LONGBOY

I've been using a longboy for almost a year now. I love and hate it. It's not as delicate as it seems. I've dropped mine 3 times, once it went 100' straight to the ground. It was folded and went blade first. Just like Frans said, the button ripped through the end of the small tube... I just ripped off the plastic thing, straightened the metal up a bit and it still works fine. It went 40' opened up once, flipped blade down that time too and snapped the blade.

After the third fall I bought the hook for it... I was using #4 Solid ground wire as a hook up till then. I haven't dropped it since. I hang it from my harness on a biner with about 12" of cord extending it away from my gear loop.

That saw has made me a lot of money pruning twigged out willow oaks and pecans. It has made some cuts possible that weren't doable any other way from the tree.

I hate hauling a sawpole in a tree but sometimes it saves so much time and energy it's just not even funny.

I wish I had a picture to post, maybe I'll shoot one tomorrow... it's one beat up saw.

Oh yeah, the thing that really makes it good in trees is the scabbard, it's easy to keep up with and you can't cut a rope with it on... if you fold the blade with no scabbard it's just a matter of time before a rope gets caught between the blade and shaft.

That's some good input, Blinkinest. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Fo' sho' !

I can't think of a day I do not use one.
Jamin, honestly I do not know of one person in this industry that doesn't own & use a polesaw >>> even if only on occasion. It's a useful tool, trust me.
It's like when you never used a lanyard & then somebody shows you & the lightbulb flashes on.
It's not a matter of ignorance when a person doesn't employ techniques or tools. It's a matter of that person's budget & whether or not a new tool / technique will earn them money / & or time.
I hope the TH offers you both opportunities of how to save money & time.

I've been using the Hayauchi(21') for about 5 years now. Last year I bought a second after my hired help tripped and fell on the first one bending the pole.

I gave the bent one with a well used blade to a buddy of mine. He operates a peach orchard and claims its better that his newly purchased corona pole saw from Home Depot. (He did ask me to add a replacement blade to my next order this past summer).
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hayauchi vs hayate:

The Hayauche comes either 16' for $180 or 21" for $221 (Sherrill),
Replacement blades are $55

The Hayate comes at 20' only for $315 (Sherrill),
Replacement blades are $65

The Hyauchi is 1' longer and 2lbs lighter than the Hayate!

I believe the Hayauchi is the better bang for the buck but I've never used a Hayate.;)

HC

The Hayauchi is on my wish list, I'm sure the blade rocks, but how's the pole when fully extended? I got a zubat polesaw (which I love) and it's still very rigid when extended, but it's only 2 short sections.
My Jameson fiberglass poles are always reliable, and they don't mind so much when you drop them. :D

JH,

The Hayauchi poles are is oval shape so if you hold it sideways it'll tend to bend a bit than if you held it straight. It is aluminum and not fiberglass so you'll have to be a little more careful with it and not step or drop anything on the pole!

HC

Thanks HC, is it easy to handle fully extended? 20' is a long polesaw.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Hayauchi blade is not an impulse hardened blade like the zubat. Meaning it won't keep the edge as long, but can be re-sharpened (if you're handy with a little triangle file).

Smarter not harder = time saved and money made. Any tool or new way of doing things that will save me time, I use it.
See Ya
Mike

From what I understand you don't actually sharpen a hand saw. You set the teeth, sure you knock off any burrs with a file, but other than that there is nothing to sharpen.
See Ya
Mike

CT is correct,

The blades on the Hayauchi cannot be re-sharpened...only replaced! Also the blades are designed to be used with long fast light strokes for best results. If you "muscle" it or use to much force on the blade...it won't cut as well and you'll dull the blade faster.

BTW, as you may or may not know, the Hayauchi blades can be attached to the IBUKI handsaw handle and visa versa! Same with the Zubat pole & hand saws!

It may come in handy to know this one day! ;)

HC

Jamin, honestly I do not know of one person in this industry that doesn't own & use a polesaw >>> even if only on occasion. It's a useful tool, trust me.
It's like when you never used a lanyard & then somebody shows you & the lightbulb flashes on.
It's not a matter of ignorance when a person doesn't employ techniques or tools. It's a matter of that person's budget & whether or not a new tool / technique will earn them money / & or time.
I hope the TH offers you both opportunities of how to save money & time.

I know of the benefits of the pole saw. In fact there are times, where I wanted/needed one while in the tree. But, that may be a half dozen times per year.

Besides, I am cabable of climbing out to some of the smallest of stuff to get it with a hand saw to make good clean cuts. If the limb tapers out too far, I can get it with a pole pruner. I have yet to see a person make a proper collar cut with a pole saw (the majority of times).--And I understand pole pruners don't always allow a person to make the best cut either.

My main deterrent to buying one is the idea of accidently slicing myself (or my rope) with a pole saw that may accidentally get bumped off its perch.
I have seen many scars from guys who have been sliced. I bet many folks here can show us their "war wounds" from a pole saw that was falling out of the tree.;)

So, when I measure the "pro's & con's" I choose not to use a pole saw for those reasons stated.

Jamin, What do you do with young trees that are too tall to reach everything from the ground and too delicate to climb in? I know you just mentioned a Pole pruner but there are a lot of cuts that are too small to climb to but a bit big for a pruner. I may be a bit too pole saw dependant but not having one at all seems like you are missing out on a lot of 'best tool for the situation' opportunities.

Stumper: How often do you use a orchard ladder? I held out on buying one because of my pride. I wanted to say, "I climb everything." But, now I use one nearly all of the time when structure pruning young trees. It allows me to use my hand pruners, hand saw, and pole pruner to do a structure prune on young trees.

Besides, I sell my customers structure pruning as a "process" not a "one time fix all." So, I know if I can't get a targeted branch during an initial trim job I'll be back in 2 years when the tree is slightly larger (But, that seems to be very rarely. I am in the business of creating "customers for life." I let them know that whoever trims their tree aught to be the one to care for it for long term. The reason is because I have a plan in mind for at least a decade on a tree to have good structure.

--I'm getting off track, but do you see where I am comming from?;)

ok im with you, i thought you didnt have a pole atall. i love my pole pruners and use them to. you can make just as good a cut with the saw most times though. i use the pruner for the smaller cuts usually where the saw just shakes the branch

I'll take this opportunity to say that I really the foam core Jameson poles. I backed over one of my old cheapies and replaced it with a couple of good/but/spendies. Noticeably less flex when sawing or pruning at 16ft+.

TS

Really? I've never used the foam filled ones and allways wondered if they were worth the extra dinero. Cool.

Jamin, Okay I follow you. I use my orchard ladder a lot....for shearing "shrubs"(some of 'em are Trees!). I tend to use extension tools on young trees because it is faster. I can circle the tree with a pole saw and a Silky and secateurs on my hip and have a good vantage point from all angles as I'm cutting things. Drop the PS and grab the Pole Pruner, circle again cutting what is needed and move to the next tree.(Or in Orchard settings circle 2 or 3 with one tool then do go back over them with the other)

ive got 1 foam core and dont like it. just got the call that my big order is in, theres 4 hollow poles with it!

Back