Logging with Horses

Not really, in my experience. I think maybe it's a matter of pounds per square inch on the surface. Horses push with the majority of their force with only one leg at a time...all that concentrated on relatively few square inches, relative to the tracks or big tires of a skidder.

Sure, a skidder can chew up the ground, no doubt...but I actually think horses are worse on average, in the same ground conditions.

We should get LJ to run the numbers :D.

I was talking more about selective logging, Burnham. Around here, skidders tear down anything in their path, either directly, or in the sweep of pulling a tree-length pull. With horses, the logs are usually cut to legth and hitched up one to three at a time and little damage is done to the surrounding timber. Not only that, but i've seen tracts logged by horses that you had to look to see where the horses came through with the skids. You never have to look for where a skidder came through. A horse can skid between trees four feet apart, unlike a skidder.

Glad you had a good day Dave, sure wish I was there. As Stig said it realy helps when frozen ground is in place. I can say for sure that the impact is far less than a Skidder, sure the log at times will make a rut from the same path but this is very easy to smooth out when it happens. I think the numbers with my mom when I worked with he team were up in excess of 15,000 bf and i was shocked to find even though it all came out the same 8ft path that within a month there was barely a trace of evidence. It was spring and we had a major thaw the ground unfroze and it got quite soupy. we would hit it hard in the am while still set up and felling in the afternoon till tired.:D Loved every day of it great memories! I can pull the pics from FB if anyone wants to see the particular horse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the great information everyone ! TREE HOUSE ROCKS ! ...Joel , go ahead and post those here if you like just to show the Horse really , and thanks ! ... I'm awfully curious about the Amish Loggers with the antique arch , Double Bit Axes and Two man Crosscut Saws for them ? Probably no curse words either....

My maternal grand father among other things was a small time sawmill operater ,before I was born .Someplace my mother has a black and white glossy of the old gent side hauling a big oak log with a pair of Belgian geldings .

Now my departed pappy said a good pair of big mules made a better skidding team than horses .They caught on a lot quicker than a horse and wouldn't hang the logs up as bad on the stumps .

Moms horses would go from hitch to landing and stop without reins after working the same spot for a day, I'll have to see what i can dig up for pics from that era.

Ive heard people here say a team of Oxen can out skid the Belgians...another BIG difference cutting to logs in the woods , the waste all stays in the woods. On large IP landings here every so often, or at the end of the job they run the dozer to manage all that stuff ... sometimes the dozer heads onto the main skid roads to smooth the ruts and add water bars ... even more machine time ...

She LOVES pulling logs , also seemed to like the action when yarding at the landing as the logs moved some ...

You'd be surprised how much a horse can pull ,more than their weight for sure .Neither tractor or crawler can do that .

Once during an antique pull back in my tractor pulling days we followed a draft pony pull .For comparrison we had the winner of the pony pull make one more pull .The combined weight of those ponies was 1500 pounds .It took a 3500 pound tractor to out pull them .

... funny how all motors , including the biggest Diesels made , are still measured by Horse Power ....and always will be ! ...

That is awesome to see! I would kill those horses by lunch though. I can hardly keep from bending and smashing up my deere 648g3 let alone a live creature.

They can pull their weight here is a couple of my Mom. Where my guns come from;)

Attachments

• 1201102156.jpg
    1201102156.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 1201102158.jpg
    1201102158.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 3
Back