Logging with Horses

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Joel those photos are great! , the second shows really well how hard everyone is working to pull the scoot . Which looks heavily loaded , were they taken at Guilford ?

Dave could be but I think those are from the Bruce farm North of Pownal. I have video some where, she use to go all over P.A to Maine Fryeburg fair.

So tomorrow we will work One Belgian skidding ... If I can catch up on saw work to make some big turn arounds , and the Horseman finishes building the scoot ... we will try a team on the weekend ... Twice as much Horse Power ! also I won't have to run behind the Horse to the landing to undo the choker chain ... maybe ride on the load ... nice because the distance to the landing is increasing ...also the ground is real firm...

...update , due to a horrible economy and the need to keep my house . Scope of the project has grown from firewood to sawlogs. We will try to harvest for mill checks as well ... It will still pile up on the landing slowly , but a few bucks coming in sure would help right now... It will take a team to skid the sawlogs out... I'm still chopping out access ...

It's not a terrible situation ... Plan A was to harvest the firewood leaving the straight material for another day... Plan B is to harvest the better stuff now as well ... at least I have a plan ... it could be much worse ....I was hoping to wait on the sawlogs until Mill prices improved.

Update ... When we went from one mare to the team it got complicated ... Huge turn arounds required , no backing up to the hitch , the horses turned uncooperative... Oh and ass deep snow...so we are not taking sawlogs now but will continue firewood with one horse on weekends ...

It takes a special breed of cat to have the patience to work with horses .I don't have it and will be the first to admit it .

My maternal grandfather they say did though but he was a foul tempered SOB .Mean as a snake . They say the old boy got so frustrated when they tried gasoline tractors on the farm he let his sons operate them .Made him mad as a hornet the damned tractor wouldn't gee and haw and whoa when he yelled at it .

Anyone know how the these big draft horses came about and why they were bred for their size??? A little off thread but you might find it interesting as curio type item if you haven't had any horse background.

Dave, I didn't read all the posts, I hope things turn around for you. It has been a long boring and lean winter here also so I can relate to your struggle. Every winter month that has gone by has been touch and go when it comes to money. Here in Illinois the weather is starting to break a little and the phone has started to ring again with tree work. Vermont winters would drive me insane.

I've know two types of horse people and the ones that usually have the better teams are the ones who don't do the screaming but all in all it's the amount of time spent and repetition. Tell bean it takes working them every day to make it a team and if ya stick with it in no time it will be a well oiled machine;)
Good to read ya again:D

To carry armored knights during the middle ages .

That is right Al, When gun powder and the first primitive firearms put an end to armored knights these big horses found a place as being draft animals on farms pulling plows and wagons.

What Al said. Originally the war of the middle ages. On another note. I believe it would be hard to take 2 horses that have been working alone. Put them together as a team, and expect them to work well together right away. This is all speculation though, as I know nothing of horses. I did however, stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.:)

Back