Micro Pulleys

I've tried the pulley thing, came to the conclusion amongst others that a little friction is nice. Ring and ring now when I know my TIP won't change throughout the work order.

I use one of these on a Petzl cambium saver attached with a Mallion or I use a Elderid cambium saver.

Probably too tight a bend radius, when/if I get a rope guide I will retire it.

Attachments

• SmallPrus.jpg
    SmallPrus.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 99
"For hauling yourself up" the pulley is the most efficient, without a doubt. But for "rappelling and working" the little bit of friction afforded by the rings makes your friction hitch work a lot smoother.

Harken made a little pulley with an internal ratchet. Rotate effortlessly one way and lock the other. Thus affording some friction on the line when running the opposite direction. Seems it would be the best of both worlds.

OK so how do you get that pulley up and back....I aint taking no rope guide thingy...............Your exaggeratting a bit there Carl...

Exaggerating on which part?

Aluminum rings suck? I've done a single climb on 3-4 different mfg's of rings, all are seriously grooved by the time I get back down. Getting 3-4 climbs on a set of rings kinda blows IMO. Steel would undoubtedly be better.

The RG can be set from the ground although the retrieval isn't as pretty. If you'll be climbing up to the TIP, you can set up the retrieval when you get there.

Hugashe, I don't think Butch wants to add another line to create a floating false crotch.
Just use one climbing line, simple and easy. Also not having to worry about tying the pulley rope to the base of the tree is a plus.

wow carl! ive climbed on aluminum rings for at least a year with no problems like that. shoot, i may have them in the shop still

"For hauling yourself up" the pulley is the most efficient, without a doubt. But for "rappelling and working" the little bit of friction afforded by the rings makes your friction hitch work a lot smoother.

Harken made a little pulley with an internal ratchet. Rotate effortlessly one way and lock the other. Thus affording some friction on the line when running the opposite direction. Seems it would be the best of both worlds.

So once again, Mr. B. hits the bulls eye. This has been of great interest to me for years. I use the same set up as hugashe (except with a better rope ;)) and like all systems, there are advantages and disadvantages and particularly in this case, lots of room for innovative improvement.

The block being my main focal point for the moment. As Gerry stated, Harken makes a ratchet block called Rachamatic in 75 mm. It is close to perfect but it's not quite there for this application. The Rachamatic runs freely in both directions until a load is placed on it. Then the rachet engages to produce a 15:1 or 50 lbs resistance. This would be tremendous. Friction hitches or devices wear out very fast when using a pulley. This would reduce that wear. The problem with the Harken, 3/8" line max and 3000 lbs tension strength.

I have searched for other blocks and so far no go.

Dave

I've seen that thing....it is cool, a "spin/static" pulley

Hugashe, I don't think Butch wants to add another line to create a floating false crotch.
Just use one climbing line, simple and easy. Also not having to worry about tying the pulley rope to the base of the tree is a plus.

I think Butch said he wanted to use a pulley to gain access to a tree (requires a FFC) as well as use one for reentry---only needs a sling.

I use adjustable friction savers, made by Nick...with a biner and pulley on one side, and biner on the other...reduces the friction in half....and I like that combo. If I'm doing a large removal, and working off a pulley, the increased load on the friction hitch takes a little getting used to.

For tree access, a FFC is my favorite method, especially if there's two groundies to pull me up!! (just make sure the FFC is in a stout crotch!!

Butch, all this new school stuff you're on about has us skeered....you been dippin' into the hooch??:O

Nah, I'll order one, probably the Glide pulley...

30209.jpg

When you posted this the first time, my initial reaction was, "ew- don't get that one." But as I thought of it, I couldn't remember why I didn't like that pulley as a pulley. I thought about it when I woke up today. You can't attach that pulley midline. Your rope would have to be fed in from the end. For general use, I recommend the CMI RP110

pull-rp110.jpg

Or the Petzl Fixe

Produit_Image_351.jpg

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Concerning a friction saver, do I need to order that 'lil ball thingy to retrieve it from the tree?

It's not necessary, Butch, but it does work well. You can just tie an overhand knot in the tail of your rope.

All that ball thing is, is a bungee cord tarp attachment...you can usually get them at hardware stores for less $$, but in a package of more than you likely need :). Just replace the bungee cord with some small diameter prusik cord.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=1726

The knot sometimes will get momentarily jammed in the big ring. You can just give it a flip and it'll set free. The retrieval ball never gets jammed.

I find people like the ball, but you need to know about the knot, too.

love
nick

i whip the knot against the tree a few times before i pull it up, shrinks the knot enough to go through the big ring. i also tie it close enoughto the end so the tail clears the big ring

I've tried the pulley thing, came to the conclusion amongst others that a little friction is nice. Ring and ring now when I know my TIP won't change throughout the work order.

Yep! Friction has to go somewhere. And it goes all into the hitch. I find that the V.T. will get much hotter with a pulley.:blob6:

I like the little pear shaped quick link thingie for retrieval of ring to ring f. savers. In sherrill, made by petzl I believe.

oh yah, I like to use a throw line on one side when retrieving out of a crotch that just might hang up. saves some cursing

go to the hardwere store and get a small ring. tie some zingit on as a loop then you can gurth it on the climbing line then just give it a yank

Back