I Should Be Dead, LOL

I think everyone was. Now I don't at all go for this bullshit of people wanting to take their stress out on others, especially parents on kids. More than a few people still don't seem to get that, however. Bad day at work, go for a jog or something.

"There are a lot of beautiful things in the world, you just have to hang in there and be tough". ~ Albert King, bluesman.

I never got whooped, but was never really too much trouble, especially all things considered.

There is a big difference between spanking/ switching out of frustration or stress combined with punishment and punishment alone.

Having to wait for it when the dad gets home, or while cutting your own switch, is probably much more effective, rather than it being over quickly in the heat of the moment. Gives you time to consider what has been done.

A heart to heart talk can sometimes be much more effective than hand to butt. I don't know of spanking being a communication builder.

Some kids probably can't be gotten through to in softer ways.

Getting publically caned in Singapore as a judged punishment, like that American guy did many years ago, seems like a good way for criminals. I bet that guy though twice about victimizing someone after that, at least while in Singapore.

We'll see how it goes over time with my first go around with parenting.

I saw my brother get swatted once with a wooden spoon, broke it, but I don't think that it deterred him much. It didn't change the precipitating family dynamic factors. Don't know that it helped my mom's stress level, either.

He came home tired and irritable as a rule anyway. One time I was already in bed, but I had an inkling that she wasn't going to forget that day. I heard him come in and had my face turned towards the wall, pretending to be asleep. He didn't say anything, simply walked up and slapped me hard across the face and walked out. I don't believe he even turned on the light, used a little glow from the hall to pinpoint his target. Kind of got me in the ear too, so that it rang for awhile. I hope he had a nice evening after relieving all his stress, .

Holy cow! That's one if the meanest things I've ever heard.

They say are full of sh@t in a lot of cases, including mine. if you had read certain other posts, you wouldn't have needed to speculate.

I got belted all the time as a kid. Usually as knee jerk reactions and rarely warranted. I can remember thinking "damn I should catch a beatin for this", and it wouldn't happen. But then the littlest of things would take place and Id catch a belting. I all for spankin. But I try and use it differently then how my folks did. I caught whippins because they were stressed out or wound up about other things in life. Like my mother for instance. Had 3 daughters after me. Every pregnancy was a 9 month spanking for me. My stepdad gave it to me often out of frustration, not discipline. I love him, and he has a good heart, but my mother made his life horrible during my childhood and he would snap from time to time. When I turned 16 I ended up snapping back and breaking his nose and the orbital bone around his eye with one punch. I don't say that with pride. It was a source of pain for all of us for years to follow. Same with my mother. There came a point where I was like "I don't recommend raising your hand to me".
Its not that I was a punk. Its that my heart and mind had had enough unjust beatings. Don't get me wrong, a few of my childhood spankings were WELL deserved. One time I got a spanking in the street in front of the neighbors! lol. You cant get away with that anymore.

I wish my dad hadn't died before i was old enough to give him a counter that would have knocked him on his ass. I mean screw his bad day at work, it had nothing to do with me. i'm all for respecting your elders, but there comes a point... On the other hand, maybe I would still be regretting it?

Probably right, Chris. I can't much picture it being a cherished memory. It's at least too bad that I never had the chance to bring it up.

Back