sold that truck to Stumper. I bought my current truck due to the frustration of this ordeal. The new truck had a few issues as well but overall it has been an overwhelming improvement.

Back