Long Undies..

flushcut

TreeHouser
I know some of the folks here have no clue what long undies are but... anyways.

So what do y'all like? Wool? Silk? Poly? Hybrid? Skin tight? Loose?

I like wool and silk mostly but have some poly. Loose not skin tight. I have been eying up some wool/poly blend Carhart heavyweight stuff and with the sales going on it's tempting.

I'm a fan of the more or less skin tight kind. I actually prefer the old school waffle kind, they are part cotton so they don't melt as much when welding. My wife got me some fully synthetic stuff, and those are actually pretty nice too. I knew a few carpenters that swore by using 3mm wet suits that drivers wear, but i never tried going that far. I also use those super old school lighter fluid hand warmers when i can, they can make a huge difference when under the coat warming your core. Basically the original heated coat, which I've also heard is the cat's meow, but not that expensive.

100% cotton, waffle style. If I were farther north, I'd consider wool, but they're $$$

Do you even need long johns down in Florida @Mellow? I think they preferred them because they block all wind while allowing them to wear just jeans and no insulated bibs, but we're talking in 20 degree on down with wind. I would think it would be too warm otherwise, but i dunno. Sweatpants and sweatshirts also serve well as long underwear.

I’m enjoying my first merino wool socks as of a few days ago. I’ve always worn cotton, these are nicer, much warmer. Not outrageous I guess but more than I’ve ever spent on socks. Haven’t tried them in the snow with the heat sapping steel toes yet.

I got polypropylene long underwear from the Army, that stuff is useless. Takes some bite out of the wind, but I’ll still be shivering. I usually layer up now.
Some nice fleece lined outdoor pants from Wrangler, very comfy, stretchy for climbing and holding up well so far. They’re nice for down to around 20F for me.

We don't get near as cold as you Rajan. But I have been really happy with those 32* Heat thermals Costco carries. Stretchy close on the skin. They seem to breath well for a hybrid fabric.
I'll wear my cotton waffles when welding.
I've heard some guys like ladies nylons for under pants.
Colder like you get, or cold and wet if I work in the park, I start wearing insulated pants over the long John's.

I really love both the short sleeve and long sleeve shirts.

I would like to think I'm pretty open minded, but i don't think i could ever wear pantyhose :lol:

Never tried it myself, some skiers i knew did.
Heard tell others as well when in a pinch in cold weather.
See a lot of gals wearing skirts in cold weather. There might be something to it.
:dontknow:

I use synthetic long under wear bottoms, there's a million out there and I prob have3 pairs, the ones I'm wearing now are by EMS, they are very sheer. Good stuff

I wear wool socks year round. Soft, absorbent, and retain heat even when wet. They're also durable, and easy to repair. Easily worth the premium over cotton or synthetics.

I used to use wool year round, I've gone to a thin synthetic year round, seems easier to wear, long lasting, simple, inexpensive.

Me too, cotton just gets soggy on me. Long underwear is critical. I hate wearing saw pants without long johns.

I wear fleece lined tights, footless heavy dernier tights with a fleecy inside under my saw pants. Inexpensive and synthetic.
For the in-between weather some polypro Kathmandu thermals. I've got one pair of Merino blend thermals but they are too baggy, socks creeping down are bad enough never mind your thermals heading south.
On top, polypro....want to try the merino blend but $$$!

I bought some merino blend socks last years and they are the best for warm feet even with steel toes.
We get to about -4, 7 C during our winter with no snow.

Back