I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's pretty cool. I can't quite make out how you're doing it, but if I could, it wouldn't be magic, right? :^D
No doubt, homie. If I revealed all of my high altitude magic tricks to the natives, I'd be out of a YouTube channel and I'd be revealing magic like Penn and Teller. When they showed the world how the Cup and Ball trick was performed, they were heavily discredited. Therefore, I'll have to leave it up to your imagination, sir! But I'll say this much...it's take a mere flick of the wrist. Definitely don't try doing this at height because you'll probably frig it up the first twenty times.

Here is my latest full length video which covers six different ropes that I enjoy using for SRS/SRT. The video is entitled "Review of Ropes for SRS/SRT for Arborists & Tree Climbers!"

In addition to going over each ropes specifications in great depth, and sharing my own personal insights into each rope, I added a new segment at the very end where I show time lapse footage of me doing all of the prep work/setting up for the shoot. My hope is that people might find it interesting to see what goes into some of my shoots and that viewers may better appreciate all of the effort and preparation that is often required. I also wrote a script for this video, which is somewhat unusual for me, due to how much information I had to relay to the viewer. It would have been impractical for me to memorize everything, which would have taken several days at best.

Anyways, here's the video! If anyone actually watches it, I'd love to hear what you think! Thanks!

I'm 18 human beings away from having 5,000 subscribers! How delightful! Some of you are probably like, "this is so cringe." I'm sorry, I'd be lying if I said this doesn't improve my self-esteem.

Let's celebrate in the best way I know how... =-D

Click the link. Give yourself at least until the chorus. I promise you won't regret it. The animations are pure fire, too. Muy caliente! So upbeat and positive! heh heh

DISCLAIMER: Your experiences may differ. If you are sensitive to uplifting 90's dance music of the highest echelon and high tempo perfection (because I know some of you are), please have a loved one hide and lock up your firearms just incase you have an adverse reaction. =-P

Here is my latest full length video which covers six different ropes that I enjoy using for SRS/SRT. The video is entitled "Review of Ropes for SRS/SRT for Arborists & Tree Climbers!"

In addition to going over each ropes specifications in great depth, and sharing my own personal insights into each rope, I added a new segment at the very end where I show time lapse footage of me doing all of the prep work/setting up for the shoot. My hope is that people might find it interesting to see what goes into some of my shoots and that viewers may better appreciate all of the effort and preparation that is often required. I also wrote a script for this video, which is somewhat unusual for me, due to how much information I had to relay to the viewer. It would have been impractical for me to memorize everything, which would have taken several days at best.

Anyways, here's the video! If anyone actually watches it, I'd love to hear what you think! Thanks!

Was this filmed with the new camera Knoto? Looks good, the sound is great.

As I said in my comment on YouTube, you actually have a fairly pleasant voice, a little work on cadence and delivery, and you'll really REALLY have something. You might think about audio based content, like slide show videos on topics you find interesting.

I quite enjoyed the sequence at the end, but I know from a hundred unpublished videos just how hard it is to set up a shoot.

All around good job

Was this filmed with the new camera Knoto? Looks good, the sound is great.

As I said in my comment on YouTube, you actually have a fairly pleasant voice, a little work on cadence and delivery, and you'll really REALLY have something. You might think about audio based content, like slide show videos on topics you find interesting.

I quite enjoyed the sequence at the end, but I know from a hundred unpublished videos just how hard it is to set up a shoot.

All around good job
Holy moly! Thanks so much, @Kaveman! That's one of the nicest multi-compliment posts I've ever received! Extremely grateful for your attention and positive feedback!

The sound in my videos has greatly improved du to the wireless lapel microphone I purchased a few month's ago. If you look at the middle of my shirt, you'll see a black clip on microphone (not in this video due to the camera angle, but in most of my previous videos). It does wonders with noise cancellation! My older videos were sometimes plagued with road noise when I would be by a residential street.

I'm glad that you like my voice! You're also correct; I do need to work on my cadence, tone, volume, intonation, inflection, etc. I spend some of my free time studying successful YouTubers, but evolving into a better version of myself takes time and continuous effort.

Setting up shoots, especially since I don't have a cameraman/woman, makes it infinitely more difficult. I enjoy it, though. It challenges me, has directly improved my mental health and overall quality of life.

I'm happy that you appreciated the final time lapse sequence. I am always experimenting with new ways to improve video quality and viewer retention.

Last edited:
Oh, no, this wasn't filmed with a new camera. I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro now, which is one of the most advanced video/audio editing softwares to exist. I perfected a new method for rendering 1080p videos as 4K so that the pixelation becomes denser and so that YouTube will detect it as a 4K video, causing it to allocate much more bandwidth to it (greatly improving quality) than a video shot in 1080p. I filmed this video with just my cellphone and shot the time lapse using my new GoPro Hero 12! =-D @Kaveman

I created a new slipknot that behaves somewhere in between being slipped and being fixed due to how the structure of the knotting, which is very secure as far as I can tell, bites the standing end of the rope. This means it can be easily tossed around an object without the loop prematurely cinching down, until the operator pulls the standing end and cinches it down manually with enough force. See attachment #1.

I also created a new friction hitch. It was inspired by the Catalyst hitch, the Pindonga hitch, and the VT. If you look carefully, you can see an aspect of each of these hitches in my new hitch. I'm not sure what to call it yet, though. See attachment #2.

For some reason I can't add photos through the task bar at the top of the message box. I have to add them as attachments, which means I can't force you to look at my pictures, which is low key annoying. =-D

Attachments

• PXL_20240124_035541644~2.jpg
    PXL_20240124_035541644~2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240124_035825195~2.jpg
    PXL_20240124_035825195~2.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 5
Here is a comment I got recently about a Short form video I made which was supposed to advertise a much longer video I made about basic canopy anchors. In this Short, I chose to show one of the many anchors demonstrated in the longer video, which is one I call the "floating ring arrangement." The commenter expressed concern that the Alpine Butterfly would pull through the anchor ring. What does everyone think? Am I right or wrong?

Here is the Short video he commented on:

The comment and my response can be viewed as an attachment. Anyone else unable to add images via the toolbar at the top of the messag box suddenly?

Attachments

• 2024-01-25 (2).png
    2024-01-25 (2).png
    160.1 KB · Views: 4
Your approach doesn't look unreasonable to me. The commenter may not be 100% wrong in an absolute sense, but like you said, you have more pressing problems if you jam that ring over the knot. Rings are different also. Someone could use a ring that's too big, and you'd have a wedged together mess if it went over the knot.

What problem does that technique solve? I don't think it's something I'd use. I prefer not using hardware on my anchors if I can help it. I trust my rope more than I trust metal with moveable parts. I'd put the rope through the butterfly and call it awesome. There's theoretical rope-rope wear, but I don't think it would amount to anything from typical climbing. I wouldn't use a rope-rope permanent anchor.

Watch from the 2m15s mark to 5m36s in this video from a TCIA Exposition...

Yes, obviously if you use a ring that's overly sized you're going to encounter some difficulties and the ring could feasibly pull over the knot. But the carabiner would stop you 100% of the time under normal circumstances.

Some people simply have zero life and wish to hurt the credibility of others for no other reason than they hate themselves.

Many other YouTubers don't cross out usernames. I just feel like my point can be made without discrediting people.

2024-01-29 (1).png

You're already thinking about it too much. It's just the internet. There's always somebody with something to say. Unless they provide concrete evidence of a problem with one of your hitches, or your presentation, it isn't even worth responding. It's just a pissing contest at that point.

You're already thinking about it too much. It's just the internet. There's always somebody with something to say. Unless they provide concrete evidence of a problem with one of your hitches, or your presentation, it isn't even worth responding. It's just a pissing contest at that point.
But you underestimate the amount of people who will take trolls at their word. I always respond to trolls because a) I have nothing to lose and b) I can always make them look worse than they try to make me look and that is satisfying.

You've broken rock climbing laws. I strongly suggest you call a lawyer and turn yourself in. None of us want to be complicit in your criminal activities.
Are their lawyers who specialize in rock climbing law? Because I might need one apparently....bahahaha

@Kaveman Thanks! Usually when comments don't show up it's because they are awaiting approval from the channel owner. Some people want to approve all comments before they go up, which is kind of weird. But I just have the system flag potentially volatile language and then I'll usually approve whatever is said 90% of the time. This rarely ever happens. But your post wasn't awaiting approval, so you must have triggered YouTube to take it down altogether hahaha

Are their lawyers who specialize in rock climbing law? Because I might need one apparently....bahahaha

@Kaveman Thanks! Usually when comments don't show up it's because they are awaiting approval from the channel owner. Some people want to approve all comments before they go up, which is kind of weird. But I just have the system flag potentially volatile language and then I'll usually approve whatever is said 90% of the time. This rarely ever happens. But your post wasn't awaiting approval, so you must have triggered YouTube to take it down altogether hahaha
That happens to me quite a bit. Once it got under my skin so bad that I posted a short about how I think Ethan Klein is human garbage. Then again, I can be a very abrasive person, as I've been told. In fact it's remarkable how many folks have used the word "Abrasive" to describe me. I don't deny the label.

Back