Yeah, I think it’s climbable at this point

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I know the pictures show a tangled mess because it is a tangled mess. A locust fractured and is leaning on another locust which is leaning over a barn roof. I’m going to put a 5/8 rope in the non fractured locust and go up there and get the fractured locust off of it and clean up them vines. The leaning locust may be removed also, but who knows at this point. Those vines obscure a lot. I’ll clear as I go. Root plates seem ok……

Any glaring reason you’d not ascend this mess?

Attachments

• IMG_6404.jpeg
    IMG_6404.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6403.jpeg
    IMG_6403.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6406.jpeg
    IMG_6406.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6405.jpeg
    IMG_6405.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's keeping the broken locust fixed? If you clean the vines, will that stay put?
Probably. It’s locust and it’s just fractured (more like collapsed but still intact) You know how locust holds on even with 3” of bark supporting a 300 lb piece.

I can’t pull the whole mess sideways because I’d hit neighbors shed and or fence possibly. Wanna join me on this, John?

We’ll get a date. Maybe after Steve’s hollow oak removal and those breadstick pines. Might be able to do it the day after Steve’s oak.

That right there is a cluster fudge!
The whole wooded area is like that. There’s also a very steep hill just behind it. I’m doing storm clean up back there. I’m gonna try to leave as many trees as possible to prevent erosion but get all the vines cut back to help the trees not have that extra sail in the wind as well as not rot. It’s all locust, cherry, and a couple poplars- mostly locust. So many vines though.

Lift access?
Yes. Once an old vehicle is towed out. From what I see, the lift is 500-600 for a 60’ While no amount of money is worth my life, I think about a lift as a last resort. If I start ascending and I get the heeby geebys I’ll go the lift route. I’m also anxious to develop my climbing skills.

Oh, lord, that's a nightmare.

Ivy infested trees in deep urban settings, so often along creek banks. Let to grow wild, unmanaged for a hundred years. Dozens of trees become infested to their tops. A lot of them dead and standing only by the ivy supporting them.

All bound together, and even without targets it's a wicked environment to work in.

A riddle, dangerous, but usually solvable. Care.

That 'd be my concern too. First thing in the ascent if you climb it, (or not), look closely at the elbow of the still standing locust (about the same height than the break). The general aspect looks a lot like the broken locust and nothing can be said with all the mess around it. That can come from a rot pocket beginning to collapse like it seems the broken one did. The trunk may stay up there, but it can fold over itself like on an hinge.
I saw many times in the forest type trees (locust, wild cherry, aspen) that when a punctual decay /defect appears in the middle of one trunk, you most likely found the same problem on many other trees around. It's as an event of some sort impaired the trees at one time of the history, either climatic, or disease/bugs. Its legacy shows up dozens years later with plenty of the same wreckage in a short amount of time.

Last edited:
Pass the lift price on to the homeowner or walk away.

How broken is the support tree?
The support tree is fine(no breaks) The tree with the break is behind it. It is basically buckled and still very attached. A line or 2 in the support tree guyed back to healthy trunks should enable safe entry.

Because you don't see a crack, doesn't mean it's not cracked.

Approach it like its damaged.
Did getting hit by a tree make it stronger?

I couldn't find a break or distinct buckle, nor a sign of uprooting.

Slow tip over time.

Was it not compromised, since I couldn't see a compromise?

Attachments

• 20230828_191017.jpg
    20230828_191017.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Because you don't see a crack, doesn't mean it's not cracked.

Approach it like its damaged.
Did getting hit by a tree make it stronger?

I couldn't find a break or distinct buckle, nor a sign of uprooting.

Slow tip over time.

Was it not compromised, since I couldn't see a compromise?
Very true. And, yes, only weaker due to the impact and continuing burden.

Back