milling thread

Very true Butch, but today's metal prices are insane as I found out last month when I built that 28' float / stage trailer.

Anybody on here use Granbergs ez-rail set-up? Seems like it'd be alot easier to set-up and have it true than just 2x4's and their brackets?

Anybody on here use Granbergs ez-rail set-up? Seems like it'd be alot easier to set-up and have it true than just 2x4's and their brackets?
I never used them Justin. Granberg did a nice job developing these Ez-Rails ,still takes a fair amount of setup time though. For doing lumber over 14 feet long is going to get pricy with the extra sections. The laser level video where they jump frogged the rails was interesting but the setup time was extensive.

Looks a little flimsy to me and extra care would be needed to avoid knocking it out of level. I like to cut long lumber over 20 ft and my setup is very sturdy, accurate and quick setting up.
When I'm milling with the Alaskan I wear a leather carpenters apron to carry my claw hammer, loggers tape measure, torpedo level , small tri-square, double headed nails, 2 flat wrenchs, and teflon shim strips. Nothing gets lost in the underbrush and is always on hand.

If you Google it you might be able to find the article a guy did using an aluminum ladder in conjuction with an Alaska type mill .

I found that with a ladder, you generally need to have some wedges or something inserted under the middle part rungs or rails, prevents some sag. Easy enough to do...

seems like a cheep, used aluminum ladder could be modified to Willard's set-up. maybe not as long, but if it was an extension ladder im sure you could put the sections end to end somehow. ive always used the system described in will's book, and you are right willard, it is slow to set up. if i had thought of something like your set-up way back when...Wills book was the only reference i had at the time. this thread makes me itch to blow the dust off my mill and attack some logs.

I recall using an extension ladder on some long logs, and when I ran out of length with the ladder, pulling out the extension and supporting it underneath, then continuing to cut. I don't remember how well it worked, just doing it. Same here on wanting to mill again, the mill hasn't seen much daylight in past years.

this thread makes me itch to blow the dust off my mill and attack some logs.
Same here Jaime:)

I see Granberg did a good job making use of the specialized aluminum tubing they make their slabbing rail brackets out of, they are now using it for their rails on the ez-rail setup. Good way to recycle.

I noticed one photo on the Granberg website of a elderly gentlemen with a cane holding up a long slab with the other hand eyeballing its straightness. He's probably the founder of the company ..........down there in California.

Can you imagine going into the redwoods like the old fellow probably once did and milling up beautiful extra long redwood beams:big-tongue4:

That would be cool for sure Willard!

Ez-rails are out, shipping is prohibitive. I'm going to be taking all the pics/info I have to my machine guy and see what we can come up with. If it's to expensive I guess I'll just stick with 2x4s and some brackets to mount them.

What do you think about the 2x12 recommendation in the instructions? A 2x12 with either angle iron or 2x2's down the sides.

I ordered up a 1/4 roll of oregons ripping chain through my local shop so 3-4days until I've got a proper chain. I've been resisting the temptation to tear into my logs until I've got the rail details sorted and get some proper chain.

I started out with a 2x12 - 10ft long with 3" angle iron on both edges for cutting short stuff but didn't bother going longer because of the extra weight and flex. It worked fine cutting 10ft and shorter and the log is 24" diameter or larger .

2x12 with 1" angle is what i used. with wills system of setting a string line (x2) and leveling lag screws every few feet i was able to mill logs as long as i wanted. just slide the 2x down the row of lags as you reach its end. i definitely think a wider guide makes for more consistently flat cuts, reduces the tendency to wobble the saw as you cut.

You'll probabley need to find a scaffold plank .I bought a number one 2 by 12 by 20 plank nearly thirty years ago that's never seen any weather .There isn't a knot bigger than the eraser of a pencil in it .I went through about 40 to find it at the time the kid at the lumber company asking why I was so praticular .--Simple my life depended on it .

That was a southern yellow pine plank which is about as heavy were as if it oak . You need one cut pretty close to center to get a good one.

Why not just use a cheap aluminum ladder? You can eyeball the rails for twist and sag, and correct it. Some blocks and attachment clips might require thought, or just drilling some holes through the rungs and shooting some screws through will hold it. It's only the first cut that requires the guide. Reasonably straight is sufficient, given the warp that unavoidably will occur when drying.

I will try that out Jay.

The sun is finally shining here so I'm going to be milling up a bit of a storm today once the temps come above freezing. I'm going to expirement a bit.

Thanks for all the tips.

Oh yah Jay, I've stopped by the bookstore I mentioned about 4 times now and they are never open. I don't know what's up, but I'll keep checking for awhile before giving up. Haven't called that number yet though, I'm using that as a last resort as I hate thinking I may be bothering someone.

When my book went missing as I said earlier, I went to the local library and the librarian found that Will Malloff book in a library in Regina, Saskatchewan I think.:?

She got it on loan for a month for me but it had to be sent back. I was able to photocopy alot of the content before I gave it back to her.

Well I've been a milling fool. I've got 14 or 15 boards sawed now, probably a dozen of them will make 2x12 or better. All nice fir curing under cover right in the spot were I'll eventually use them to build a proper tack room in the barn. I'm loving it, now I need more POWER!!!

Oh yah also cut a couple cants/beams and a big slab that I'm thinking has bench written all over it.

Yeah probabley a 400 HP giant bandsaw that cuts both ways about 90 thousand Bd ft per hour .In about three days you won't even be able to find his house just a giant mountain of sawdust .Mrs. Squish will be thrilled over that one no doubt .:lol:

:D

No, actually, I meant he'd likely go out and buy a shut down sawmill, all 15 acres of it with 200,000 sq. ft. of buildings housing a head saw and green chain facilities, and a drying kiln.

The Squisher Empire expands again!!

Back