Micro Pulleys

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Are they safe to work off of, or they meant only for tending your rope/hitch? I'm thinking the latter. I wanna get a pulley for pulling myself up a tree and I'd like the smallest possible.

The standard micro pulleys like CMI with the bolt through the center are rated for 5000 lbs or more and are as strong as the bigger pulleys. I wouldn't trust the ones with the tiny rivet pin through the pulley axis for repeated use as life support (like the Fixe pulley) no matter what the rating.

CMI0001.jpg

635119Lrg.jpg

I've climbed on CMI's micro's before, although I'm also not a fan of Petzel's take on it.

The normal TIP for me is a ART RG, which has a same size or smaller sheeve than the CMI Micro.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's just for if I wanna come down and then go back up again, orrrr I want to set it up high when I need to climb while being pulled.

I've always just used a natural TIP, but now I want a pulley. I don't plan to work of it, but who knows.

Working off a pulley is a most excellent way to save wear on the rope and make it easier to haul yourself about.

A little friction is good while climbing....ring and ring here.......or natural crotch. Pulley will be VERY fast if you FOCK up:/:

Although I haven't tried steel rings, all aluminum rings I've used have sucked slobber encrusted hairy moose lips.

I started traditional climbing on natural crotches, thinking people were nuts to spend $200 on a Rope Guide. After giving it more thought I bought one, now I have two, probably getting a third at the ISA Expo.

If one focks up, I don't think the chance that the added friction will amount to much "skin of teeth" saved.

I'm a big boy, will take all the help I can get :)

Pan-the-raba used my RG for a little bit at the rendezvous in 06, he seemed to like it.

OK so how do you get that pulley up and back....I aint taking no rope guide thingy...............Your exaggeratting a bit there Carl...

a pulley is the smoothest you can get.

MB- yes, most slack tending pullies are strong enough, just check first. Some are not good enough. My suggestion would be the CMI. 7,000 pounds, simple, the clip hole is large so you can rotate the carabiner in the pulley, and it is by no means expensive.

I say go for it. I got one I can loan ya, but the shipping barely makes it worth it.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nah, I'll order one, probably the Glide pulley.

But thanks for the offer! Now buy a TH tee, dammit!!!

OK so how do you get that pulley up and back....I aint taking no rope guide thingy...............Your exaggeratting a bit there Carl...

It takes two ropes. Tie a carabiner to the end of Line 1, clip pulley to 'biner, set your climbing line in the pulley, then use Line 1 to haul up the climbing line.

love
nick

If you don't mind a de-rail Butch, I have been wondering if a tending pulley will work alright with a Blakes?

Butch, I climb on pulleys all the time and have used several kinds. Right now I am using the 2.4" CMI. $35 for the aluminum and $55 for the stainless steel at Sherrill.

I love climbing on pulleys. It does take some getting used to. Like No Bivy says you f...up, they are fast! Also it puts more load on your friction hitch so you might have to alter that slightly.

I use it the same method as Nick described. Sounds like a PITA but it goes quick once you figure it out. It is worth the effort to try.

Dave

If you are going to set a pulley on a sling, feed your climb line through it, come down, and then use it to pull yourself up again, then the pulley will work o.k.

Just remember that once you set that pulley, you MUST go back up and get it.
The ring and ring friction/cambium savers are much much nicer to climb on. But, I seem to get them stuck on retrievels all the time.

If you are going to set a pulley on a sling, feed your climb line through it, come down, and then use it to pull yourself up again, then the pulley will work o.k.

Just remember that once you set that pulley, you MUST go back up and get it.
The ring and ring friction/cambium savers are much much nicer to climb on. But, I seem to get them stuck on retrievels all the time.

this is the way i do it.

Attachments

• DSC02146.JPG
    DSC02146.JPG
    685.3 KB · Views: 18
Back