Gonna Go Look at a 066. Help sort the wheat from the chaff?

Fun, fun. Always lights up my day to fire up my sweet old 064...and man can it make quick work of 40 inch firewood rounds.
Now you're talkin' about a Stihl I can warm up to...
Love my 064...
Old school.. Kolbenschmidt cylinder..

Almost didn't find the 064 in the storage shed, the kids were playing with every flashlight I own............... but the smart phone had enough light.:D
Serial #116468370. I'll dig out the 064 spare crankcases later, my wife and I are leaving at 6 am to go house hunting will be back thurs night.
Burnham, I found the other 064 crankcase complete with good crank I have, it was a broken saw run over by my partner's skidder. The serial number # is 117584561.
Can't remember how the Stihl #'s work but I believe my #116468370 race saw is the older one.
I bought theses saws new, about a year apart in '86-'87.

28 years.....a lot of water under the bridge;)

And those saws, like mine, are still better than most of the current crop...well, as I see it, anyway! I still need to look at the serial # on my 064, and will!

Hey Burnham: I forgot to ask you... Since I'm gonna hog-out the muffport another 15% anyway, why not go the extra-mile, and just throw a Max-Flow on that pig? Do you have any experience with the Max-Flow? Like? Why or why not. All the timber-cutters who try them on the 660 seem to swear by them. I've owned two different ones in the past for my 440's and loved em. Do you have any arguments against them on the 660. I think they're like 45 bucks from Madsen's.

I took mine off. Too much friggen around cleaning and oiling for my tastes.
My HD Stihl filters work just fine and blow out with air quick. Never really noticed much of a performance difference Jed.
More performance to be had by opening it up exhaust wise or porting. Maybe up the compression with a gasket removal.
I know.. Stepping in here adding my 2 cents

Too easy to bust off in the brush, is my opinion, but some guys here like them, too. However, I have heard that in real quantitative testing, they don't actually filter as well as the stock setup. Allow more air, maybe, sure...but who wants more air if it includes more crud to eat the saw's innards, I just ask ya??

No... on the contrary Stephen: I really appreciate the suggestion. I gotta tell you though... I had terrible luck trying the no gasket squish trick on a 44 I was running a few years ago. As remember it: one of the bolts rattled loose, and the rest were so tight, that I literally couldn't get them off without busting every single torx wrench I had. Still... I might do it. :P:lol:

Burnham: Yeah, they are a nuisance. But I was such a geek, that I only used the white one, and I would actually take it off and clean it in soap and water, and re-oil it up, like, every three days. Still the darned things get all ripped up and kinda suck. Still... I might get it. :P:lol:

I took mine off. Too much friggen around cleaning and oiling for my tastes.
My HD Stihl filters work just fine and blow out with air quick. Never really noticed much of a performance difference Jed.
More performance to be had by opening it up exhaust wise or porting. Maybe up the compression with a gasket removal.
I know.. Stepping in here adding my 2 cents

Good feedback on the Max Flow, sounds time consuming. I'm tempted to clean my HD filters occasionally in warm water and detergent to loosen all the fine particles that are matted in with oil. Anybody know whether that's ok or not for the filter?

Oh, sure Chris... I think that that's what they recommend actually. You can't hurt those things: we usually just soak ours in saw gas and just blow em out with the compressor. You're all good till you blow a hole through it like I did on my 201 filter. :|: The HD's are a lot tougher though. Don't discount the Max Flow though. I swear they make a big difference, and the white one (in good condition and well oiled) is always gonna filter every bit as much as the HD. The green one imho has a little bit TOO much porosity, unless you know that you're only gonna be in green wood.

Burnham: Why else would the Dur Smilie be nearly worn out on my laptop? Inbreds drool a lot.

Think I said that :P...though the part number is better info than I had at hand.

B: Finally got around to this mod!! :|: Funny: even though it's a brand-new (7 months old, and used about every other day) saw the darned big screw on the muffler was already loose (The big screw nearest the guide-bar--I'm just talking about the outside muffler cover. I didn't take the whole muffler off). I put some blue masking tape over the six holes on the weird little baffle thingy inside the muffler so that I wouldn't get any shavings touching the piston when I hogged the outside hole open to about 15%. I was thinkin, "I wonder why you wouldn't need to hog out a couple of the six weird little holes out as well," but... no matter.) The little plastic limiters came out easily enough on the carb, so... I guess I'll richen em both up a tad and see how she goes. :D

Cheers Jed, ok sure I won't write off the Max Flows, when I start noticing I have spare time for more saw maintenance I may switch ;)

Yeah, well, good luck on that one Chris. Most of us "res-arbos" are so hard-pressed that we're lucky just to keep our chipper blades sharp enough to barely puke Douglas Fir limbs (probably Eucs for you guys) into the back of the truck. I had to take a week off work, just to make my house look like it has a yard again, and to do Burnhams muff-mod.

B.T.W... Burnham: Thank you so much sir!! Easiest, and most effective mod I've ever done. Went 15% bigger, on the hole, drilled out the plastic limiters, and went exactly one quarter richer on the high and low, and then slowed the idyll a touch, and that pig's runnin like a completely different saw!! Thanks a ton.

I have been sitting on a bore kit for this saw for 5yrs origanal engine, wont die and they say I can put in a 044 I have a 9yrs old one cant kill it runs beautiful

Back