Micro Pulleys

Something with an outside diameter of 1" will work perfectly to fit through the big ring, but get caught in the little ring.

love
nick

Unless you have a spliced eye on your climbing line Butch, just tying a knot for retreival may be best. The yellow retrieval ball is usually girthed into an eye splice, and may not hold real well just girthed around the end of the line.
It would be just begging to fall apart.

Has always worked for me just hitched around the climbing ropes that are w/o spliced eye, John...never have had it come off. I don't just girth it around the rope, I prusik it...and use a fairly flexible cord for that.

If you don't mind a de-rail Butch, I have been wondering if a tending pulley will work alright with a Blakes?

YES - i use that setup with a cmi on an open splittail.

THE fixe is a bit wider at the opening and when on the biner is not a tight fit, I use that with a mongoose biner a different fit - Rope/pulley/biner.

I also like the CMI the best - as it has a nicer feeling on the rope and it is rated where the fixe is not. (depending on the use)

hmm

Last edited:
I just cannot picture Butch doinking around with one of those false crotches.
The first time it gets stuck, which will be the first time he pulls it out, he will abandon the whole gig.

For me, I have gotten them stuck so many times now I avoid using them when I am coming down on one after the job is done. Way too many times I will be finished with a tree, long day, looking forward to a shower, and i have to re-climb the tree to get that damm false crotch.

For me, I have gotten them stuck so many times now I avoid using them when I am coming down on one after the job is done. Way too many times I will be finished with a tree, long day, looking forward to a shower, and i have to re-climb the tree to get that damm false crotch.

Interesting. What if, let's just say, you didn't go back up for it and it stayed up in that damn ash tree for 4 months, then a winter storm blows through, knocks it down and the customer calls to tell you. It would probably be a little faded on one side, but still looks pretty good. Would you still climb on it? This is all theoretical of course. Let's say, for the sake of conversation, it was a Buckingham ring & ring. :|:

TS

haha, doesnt sound theoretical:D

if its an iffy crotch, dont put it in! otherwise i use em often, havent gotten one stuck in years

Interesting. What if, let's just say, you didn't go back up for it and it stayed up in that damn ash tree for 4 months, then a winter storm blows through, knocks it down and the customer calls to tell you. It would probably be a little faded on one side, but still looks pretty good. Would you still climb on it? This is all theoretical of course. Let's say, for the sake of conversation, it was a Buckingham ring & ring. :|:

TS

You could go all day with those scenarios. Ropes take a surprisingly long time to degrade. Gerry Baranek hung a rope in the spruce at jughandle park, it stayed up there for I think 15-20 years. He then had it tested and the strength had dropped only a small amount. (I climbed that rope).

But your question is silly because you are asking me to place your life in my hands. If you are willing to do that, I think our time would be better spent if you came over to my place and worked as an indentured servant. I work you like a rented mule for say, 10 years, and when done, simply throw you away. Hows that? Monday work for you?
:)

Only you can truly determine if a questionable piece of PPE is o.k. for you to use. You could have it tested.

Found this in a large Oak tree, it was just hanging draped over a small branch, the landowner said the last people up the tree had been there about 3-4 years previous.

It looked brand new from underneath but a little green on the top side.

Attachments

• SP_A0874.jpg
    SP_A0874.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 7
  • SP_A0875.jpg
    SP_A0875.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 11
if its an iffy crotch, dont put it in! otherwise i use em often, havent gotten one stuck in years

I'm of the opinion that I only need one if it's an iffy crotch. Nice, wide open crotches don't need a friction saver because the rope rides quite well without it. I look for a fork on a limb about the size of my wrist.

So if you can't use them on the nasty, tight crotches where your rope won't ride very well, then why even carry the damn thing up in the tree? Sounds like they mostly work in situations where there is little or no benefit from using them.

Found this in a large Oak tree, it was just hanging draped over a small branch, the landowner said the last people up the tree had been there about 3-4 years previous.

It looked brand new from underneath but a little green on the top side.

That, is nothing I have ever seen before. Must be home made. The hardware buckle looks like something used in cinching up a webbing strap.

Check with Gerry B. send him a PM and ask if he has ever seen one of those before...

Overall tho, it looks fine. Like Butch, I would not know how it was designed to be used...

That, is nothing I have ever seen before. Must be home made. The hardware buckle looks like something used in cinching up a webbing strap.

Check with Gerry B. send him a PM and ask if he has ever seen one of those before...

Overall tho, it looks fine. Like Butch, I would not know how it was designed to be used...

I'm not so sure it's home made as it has a label, part of the first word is illegible, all I can make out is, tecta international, but there are some letters befor tecta, I just cant make them out.

I was thinking maybe it's from the rope access industry?

Back