man rated??

PCTREE

Treehouser
hey guys when talking with tower guys about Wraptors they always ask if they are "man rated" . Anybody have any insight into what this entails and who tests for it?? I think there could be a large market there but need to get all the necessary ratings.

Thanks

We always said man rated, but it just meant if it was life support. I would rate the wraptor the same way a figure 8 or hand ascender is rated, to like 8kn. Maybe there is more to it?

"Manufacturer recommends the use of a second man rated lifeline and anchor setup per OSHA and ANSI standards."

Make a tower specific model with a chain on the tie in that drops down to a spreader. Tower climbers use 6 D harnesses. A spreader will hook up to the lowest D's on the bosun. That way, however you rate that one, won't affect the tree model.

http://www.gmesupply.com/safety-equ...are/13450-3-4-separator-spreader-bar-snaphook

13450.jpg
7084.jpg

You could even include some of these:

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1499

Integrating a second rope into an anchor system, the bag, and package aint a bad idea either, then its turnkey and you can hit the markup on the other stuff.

Yes, the hip Dee's put your weight on your harness like a traditional tree harness, the Bosun hangs back out of the way.

If you clip into the lowest Dee's the bosun is supported and you just sit on it. There isnt any weight on the rest of the saddle. Its really nice if you have to be suspended in the saddle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick I like the idea of incorporating the double snap as a TIP however I have to be somewhat cautious as if my memory serves me Actsafe patented a flexible linkage to support the climber. I need to dig up that patent and read it again.

When I climbed lift towers at Mt Snow Ski Area, we used those harnesses....fairly comfortable yet 99% of use is for fall arrest... really never use the tool to its full designed advantage for safe work positioning...no adjustable safeties just lobster claws on the stitch deceleration lanyard ... load ratings seem to be figured at same ten to one for a fat worker with tools....should be fine compliment to Wraptor w / spreader on low dees

You have to add the work positioning element, it isnt included. Most tower workers use old school 3 strand buckstraps or fancier something like a grillion.

Paul, I would definitely try to go to bat for you here as well, if there is the opportunity. Having watched the guys extend the height of the transmission towers on the lines that go through town, I kept thinking, "Wraptor"! Those are some long climbs to the top and down. Guess you never had any developments from the guy here that had an interest?

I agree that man-rated equals life support, best I was ever able to make it out when I was cross-overing from tree climbing to tower work with the USFS. Now to get a solid definition of either can challenge a fellow.

As a man I approve of the Wraptor and give it a rating of ten out of ten. There the Wraptor is now man rated. :D

It's simply synonymous, but, like B said, it's yet to be written into the legalese. Big wheels turn slow. If anybody can cut to the chase and speed up the process I'll put my money on Paul to do it. I don't think he ever rests. Total left brain.

Back