Let There Be Light

You know, if you dont care enough about your self appearance to wear matching gloves it is pretty obvious to me those homeowners hired an amateur!

This is the image, that as a community we are battling. Yet you obviously go around day in and day out without a care as to what a slob you look like!

I will add that where I work we dont damage snow like you did with reckless abandon. Believe it or not people dont want to see your footprints everywhere!

Nice job but I have to say the one top where you had to flip your climb line out of the way made me a little nervous.

Funny stuff, Nick. I too hate to see careless snow damage.
At 6:29, I assume somebody was running a rope to let that tree down and swing it away? Nice.
Nice vid.
Bix, tell a little about the leather cambium saver- performance, ease of use, retrievability?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys.

Nice job but I have to say the one top where you had to flip your climb line out of the way made me a little nervous.

Thanks, me too, not the brightest move looking back. Better to unclip, maybe with tail through a biner I would think? Also, I had a steel-core lanyard on and should have used that as well.

I slacked up some line and practiced a couple flicks, saw the limbs were tiny, it felt right at the time.

Funny stuff, Nick. I too hate to see careless snow damage.
At 6:29, I assume somebody was running a rope to let that tree down and swing it away? Nice.
Nice vid.
Bix, tell a little about the leather cambium saver- performance, ease of use, retrievability?

Thanks Cory, yea Nick was on the Rope, we rigged it off a nice crotch in that Madrone. Are you serious about the cambium saver?

Yes, I was wondering about the cambium saver

Sorry Cory, wasn't sure if you were serious or giving me a hard time. I wouldn't know what to do without the thing! That cambium saver is great. It's so simple, effective, and quite durable really. Now, in the past I've joked about how it might wear too quickly, but that's just because I was giving the inventor a hard time. It is quite durable, eventually it wears out, but almost always stays on my rope, in my ropebag ready to go.

You can set it simply with a slipknot from the ground, and it hardly ever gets stuck if you pay attention. It's a very cost effective tool that will help save your rope, save you energy, and yes... even save the tree. I've had one ever since I started doing treework, almost couldn't imagine life without it. Have you ever tried it Cory?

No, I usually bare crotch it but have used ring and ring which were ok until they get stuck. But yeah, the simplicity and cost effectiveness seem good. I appreciate the detailed feedback.

The leather sleeve friction saver does work a treat, I have been using one for many years. The newer conduit versions are pretty nice, too.

Nice job of hitting your holes, Bix. Well done, and smoothly.

But tut, tut :)...like many other cutters, you've acquired the bad habit of neglecting to wrap your thumb around the saw handlebar in opposition to your fingers, providing superior grip and much improved ability to control a kickback when it occurs...and it will, of course. I'll have to whack that thumb with a stick if you don't remember next time :D.

Sorry Cory, wasn't sure if you were serious or giving me a hard time. I wouldn't know what to do without the thing! That cambium saver is great. It's so simple, effective, and quite durable really. Now, in the past I've joked about how it might wear too quickly, but that's just because I was giving the inventor a hard time. It is quite durable, eventually it wears out, but almost always stays on my rope, in my ropebag ready to go.

You can set it simply with a slipknot from the ground, and it hardly ever gets stuck if you pay attention. It's a very cost effective tool that will help save your rope, save you energy, and yes... even save the tree. I've had one ever since I started doing treework, almost couldn't imagine life without it. Have you ever tried it Cory?

That would be hard to do, brother. Leather rope sleeves have been in use for at least couple hundred years, I think :). Who are you referring to?

I appreciate the support guys, it's nice to hear.

Burnham, great call on the thumb placement, I'll make it a point to correct that, I wouldn't want a kickback, or to get beat by you with a stick. As for the leather sleeve, I'm referring to Jomoco - on that other site, he notes he invented it in 1992.

Hitting your holes... I like that... will use that lingo from now on. :thumbup:

Well, I don't know for sure, but Sherrill seems to think it's been around for a very long time.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Friction-Management/Leather-Cambium-Friction-Saver

"The rope and cambium protector is a product from medieval times for sure, but effective just the same. Still a leading means of chafe protection in a variety of rope uses, leather is tough, lightweight and, in this practice, quick to employ The thread-and-haul technique is simple and minimizes the many headaches associated with ground placement of other friction saving devices. The Rope and Cambium Protector is not only easy to install but nearly indestructible come removal time, brought down with an easy yank on the rope’s end. Most users keep the rope and cambium protector installed and ready for use every time the rope is utilized. After heavy use it may be helpful to introduce talcum powder inside the channel to reduce friction. Designed for lines under 14 mm (9/16”)."

10-4 on the leather cambium saver...I, too, keep one on my ropes (I have 2 of the savers, one on primary Poison Ivy and secondary rope, Velocity). Great friction reducer and rope saver it is.

Back