Mandatory Training.... Logging ain't a GAME

That's not what the wcb officer I met with last year told me. You only need to be certified if the end use of the wood your cutting is some form of production. Otherwise if there's an accident your stump/situation will be scrutinized and they will determine whether you were a qualified faller in that scenario or not. I was suprised myself but that's what the guy told me. I've got the minutes from our meeting, he documented it all.

From what I have gathered the 2010 date is when everyone will be under the umbrella. But thats second hand info from the circles I hear from, not arguing with you. :)

The threat of it is why I am trying to help get the apprenticeship thing rolling, although any falling teaching/certification will have to be equal to the current fallers standard qualification.

Ahhh, could explain why I've heard a local company is putting a couple of their guys through some course in PG to get certified. Interesting.

Squash; This is right from the WorksafeBC website:

"Questions and Answers on
The Faller Certification Program
1. Who must be certified?
Anyone working in British Columbia who falls a tree larger than 6 inches in
diameter must be certified. New fallers must successfully complete the
WCB-approved BC Faller Training Standard program (or WCB-recognized
equivalent). Fallers with at least 2 years experience may challenge the BC
Faller Training Standard directly."

http://www.worksafebc.com/news_room/Assets/PDF/04_11_04/FallerCertificationProgram_Questions.pdf

and according to this its too late to grandfather in, limit was 2005, http://www.worksafebc.com/news_room/Assets/PDF/04_11_04/BackgrounderFallerCertification.pdf

Well it's interesting that the fellow would have discussed otherwise with me. I just pulled the inspection report from my file and on 05/09/07 we discussed a number of things along with, 'certification of handfallers' and 'qualified persons with respect to falling trees'. I remember being very specific with the fellow in defining what felling needed to be cert'd or not. Maybe time for another meeting sometime this winter, I'll be keeping your link their to ask about. My uncle is cert'd but I'm not, yet I do all the important cuts cause it's my insurance and I'm a control freak.:D

Probably just time to get my own cert but besides a control freak I'm also cheap and stubborn and resent that I have to pay and prove myself to someone just so I can continue to work. But!!! I will do what I have to.

No we're not I'm coming down there to illegally fell a tree on your house now!:D

No worries dude I respect your view/knowledge in official matters. I'm thinking the writing is on the wall and it's time to get my own cert together. I got a buddy in Pemberton who can do it for me I think, he offered to put me on his crew for a couple weeks and then line up the test for me. Couple of weeks would be a long time away from home for me though.

Altissimus, Like others are saying, just wrap your mind around a conviction that you are going to learn. Hopefully you'll learn some good falling info but if not you'll learn something about how to teach or how not to teach others , learn something from a fellow student, help someone else learn something...If you determine that you are wide open to learning and are going to work at benefiting somehow... you will.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What a training team Burnham and Jerry B would be.[/QUOTE]
For That Training I'd Pay , and actually leave Vermont to attend ....
Best Damm idea I've heard in along time .... P.S. ...I don't think either of those two would consider the "drop-start" a mortal sin ...

Lol, seriously no drop start? Damn. We'll all be expecting a full report on how the course went now.

You can't drop start? F' that!!! Don't go, what a bunch of morons!!! How do you start a saw?
Jeez........ I retract me earlier post now, it's not worth going:P

Mandatory training was routine during my service career, and most secondary occupations. Even if the training was redundant I still picked up on some good perspectives from the trainers, and we usually shared notes to boot.

Strict safety doctrines on the other hand puts me on the defensive right away. Because with that too much practical knowledge is sacrificed just for the ease of enforcing zero tolerance rules, and "shall".

For every rule there are exceptions. And that's where many programs fail. To cite the exceptions to their rules.

Ya know....... I drop start in the trees and the bucket all the time and i usually drop start my climbing saw whereever I start the little feller but ground and crotch starting bigger saws is really a good thing and it' s probably good to pushed to do it that way for a couple of days.

Oh I have the skill set to crotch/hold and start . also putting it in the ground ... setting the brake ...jamming your foot into the rear handle ...and then ever so safely starting ... but in my world I RARELY use these techniques .... G.F.B. thanks for adding ... didn't you refer to drop start as a neccesary "evil" that is a large part of saw handling

DMC posted a great pic of him severing off a chunk, tripping the cut, one handed. It's a classic. I'll have to dig it up, if nobody else does first.

But the point being,, the picture shows every issue in the debate of whats proper or not. I stand firm that the picture depicts the proper way to execute the cut while in the interest of staying clear of the work and the rigging.

A safety expert would tell you everything in the picture is wrong.

Be thankful your employer is committed enough to send you for PAID training. For that alone there are alot of guys that wish they had your burning problem. I've taught a lot of classes and continually go to training myself, Never once have I not come away with at least one new concept, method, or skill.

My Problem isn't Burning , maybe smoldering .... I really don't want to come off as a knowitall or an asshole , or a knowitallasshole .... and as of yet my only knowledge of this training is from several others who have taken the course , and I watched one of their Videos ... perhaps I will have a different opinion next week (after training)

Safety Expert VS. the Contractor Trying to Safely Make a Living .... one of the jobs I used to do a bit of was blocking truckloads (aprox. 8 cord + -) of firewood .... From the safety experts view the chopper should peavey EVERY log , one at a time , onto the runners ... then cut ..... at that time I was getting $100.00 a load ...If I spent all that time moving every log out before cutting I'd never have made $$$

G.F.B and Burnham have my respect as workers in the industry commanding much experience , can any one say that about a safety expert ???

Back