Mandatory Training.... Logging ain't a GAME

I teach, I climb, I work

A teacher who doesn't preface their session by finding out something about their students FIRST is going about it the wrong way.

Teaching adults is different than kids by a long shot, huge amounts of experience can be present in the class, as well as absolute numpties...finding out who's who and what's what is very important!

I always tell my groups that safety (risk assessments, PPE, work methods) will be a big part of what's going to happen during the course, the reasons are that the awarding body I teach for requires it to cover liability should there be an incident, and, and I think somewhat more importantly, it gives a depth of knowledge and a benchmark that either never existed or is a timely reminder for those who might have become complacent. I always stress that this is training and now is the time to practice, ask questions and get comfortable. It also a time to share different ideas, once the basics have been laid down.

If someone is teaching a standardized, certified course, there is a set syllabus and it must be covered in order for the assessment to be valid...it does limit things to some degree, but I also tell folks that they will come across different ways of doing things, that this is the basics and tried and tested methods that will work.

Once people are back out in the workplace, at least they are armed with that extra knowledge of what COULD happen, and may decide to do things a bit differently, adjust a technique, add a bit of PPE, whatever...if they don't, well at least they can't say they didn't know!

Training is only a foundation, and foundations are meant to be built upon...if the foundation is sound the rest added over the years will hold.

Howdy Bermy,

Do you offer a "boat Pruning" course in Bermuda?

That's my kind of job (I fell in again).

Gotta love boat pruning...mangroves, mucky muddy, wet and salty.
Notice the lack of PPE, no lifevest, whistle, strobe light, water wings....;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Educational Update ..... I showed up with the right attitude , got along good with the instructor everything was going sweet ... UNTIL , I was facing out a yellow birch promptly hit an unseen nail ... dull demostator saw ... the next saw he produced had a low idle problem (no Low idle) ...The two times it quit I was fnishing my newly placed box and borihg my backcut , without even thinking about it I pulled out and .... you guessed it ! I drop started the saw in front of the instructor and group which is a MAJOR safety faux pas .... points off ! I musta got called "OLD SCHOOL" twenty times today ....

Not to blame the damm saw but .... If it'd idle I wouldn't have to resort to such dangerous practices .... anyways limbing and bucking tomorrow .... I'll try harder !

How much money did it cost you and how deep are the wounds from the verbal lashings?
:P[/QUOTE]

Those guys consider "OLD SCHOOL" a major down .... I think of it as a complimentary term !

Old school rules. I would think that it would be a hard habit to fight(normal drop starting) in that situation of a stall. Oh man that's to funny, try harder tomorrow dammit.:P

:lol:

Dude it was so automatic at the point of stall that the instructor had to TELL me I dropstarted twice , when I turned around to see the group cracking up I sorta had to amit that I'd forgotten to use the two accepted grips for "properly" pull starting...

Pretend it's somebody like burnham that will be teaching the class. Try to go in open-minded. There's always more than just one way to drop a tree. Who knows, you might pick up a trick or two that could help you.

Exactly! Have fun with it!

My one complaint so far , is the constant references to Old School being WRONG/UNSAFE .... These guys act like they invented the bore cut .... all these techniques are merely an axtension of the old school they down ... other than that I'm on my way right now for day two ... I will post later ...

Back