Options For Manually Moving Material?

Log arches work with atvs and winches too, they even have ones you pull behind a truck for moving much bigger logs/ bundles. As far as the winch goes do they make a smaller capacity but quicker one? Maybe a bigger capstan for it? Your capacity has to match the rope a bit closer, you're paying for/waiting on mechanical advantage you likely can't use.

Log arches work with atvs and winches too, they even have ones you pull behind a truck for moving much bigger logs/ bundles. As far as the winch goes do they make a smaller capacity but quicker one? Maybe a bigger capstan for it? Your capacity has to match the rope a bit closer, you're paying for/waiting on mechanical advantage you likely can't use.
yes they do. the 1,8 t version has two gears, second gear is 900 kg pull and obviously twice the speed. handy for fast brush dragging but for logs and bigger piles of brush the 1,8 t pull is nice.

it will definitly snap ropes ;)

I think Bingham is a fan of the JetSled too. That's two good recommendations, and a reasonable cheap starting point. Maybe it works great and I don't have to go any further, maybe it's insufficient, but it'll still get some work done, so the money wouldn't be wasted. What size do you like? The XL fits in the back of the truck. Is that the right size, or too big? Fits more stuff, but it still has to moved...
could you post a link for the jetsled? i coul‘nt find anything..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Shappell-JSX-Jet-Sled-Extra-Large/dp/B003FBI83C/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=jet+sled&qid=1699825711&sr=8-2

If you want small budget option, widen the axle on a hand cart, weld some retention bars on, weld on a tongue which can be used for manual pulling or hitch to a $200 lawn tractor that's only a rolling chassis, no deck. Used hand cart $20. Carrying tractor pita but you could ramp into a pickup box, 2nd trip to retrieve tractor etc.

I use one for firewood, mine doesn't have stake sides tho so it's probably a cheaper knockoff.

While I've recently caved and started using mini skids to move stuff around, I still prefer moving material by hand.

Few things beat getting paid to workout, and there is the (arts and crafts style) value in being closely attached to every step in a process. I even think moving material manually can be faster and more efficient (sometimes! in some situations!) than moving by machine.

To move by hand I use a DIY brush cart / tree trolly which can carry as much or more per load than the grapple on my mini, and then as others have mentioned a cart. Gorilla carts are okay but I've found the hard plastic bodied carts more durable than steel. On steep hills I'll run control the cart with a line and system of pulleys. With slick ground a jet sled is also nice but harder to empty.

Here's a link to a video about building my tree trolly branch carrier.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 9.34.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 9.34.18 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
Log might be a little heavy for manual moving per OP. For manual, I preferred to keep the bottom plate of the cart to lever up bigger single rounds. I dealt with squeezing a puffy load through a gate by bungee ties and made the wheels 30" on narrow setting and about a foot wider for "stable" mode. My hitch/handlle was only about a foot more than the original cart.

I think I've done pics of this before, was planning on building more on it but that's where i stopped lol. Did add a crappy winch to it later on that I'll use for moving different stuff, not logs usually. Not much to look at but it does pretty good, very handy to have around the house, I'll use it to move all sorts of stuff around the yard that is too heavy to pick up. Flat free tires from harbor freight, for logs you lift to set, then pull down and start walking. Chains simply welded to the main beam, and a grab hook log tong from tsc. Works best with 2 people, 1 to run the handle and 1 to set/ remove hook, long handle so both can pull it. I made it to fit thru a gate, and after using it i wouldn't go wider since that's heavy enough, any bigger I'm usually dicing it or coming up with some non hand power stuff. If i had much larger diameter wheels it would probably work better yet, but that's what i built and haven't needed to change it.

That's when i built it, it's rusty now as is tradition. I can fit the log arch and the arbor trolley on the chipper tray too, so with 1 pickup load i can take everything i could possibly need to handle the brush and smaller logs up to 20" or so. When using an arch you rig it roughly in the center but light in the direction of travel, the butt will drag but very lightly, and you can even use a winch to pull, when the line goes slack it simply sets the load down so it acts as a brake. A guy can also walk it while it's being winched, so you can go at an angle a bit too and miss obstructions, attached to the arch so you can steer with the handle (watch tipping it).

Also here's a horrible pic of using a tree for loading, rigging a boom from a limb, porta wrap to hold boom tip up at a set angle, and the sailboat winch to lift the load, often with a drill. When hung like that it'll swing to a resting point, that's where you park, and you use a tag line at the end of the boom to pull it over the logs/ pile of brush to be loaded, then belay it to something like a tree or fence post any way you want. Lift, let out tag line which swings the boom over the truck, lower, easy peasy. I have the crane/sailboat mast on the chipper now making this unnecessary, but it's very handy sometimes, and is far more functional than it looks. You can also rig it with chain falls if you so desired, very handy if you're building/ working on something too. It's technically called a Chicago boom, I've rigged them up at work with pipe to use as a lightweight temporary crane, so nice to be able to lift and move loads in all directions with minimal effort, and all by hand. You can also rig one up as a crappy swing yarder, it'll give a bit of lift to the load so it won't dig in and then you can load all in one setup. You gotta have a tree to do it with but it can be handy if conditions are right, and would probably work great with the sled thing.

84111.jpg 92050.jpg

84112.jpg

Back