I love beech trees!

rbtree

Climbing Up
Just me bantering on about two of the best in town. Watch full screen on YT, in HD

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GrxTs7cia5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/GrxTs7cia5E

That's the one tree I really miss from back home, the large copper beech. There are a few in melbourne but none of a decent size as they can't handle the blistering sun.
J8)

A copper beach you mean?

Ya, probably. I had Copper in mind, but don't know beeches.

Two woodpeckers are arguing if the sapling is a son of a birch or a son of a beech. They enlist an elder woodpecker flying by to tell them what kind of tree that little one is. The elder woodpecker lands, pecks away like crazy, then flies off saying, "Mmmm, that was the best piece of Ash I'd put my pecker into in a while".

A copper beach you mean?

Ya, probably. I had Copper in mind, but don't know beeches.

Two woodpeckers are arguing if the sapling is a son of a birch or a son of a beech. They enlist an elder woodpecker flying by to tell them what kind of tree that little one is. The elder woodpecker lands, pecks away like crazy, then flies off saying, "Mmmm, that was the best piece of Ash I'd put my pecker into in a while".

Edit: I didn't get to see the video yet

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
AS NOTED IN MY TEXT OVERLAY, THEY ARE COMMONLY CALLED COPPER OR PURPLE BEECH. Sorry, didn't notice caps were locked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Beech are rare around here, and cool. There is a big purple leafed beech I believe on a big hill in Oly.

Several years ago, I climbed, by myself, the state champ copper beech. It's in an Everett cemetary. It is just under 6' dbh, and 115 feet tall...crown spread 80, easy.

i posted this a while back. really nice copper beech in watsonville. beautiful trees<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i0zK6Ey7-HA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THAT was a very good time lapse...that tree needed you. I bounced back and forth from start to end of vid several times...very impressive to see how you shaped the tree. I don't understand how you can do that when you are in the midst of the tree. Do you have your groundie advise which limbs to cut back for length/shape?

Nice work. I dont have the patience to do such a nice job. I can prune like the best of them but that sort of artistry is sometimes out of my grasp. Im more a euc man I suppose.

thanks guys!
I don't understand how you can do that when you are in the midst of the tree. Do you have your groundie advise which limbs to cut back for length/shape?
i guess i have been doing this for long enough that i can do pretty well shaping from the inside. i will have my ground guy take a peek before i move on to the next section just to be sure.
that beech was poorly pruned in the past, lots of old reduction cuts at the top. luckily it wasn't too bad and was pretty easy to correct in one pruning. by the way, it was done with the Hitch Hiker. Thanks Paul!

Back