Kickback 066

RSLFK is the way to geaux! RSF is the next step down, but still rocks! 8)

Not meaning to beat on you in the least bit Brian. Safety chain does suck.

But Al did state Tom bought it because it was what was available from the shop.
Based on the description, there are many ways this accident could have happened.

Al, you have made mention of Tom many times here. Hope your friend heals quickly. I cringe at the thought of this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only reason I mentioned that safety chain is just to show it's not foolproof for preventing kickbacks .

He's got other stuff .In fact his 084 runs skip chisel Oregon because I got the last two loops for him when I placed an order at Bailey's .

I don't think that Stihl dealer he does business with sells anything in that line that is not safety chain . The one I deal with sells anything you want .

Somewhat along the lines of Brian's post.....I see a lot of saws where the person operating the tool doesn't know that they have safety chain on it. In other words, the owner doesn't know anything about chain, or basically, the saw either. One is dumb, and adding the other makes stupid, imo, much increasing the hazards. Not a fan of safety chain myself, I'd run bear claws if I thought it would cut faster.

I have one saw with a safety bar and safety chain. This is for helpers who are less experienced. I also sometimes use this saw for a bit of added safety if it is a nasty situation of tangled limbs.

What is a safety bar?

Well I am no expert on this, but bars and chains are color coded "green" or "yellow". The green means they are safety. Yellow means non-safety.

So far as I understand it, the safety bars have a smaller tip. So less area at the tip to accidentially get caught on something and then kickback (top 1/4 of tip).

But see for yourself. Here are various Stihl bars - some with green dots and others with yellow dots...
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/guidebars.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The rest of the story .

I stopped and saw the old boy .He seems in good spirits considering everything . Fact is he was out ram rodding his crew today,looking at jobs and turning in bids so he's not that bad .

It happened exactly as I thought . He recut the bottom of the wedge and 200 pounds of oak caught the top of the chain as it broke out . Should have driven a wedge but hindsight is always 20/20 on these things ,accidents happen .

I might note that falling something this big is not standard run of the mill tree work in these parts . Generally it's 2 and 3 feet stuff ,rarely a 4 footer .

Back