How many is too many? Asking for a friend (cough)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I call those murder gate snaps, that key loves to cut and pick rope fibers.
I am using up some ally biners form my rock climbing day long ago. They will be fine for the trees I have in mind.

The pear links were a quick improv until I could get better gear. I still use them for tie downs and such. Actually have one holding the spare tire on the back of the Ram.

Last edited:
When we did that 45 pine removal back in 2015, the guys sure lit up when they saw all the boxes of new goodies.
I think in there was 50 new loop runners in two sizes, 25 new steel screw locks 50kn biners, HOBBS, 600 feet on Bandit climb rope, 600 feet on 1/2 stable braid, crane slings, hand saws. Sheesh. We bought a ton of stuff.
Gear to keep 3 climbers busy.

I don't really get new work stuff to play with. Can't remember what's it's like to just have fun stuff showup, perhaps with some Tshirts too. I just get basic supplies, and if it's fun, I usually buy it myself.

For tree stuff I've pored over everything so long, it takes the element of surprise away. Get the box, and it's "Yep. There it is. Looks just like it did in the catalog" :^D

At $22 too rich for my blood. I spose if I was doing more speedline stuff I could see myself springing for some but, nah, not at the moment. I do like the steel insert.

I glazed my stable-braid with a Large limb on a cedar, with an uncontrolled zip-line. $6 aluminum biners didn't care.

I have 8 of these I think, used to be 6$ each at TreeStuff but can’t find them there now. Price is crazy for the quality. Can’t even get Chinese junk biners for this price.

Good point.
But I doubt this kit will see anything above 75lbs. My other slings have the Kong captive eye steel biners.

I've bought a 100' piece of Home Depot rope for that stuff. Burns easily if run badly. Not my usual gear, but when I need 30, they come out.

Im surprised more of yall aren't using the 3/8s stable braid for light speed lining applications. Light, strong, doesn't melt......

Last edited:
Me too...(about myself.) I've got a couple hundred feet I used as a temporary winch line that would love to have a purpose in life.

How are you connecting it. Splices, knots?

Not really understanding the question Merle. I knot everything basically, with exception to my Tenex dead eyes that I splice myself or other things I have spliced for me.
On the zip line, the 3/8ths is the zip line not the slings.
I would either tie the line directly around the bole or do a basal tie if I preset the zip line over a limb or crotch. What is nice about the 3/8ths is that it is light, somewhat heat resistant, and you have less friction for light loads than say a 1/2" line.
I think you could splice some nice slings out of it. Eye on each end. My hands are just not up for splicing a bunch and I have no interest in doing it. I find no joy.

I’ve always wondered how 3/8 Stable Braid would be for a climbing line.
Think the diameter is a no-go if your company adheres to ANSI standards, but otherwise looks suitable and should be really static.

It would suck for drt, but maybe srt? As long as you only have to handle mechanicals, it would save some weight in the tree.

Back