Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Never

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Only when I think I might need one

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Only when I know I will need one

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

I like fixed blade knives for work and safety. The whole idea is being fast and easy to deploy. If you have to dick around with biners, retaining straps, and tight locations, your system's failed. That fixed blade he showed in the video looked like a good choice. I carried a blunt tipped Remora lashed to my pfd while paddling. Very tight and sure holding mechanism, but very fast to deploy in a stressful situation(I never had one of those). Nothing is 100% foolproof, but my knife, and the one video guy showed is close enough to call it good enough.

I wear my Mora climbing, and it dangles below my saddle. I consider that good enough for what I do. I'm either working alone, or with one other person. If I had a ground crew under me all the time, I'd likely get something different. I've never lost it climbing, but I lost it's predecessor while on the ground when it got grabbed by some brush. It's a very uncommon problem, but common enough to warrant concern when there's someone it can fall on from height.

Got a Morakniv Craftline Basic today. Couldn't help myself...

IMG_20231204_151856303.jpg

Pretty nice for a <$12 knife. A little shorter than the Companion, and doesn't have rubber on the hilt, so it doesn't feel as nice in-hand. For the price, it would be worth buying a few and leaving them in locations where they could be needed.

edit:
this is all my Moras...

IMG_20231204_155251008.jpg

From left-right

Classic #1(I think) #2
Companion
Craftline Basic
Eldris

edit2:
Just checked my Classic, and it's a #2

Last edited:
I have a friend, who makes knives as a hobby.
So I asked him to make one for an x-mas gift for one of my apprentices.
4000 year old bog Oak, dead Elephant and Elm burl. 20231218_165233.jpg

The other apprentice is getting a dining table in Red Oak that we are mking together. 20231218_165204.jpg

20231210_142505.jpg

Good Kershaw sale the volt ss is 52.00 on Amazon i didn't check the other's

Last edited:
That''s a beautiful knife.

If you feel like it, I'd love to see a pic of your hard-used knives

Back