I Should Be Dead, LOL

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I remember running after the mosquito truck and bathing in the toxic cloud.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zyAGE8Y7ojc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Broken bones aren't common any more? My first was the collar bone when trying to stand on a football. :|:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After my lil bro was thrown into a ditch while my dad was taking a tight curve, he actually installed homemade seatbelts in that old car. This was probably around '61, '62, WAY before seatbelts. Ha.

I haven't thought about that in decades.

Ha.

That vid was spot on about playing outside all day and everyday after school until dark, or past it when you might hear your name shouted. Aside from the baseball kids, I seldom see younguns outside any more. I don't have a clue what they are doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
On my 16th birthday, upon my request, my dad dropped me off outside of town so I could hitchhike to New Orleans to see a friend. My birthday present was a 20 dollar bill.

Can you imagine doing that today???

FTR, I had a Great Adventure. :rockon:

When you need it is cool. When you don't, frig that. I almost got hit by a train while on my bike, and dad saw it and gave me the strap. Imagine beating up a kid for doing that not on purpose, and that is already shaking. One of my first lessons in life not being fair.

I hear ya Jay. I was beat a few times myself. I do believe there still needs to be some discipline when raising children. I have helped raise kids that you never even have to lift a hand to. Just a verbal warning.. behavior was modified. Then, sometime you have to spank. When all other avenues, time outs, verbal warning, stern verbal warning, conditional withdrawal of privileges, grounding, extra chores, etc. do not work to aid in behavioral modification, sometimes the hand has to tan a butt.
Certain behavior gets it automatically; biting, spitting, hitting a sibling or parent and dangerous behavior can warrant one as well.

I once stuffed a magazine down my pants and acted out the part of being spanked pretty well, I thought. Until my sister told my mother about the magazine. Then I really got whooped, and acted out the part with true zeal.

Damn older sister anyway.

Beating children is not pedagogically. This eventually leads to what is when he will be beaten the other, it will be deferred reaction ... he can not fight back. Must strike a word ...

Max, I think it is a somewhat complex issue. Bad behavior tends to replicate itself, as you suggest, but it also can teach. My father could get a bit physically abusive at times when he was work stressed. By the time I was eleven, I was already telling myself that if I ever had a family, I would not do the same. After having my own son, now an adult, I never have, not once. I think it is pretty common for a parent to blow up at their children when they are stressed out for some other reason. It sure taught me that it is unfair and undesirable. Too bad he died before i got a chance to tell him that.

Mine too!

Must have been the official whooping tool of the early 80's. My mom rocked one too. I only caught it a handful of times I can remember and every time I deserved it.

I suppose it helped lock in that whole concept of action -> consequence... no complaints on my end I'm pretty happy with how I was raised.

My mom used wooden spoons.

Lets see.....
Wooden spoons and those paddle ball (on the rubber band) or ping pong paddle. Everytime we lost the ball to one of those paddle ball with the rubber band, mom would save it in a special drawer. Yard stick comes to mind as well.

Grandma used to make me go fetch my own orange tree switch. Funny how she always had to go choose a better one :|:

Dad was a belt....

Gawd I hated getting those paddles with the ball for stocking stuffers and birthday goodies :lol:

I with Butch on this. "Never had a spankin I didn't deserve." Made me, "Straighten up, and fly right!" My mom use to say.

Looking back at it all now some of it was just knee jerk reaction from my parents, and unwarranted, but in the big picture I certainly deserved most of what I got.

Back