Mandatory Training.... Logging ain't a GAME

I just spent the last hour going through the last 5 CEU articles in Arborist News and getting the little quizzes done online, I learned stuff about mycorhizzae that I didnt know along with some other stuff, wheres the harm in a little knowledge sharing? At worst youare getting paid to go, as an employer I get to pay my own way for all that stuff AND I get to lose wages by not working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Copy that CursedV ... I will try to keep an open mind , as with any craft the learning never really ends ...

Thats why I like the landscape biz, most days I get to do something different and learn some new stuff, unless its a day of hedge trimming :shifty:

Paul B, you are correct as an employer and an employee I do see both sides ... I am in a good position , and even if I learn ONE new thing it will still help me long run as well as them

Paul in doing some poking around I think what the wcb officer that I met with was referring to was that the certification guidelines are written to apply to forestry operations and seeing how tree service/arborist work was still in this black hole that is rapidly disappearing that any felling activities that I'd be involved with would be assessed on the spot as to whether they're being done properly, hence the qualified falling for non-production that he mentioned. I'm guessing the end use of the wood is what designates it as forestry work or not, which makes sense, if you're taking wood out around here that will get milled(10' or greater lengths) you need a timbermark.

Can an officer stop a faller from falling if he is found not to be certified or registered?

WorkSafeBC cannot stop the faller if he is safely performing all aspects of his falling duties and with the exception of no certification is in compliance with all requirements under part #26. However, the employer in this particular circumstance must be advised that WorkSafeBC will undertake normal follow up to any non compliance matters and if it is determined that compliance is not achieved repeat orders and possible sanctions may occur.
http://www.worksafebc.com/news_room/news_releases/2005/backgrounders/bckgnd_07-25-05.asp

Not arguing just learning. I'm actually poking around to see what it should all entail to get me up to snuff before I'm just forced to do it anyways. You've inspired me into action Paul.

For what it's worth I'd love to take some training, and apparently I may have to to get my cert. But I'm in the same boat as Paul, training and downtime will cost me plenty. Atleast it would be a tax write off I suppose.

And another thing- You don't have to do it their way forever, just for a day or two. Get the thought out of your mind that you're going to teach the instructor anything, he's seen a few thousand hotheads and every one of them was an expert. Accept the fact that you won't be top dog for a couple days and just relax and have fun instead of trying to prove anything. If your posts in this thread are any indication, the only thing that can get in the way of your passing this training course is your attitude. They aren't going to teach you anything that will hurt you. It might take a minute longer than your way but there's no timeclock, and you can go back to doing it your way next week.
8)

SkewrlMon very astute ... the reason I started this thread was to try and move my attitude out of the way for two whole days , you are right !

my grandpa used to tell me "keep your eyes open and your mouth shut and you might learn something"

Just be glad they aren't making you watch any ExpertVillage tree felling videos! More dang whackos on the internet parading as "experts", pisses me off to no end.

I am sure the GOL is a respectable course, but as someone said, cookie cutter mentalities can be prevalent in this type of thing. I have seen a couple of videos by well known institutions that seem to lack any real scope of possible tree felling situations. They seemed to think every tree was a 10" diameter pulp log.:roll:

Regarding drop starting, I think it depends on your method. I start all of my saws brake on, no high speed lock. They start fine, and don't race against the brake. Those brake off, full throttle bucking bronco starts are for the F'ing birds.

Alt, keep a positive attitude, and enjoy the show.:)

I just finished the expert village series Now I'm cuttin' like a pro!

The best part?

It was free!

Yee haw!

Not...

Expert Village .... sounds like French Wine (Estate Bottled ... of course) , seriously are these experts like the "GAME" experts?

Expert Village .... sounds like French Wine (Estate Bottled ... of course) , seriously are these experts like the "GAME" experts?

No they are retards who have cut down a couple of trees and are so wet behind the ears and untrained that they don't have a clue as to what they really don't know. My favorite is an RPI engineering professor. Engineers know everything you know!

GOL teachers, at least in my experience, come from a background of real world cutting and logging.

Just to toss out one other perspective on this whole training scene from the instructor's side of the equation...

Many of you have refered to dissatisfaction with a trainer who either starts at a point where he apparently assumes no previous experience on the part of his audience, or lays out a set of absolutes in methodology.

Of course, it may be that these people are truly limited in their ability to see the grey area, the place where doing differently than the book says achieves a higher level of safety, or a higher level of productivity with little sacrifice in safety.

But it may well be that the reason for teaching the way they do has more to do with preserving the protections they have from liability. In my own case, my employer will back me to the end with legal expenses and personal liability from litigation by someone I have trained and certified as competant to perform the duties I signed off on IF, and only if, I have followed the established training program as I teach.

If I go off the reservation talking about situations where I'd advise one-handing an 066 in the tree, and students can truthfully testify that I did so, and then one of them gets hurt doing that very thing...well, my protection from exposure to civil liability litigation is out the window. If they get killed, criminal charges against me are not out of the question. Not a few FS instructors carry professional liability insurance at their own expense just because of this possibility.

So cut these folks a little slack if you can. It's not as easy a job as it might appear, and it's a fine line we sometimes have to traverse.

What's the big deal? Go to the training program, keep your mouth shut, and go home. You get a day's pay without having to risk your life. Keep the egos out of it.

No they are retards who have cut down a couple of trees and are so wet behind the ears and untrained that they don't have a clue as to what they really don't know. My favorite is an RPI engineering professor. Engineers know everything you know!

GOL teachers, at least in my experience, come from a background of real world cutting and logging.

This is the homepage:lol:
http://www.expertvillage.com/

One of Gary's vavorite videos (check out the series:lol:)

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/7155_felling-trees-planning.htm

Well I'm on the roster , two full days paid training next week with my mouth shut .... eyes and ears open ....

Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth I was always told. Even when ya know it when it's being taught, keep quiet and excel when called upon my friend ;)
I once ended up teaching a computer class in Basic that way as a teachers assistant... sure helped my grades ;)

10 print "This computer will self destruct"
20 x=x+1
30 if x<4,000,000 then goto 10
40 end

that used to drive the sales guys at radio shack nuts :shifty:

Back