more mini notches

A 4 footer is a load to handle. I can't imagine a 6 or 7 footer .

They claim in the old days Mall had one that was a 12 footer but I've never seen one .

Man! this Thread is realy Hot.:lol::lol:

Ok get your bars out.:lol::lol:

Cheers
ACE

Attachments

• ACEtreebig1.jpg
    ACEtreebig1.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 22
Hey Ace , WELCOME to the HOUSE ! Those are some awesome pics to add ! ... we were just talking about the Giant Euc's you work in regular on another thread just the other day ...

Hey Ace , WELCOME to the HOUSE ! Those are some awesome pics to add ! ... we were just talking about the Giant Euc's you work in regular on another thread just the other day ...

Altissimus,
Cheers, it's good to have a read around the new TREE HOUSE.
Point me to that Euc thread

ACE

You do have to run a "Pilot Cut" with another Saw before you use a long Bar in a Horizontal Cut.The Bar Bows when held Horizontally and the Chain Flys off.

This is a Six Foot Bar that was on display at the Local Saw shop.The owner was kind enough to lend it to me.To be fair I could have dumped the Spar with a 36" Bar,but wanted to use the 6 footer.

Attachments

• Mike and Chris.jpg
    Mike and Chris.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 15
I now have first hand verifiable experience with this "mini wedge" now. The "climber on crack" we used at Mom and Dads seems to subscribe to it's virtues. These are FACTS that I HAVE experienced FIRST HAND! No hyperbole BS, no speculation, no physics guessing, KNOWN results.

Does it work? Kinda.
Does it guide the tree in the proper direction? Hell no! I had two instances where not only did the tree rotate, it went 45deg to the hinge, sheer pulling force was the ONLY thing that saved the targets!
Does it pull easier? Hell no! It took ten times more force to pull than a normal notch would have taken, and the hinge could have been set instead of having to nip here and there in hopes of it going over!
Is it easier to set up? Hell yes! He had a court date so it was churn and burn as fast as he could!
Is it practical? HELL NO!!
Will I use it again? HELL NO!!
I don't know how or why this was even thought of, it is UNSAFE and DANGEROUS in EVERY conceivable manner! Use of this will end with someone getting hurt or major property damage, not if, but WHEN!! If I had not been paying as close attention as I was and just floored my truck at the EXACT right moment, we would have taken out a garage!
This is a STUPID and DANGEROUS practice, any one that wants to be that lazy and thinks they understand things that much better, well, they deserve what they are going to get!

Whew, Andy.
When I saw this thread up and running again, I thought the Murph had been resurrected.

Glad it was only you:)

And I agree with your review.

Murph goes into a dormant stage on occasion .Have no fear he always bounces back ever enthusiastic over some new redesign of the law of pysics and anti gravity .

Good for you Andy

For felling a spar those mini notches are ok but to me are a waste of time. Long before the days of the internet I would notch out a spar to almost center or even further. Along comes the internet with the 1/3 rule so I figure I was doing it wrong and started using the 1/3 rule . No matter how much lean a spar appeared to have in the right direction it seemed the darn thing would set back on the saw when doing the backcut or it took more effort than it should to pull the thing over. It took me awhile to figure this out but pulling a spar is different than pulling whole tree.

In whole tree pulling or felling you have the head or crown to help you commit the tree to the fall. Spar felling is nothing more than moving dead weight that is standing vertical. After finally getting this into my brain I went back to cutting the past the 1/3 mark for pulling over a spar. It makes a difference especially if your trying to pull a spar with a couple of guys on a rope. Let gravity help you to get the spar moving in the right direction. After I went back to my old bad habits there was no need for wedges to speak of, hand winching worked easier along with truck pulling.

Mini notches have ther place but like all techniques there is a time and a place for them. I have used them with no problems but not on anything I would call really big. A notch to me is nothing more than a type of relief cut in the direction of fall when your knocking a tree or a spar over. The backcut and hinge are more critical to me.

He is over at AS with his latestest vid. and eating up the reviews and making new converts to his style of cutting. Don't go over there much but he was top billing in the video forum so I just had to see what he was up to. He is kind of like Howard Stern, you may or may not like the guy but you always have to see what he will try next.

You have to give Murph credit, instead of hanging around to face criticism, he does go where he gets the good reviews. A showman first, tree worker second....or third.

Second cousin to PT Barnum twice removed perhaps .

I only maybe make to A S once twice a month and the buzz less .The only thing about being banned I miss is I can't view the damned vids .

I wish I was still over there; we'd have more members then, just from the AS (and even TB) sig with a link.

Spread the TH Word, ya'll. Please! I'll owe ya!

I think mini notches have their place but not in all situations. I for the most part stick to the 1/3 rule unless.... every tree is different and it is up to the sawyer to figure out what is best for the cut.

Back