I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Public Service Announcement: If you run a hitch based system on your climb line or lanyard, and if you leave them attached for any period of time, please don't forget to periodically remove the hitch/hitch cord from the ropes being used and reorient them so that less friction-affected parts of the hitch cord are contacting the line/lanyard. Not only will it grab better, but it will extend the longevity of your hitch cords. Thanks!

(Inspired by Bob Barker's need to remind people to spay and neuter their dogs and cats. He died August 26th of this year. Rest in peace, Bob! You will be best remembered best for your animal activism and prison shoes AKA "Bobo's" AKA "institutional supplies" such as tooth brushes and pens that bend to prevent stabbings...and then, and ONLY then, The Price is Right)

Last edited:
Behold! My two part canopy anchor series is complete!

I've been learning how to use professional software (Adobe Premiere Pro) and made use of some zoom-jump cuts and some other techniques that are supposed to keep the viewer more visually entertained. They also serve the purpose of helping the viewer see what I'm doing with my hands! As always, your (my fellow TreeHousers) input is always appreciated, but I won't cry myself to sleep if you don't watch any of the videos. I demonstrated TWELVE (12) different techniques and the second one turned out better than the first one, but not by much. The second one is half as long as the first one (only ten minutes), so if you value your time, pick the second one to watch. But the first one contains a lot of interesting techniques as well; some you may or may not be aware of.

Finally, I realize my thumbnails are TERRIBLE, so don't laugh...too much. I'm going to take more professional shots tomorrow or maybe back in Arizona on my blacked out table. I had to resort to screen shot-ing sections of my video, so I wasn't trying to look at the camera for a still shot. Poor planning on my part. Alas!

To be fair to myself, I've seen much worse thumbnails; especially on tree channels.

Canopy Anchor Series - BASIC Anchors!

Canopy Anchors Series - COMPLEX Anchors!

Enjoy!...Or don't! You know the drill! <3

EDIT: These have been posted to the TreeHouse first. They haven't been published to YouTube yet.

Last edited:
Rant About An Interesting Professional Editing/Rendering Technique for Videos: I decided I was going to re-render both of the videos above in HVEC 4k at the highest possible depth and quality even though I shot the videos in 1080p FHD. Why would someone do that, you may ask? Well, it's because the video quality will end up looking twice as good as if I rendered it in H.264 codec at 1080 with basic settings for FHD. It's a pretty neat trick that many people aren't aware because it seems counterintuitive. Another reason why someone would want to render an FHD video in 4K is because videos uploaded onto YouTube that have been rendered 4K get streamed at a higher bitrate, noticeably increasing online video quality. Not sure how many of you dabble in videography, but this neat little trick is something that anyone can apply to even the most basic of long or short form videos, no matter what software they are using to edit and render.

There are two obvious (or perhaps not) downsides to this neat little trick and they are that 1) your videos will take longer to render and how much longer will depend on how much you tweak the 4K render quality settings. If you use a basic 4K preset, then the extra time needed for rendering and encoding will be roughly double how long it takes to render in 1080p FHD, which is effectively still not very long at all since most engines can render a one hour long FHD video into 4K in about 30 minutes. The resulting video will have improved quality, but it won't be mind blowing. However, if you use the absolute best possible render and encoding settings for 4K (if anyone uses Premiere Pro, I can share my preset with you), rending a 30 minute FHD video into 4K in the most up to date HVEC codec will take you 1.5 hours.

Another thing to consider when reading this post is your computer specifications. All of the timeframes I have quoted thus far are based off of my personal computer, which has 16GB RAM and 2 GPUS and an i7Core processor (although, for the most part, only one GPU does the vast majority of the work). My computer is three years old and represents the upper-middle end of the spectrum for PC specs for a user. Premiere Pro is so powerful that it would most certainly lag on a computer with only 8GB RAM and an average GPU, with rendering taking twice as long or longer. And if you did render something with Premiere with those specs, your computer would have such little available memory during the rendering/encoding that you would probably be unable to do anything else on your computer until the processes finished completely.

Even with my above average specs, waiting 1-2 hours for the video quality I want is annoying and my computer spends the entire render/encoding time running its fan at full speed in order to cool my 'pewter as it heats ups continuously throughout 80% of the processes. For Christmas, I've asked everyone in my family for money so that I can buy another 8-16GB of RAM. I'm going to remove my CD tray (because I never use it) and fill that slot with the additional RAM. I'll need to move some things around to maximize space; it will be like Feng Shui for my internal hardware and components. While I'm performing surgery on my 'pewter, I'll take the opportunity to double my hard drive capacity since hard drives with huge capacities are 1/3 the cost of what they were when I bought this 'pewter three years ago.

Introduction for My Latest YouTube Video: Anyways, I'm done rambling about tech. Hopefully someone finds this interesting and/or helpful! On a slightly different note, here is the latest video I made (filmed yesterday in the wildlife preserve adjacent to my parent's townhouse complex), which discusses and demonstrates what is arguably the best, easiest, and most efficient removable redirect for SRS...the BEASTHORN removable redirect! It's also not very gear intensive whatsoever, requiring (at a minimum) only your climb line and one auto-locking carabiner!

If you've never heard of nor seen the Beasthorn in action, then you should definitely at least watch the first 5-10 minutes of this video where I demonstrate how to tie it in a union and when/how to equalize the load with your primary TIP. The second demonstration is for how to tie it around a spar! If anyone decides to check the video out and if you have any first impressions, or if you've used this redirect before and already have an opinion, please feel free to discuss it/them here. This video has already been published today in celebration of the holiday, so that my viewers could have something interesting and fun and new to watch. Usually ya'll get the first look, but not this time. Sorry. =-D

Finally, this video was rendered in 4K at the highest specs and in HVEC codec, HOWEVER, it was filmed in 1080p FHD -- IN VERY LOW LIGHT CONDITIONS DUE TO OVERCAST SKIES -- which unfortunately forced my phone to use a very high ISO, resulting in some granulation of the resulting footage. So it doesn't represent how good the footage usually will turn out after using the technique I discussed at the start of this post. Also, sunlight refraction thought the cloudy, overcast sky produced unsually strong highlights, which made it hard for me to properly saturate the footage during coloring, so the images will appear a bit light.

Anyways, if anyone actually enjoys listening to me talk technically about videography, feel free to let me know! If literally nobody cares or even understands, I will still continue to say basically whatever the f*ck I want going forward. =-D

BEASTHORN Retrievable Redirect for SRS Tree Climbing!

Doesn't that waste space? Sounds like you're shooting lower res, then encoding to higher res. That would require interpolation to fill in the missing pixels, which I would imagine gives variable results, and huge file sizes.

Doesn't that waste space? Sounds like you're shooting lower res, then encoding to higher res. That would require interpolation to fill in the missing pixels, which I would imagine gives variable results, and huge file sizes.
Yes, I meant to mention that when I said "for two reasons" and then only discussed one. It definitely results in much larger file sizes, but I store all of my YouTube videos on a massive portable hard drive, so I really don't give a f*ck. This also does mean that it takes MUCH longer to upload the video to YouTube, but my internet speeds are exceptionally fast and so I just leave it uploading in a browser window -- "set it and forget it!" Eventually I'll go back and it's done and ready to be published. Processing into 4K on YouTube can take as long as 2 hours for a 30 minute video shot in FHD and rendered at the highest 4K quality. If I were to actually be filming in 4K and rendering at the same 4K quality, the resulting files would be ENORMOUS and uploading to YouTube would take half a day perhaps. That's why I shoot in FHD 1080p instead.

To address your seocnd concern, the results have ALWAYS been well above what a rendering in FHD or UHD would produce, so I'm more than happy to do it every single time. Well, I haven't always done this. This is a new thing as of two months ago.

If I had a professional video camera with the proper battery capacity, optical zoom, and large memory cards (as well as the extra 8-16GB or RAM I will soon have), I would film EVERYTHING in 4K and render it at highest quality. The reason I can't right now is because rendering would take an eon and my computer would probably blow its GPU much sooner than it would otherwise. Not to mention that I film everything on my phone, and the Pixel 6 Pro only has internal storage, which is just sufficient enough to shoot a one hour or so long video in 4K. My concern is that if I shot in 4K, I might use up storage before I finish the shoot, wich would suck. It also means I can't have much of anything locally stored on my phone and I have to have everything on a cloud. The other even bigger obstacle with shooting 4K on my phone is how quickly it drains my battery. It will quite literally drain my entire battery after only 30-45 minutes of 4K filming and so, again, I can't risk my phone shitting the bed while I'm in the middle of filming.

I just got one "dislike" on my video (but there are so far 15 "likes" on the first day, which is higher than usual) and I am baffled. This happens occasionally where people seem to dislike one of my videos for seemingly no apparent reason. There's absolutely NOTHING factually inaccurate or incorrect about what was said or demonstrated in the video, so maybe somebody just really didn't like my face or maybe they hate hooded sweatshirts. Or maybe they hate their life and want to bring other people down. Not really sure of the reason nor the psychology behind such occurrences, but literally nobody else but me can see the "dislike," it doesn't bring down my "like" count, and 90% of the time, if the dislike quantity is less than 10% of the total votes (which, for me, is 98% of the time), then YouTube will remove them after two weeks to help promote your channel and to improve your stats, since the dislike amount can be said to be statistically insignificant.

So the next time you want to downvote someone, unless the video is legit shitty and dangerous and inaccurate, you probably should conserve your energy, because it will do nothing to affect that person's channel nor the success or momentum of that video. And no, I'm not saying this here because I think one of you all did it. I'm just venting. The biggest takeaways are that a) it ONLY annoys me when I can't figure out the motivation behind it and b) I'm not entitled; I realize that there ARE legitimate reasons why someone might dislike even my best videos; perhaps they don't like my delivery for example, and c) disliking a video is pretty pointless for the aforementioned reasons, but also because it doesn't achieve anything; the best way to truly dislike a video is to offer the author of said video constructive criticisms in the comments, no matter how harsh they may be; especially if there are no readily apparent, serious issues with the content.

Effectively, it just serves to confuse me and then I basically never think about it again or even give a serious f*ck to begin with because YouTube will eliminate those dislikes after it smooths my stats out in a few weeks. So basically, it's ends up being as though it never even happened and that person's efforts to send a message ends up becoming meaningless and eliminated and lost forever. At the end of the day, it accomplished nothing, so commenting is how you really dislike a video.

Last edited:
Here is my latest hitch related uploads to my channel for the RGB hitch, which if I'm not mistaken, might be one of @Brocky's hitches. If not, I do know that I learned about it from him.

RGB Hitch SHORT FORM

RGB Hitch LONG FORM

I'm currently sitting in Logan airport in Boston waiting for my flight to board. Unfortunately, it was delayed, so I get to twiddle my thumbs for three more hours...so that I can be even more bored and uncomfortable while on the plane for another six hours. Ultra lame. If I don't sleep tonight, after all of this, while back in my own bed, I'll slap the shit out of myself.

On a less violent note, in order to entertain myself, I brought a short length of rope and one hitch cord. Let's see if I can create at least one new, quality hitch by the time I arrive home. I expect no less than six people to either ask me Wtf I'm doing or wonder wtf I'm doing. I plan on addressing any questions by answering in pantomime...as another way to stay entertained. Gotta do what I can. The struggle is real.

@Brocky Shit, I got the acronym wrong? I'll have to correct it! Sorry about that! Poor JRB, he's the butt of all of our jokes!

EDIT: I corrected the titles and made a note of the correction in the description and/or title!

Hmm... Maybe a proper wheat bread. Not the white bread with caramel color and some grain flakes sprinkled on top for "authenticity" :^D

My latest published video on my channel. This series focuses on knots that I have discovered on other channels, for which there are no names given. My goal is to hopefully find a viewer who knows the name of this knot so that I can give it a proper name for time eternal. I require that anyone who supplies an answer provides some kinds of source material; something/anything which substantiates their claim. Once I've received such and answer/source, I will officially change the title for the video to reflect its correct name, and I will give credit to the supplier of said answer/source in the description to the video -- but this second part is optional.

Here's a video I made SIX MONTHS ago and it showcases one of my original friction hitches; the Grapevine hitch. I'd like to suggest that this might be one of the most attractive (we're talking hitch cord eye candy, ladies and gents) hitches in the modern West. It's also 1/4 shorter than the VT with all the necessary bite and easy breakability.

Short form:
Long form:

The "magic" Girth Hitch using a 120cm Dyneema sling and a Petzl Ring Open...

If you were even remotely impressed, give this post a "like" and/or give my video a "like" or "subscribe."

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. I can't quite make out how you're doing it, but if I could, it wouldn't be magic, right? :^D

Back