How'd it go today?

Is it always that sparse, or did you do a good bit of thinning? Bamboo has a pretty bad reputation in the US, but I like it. The normal small bamboo, you can get in the middle of it, and the world disappears. Groves are thick on the outside, and roomy in the middle.

It generally keeps itself passable...sometimes I get a stout weedeater and whack some growth. Bamboo groves are otherworldly, a world apart if you decide to slow down enough to realize it.

Finished up the 3 maple removal yesterday and today after getting rained out Wed-Fri (pics/vid link in the Work Pictures thread). Good job and the customer was very happy and paid up right on the spot.. After that, did an estimate for a customer who just purchased a large property with about 20 trees to work on. Mostly prunes and a couple of take downs, but one tree has me concerned. A ~70ft oak close to her house and the neighbor. Look at the tree and the base on these pics:

IMG_20200129_165040.jpg IMG_20200129_164732.jpg IMG_20200129_164844.jpg IMG_20200129_164832.jpg

That rot is very brittle and goes almost halfway through the trunk up to about 8 feet. The 2 back leaning limbs go over the neighbor's roof. I told her she should have this tree removed to avoid any type of accident/liability scenario, but she says her "horticulturist" father said not to worry about it, and if it falls, she'll let insurance cover it. She's on the very top of the small mountain range I live on, and we consistently get 50+ mph wind storms up here.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ (Can I find a bigger facepalm please!!! Oh wait, how about this) :

facepalm.gif

Jed, thanks for the info re the accident.

I'm with the folks who are throwing stones at the safety culture at that company, sounds slim to non existent to me. They got bitten once by this incident, It would be a sound bet to expect more will follow without changes

Finished up the 3 maple removal yesterday and today after getting rained out Wed-Fri (pics/vid link in the Work Pictures thread). Good job and the customer was very happy and paid up right on the spot.. After that, did an estimate for a customer who just purchased a large property with about 20 trees to work on. Mostly prunes and a couple of take downs, but one tree has me concerned. A ~70ft oak close to her house and the neighbor. Look at the tree and the base on these pics:

View attachment 99021View attachment 99022View attachment 99023View attachment 99024

That rot is very brittle and goes almost halfway through the trunk up to about 8 feet. The 2 back leaning limbs go over the neighbor's roof. I told her she should have this tree removed to avoid any type of accident/liability scenario, but she says her "horticulturist" father said not to worry about it, and if it falls, she'll let insurance cover it. She's on the very top of the small mountain range I live on, and we consistently get 50+ mph wind storms up here.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ (Can I find a bigger facepalm please!!! Oh wait, how about this) :

View attachment 99025

I'm no insurance company trying to avoid a multi-million dollar settlement if houses get crushed with people inside, but...

I don't think insurance companies pay-in-full when obvious negligence is occurring.

That is in plain sight.

A 4 year old would see it and know it's not "supposed to be" like that.

Sean, right along the lines of what I was thinking. She initially balked when she asked how much to just remove that one tree, as I gave her a high-ball price due to having spent a good hour on her property in the freezing cold wind after a long day Saturday. Her response was "Couldn't you just throw a rope up in it and take it down?". I almost face palmed right in front of her on that remark and told her I'd have it detailed in the written estimate I'm sending her. She's a high level exec in a local fashion company, and her intelligence on the things we discussed related to her property and trees reminded me of all the "wonderful ideas" I'd heard from management in my corporate career.

Yup, glad I'm my own boss now and don't have to be mentally tortured by those Mensa candidates anymore.... ;)

Today went terribly. I started removing trees on the stormwater pond. I was a little leery of starting cause my back didn't feel quite right. I figured it could go one of two ways; moving around would loosen things up, or it could go out. I won the latter.

Got four trees down. Had to fall them sideways. They were leaning into the pond cause that was the open area. Into the woods, they would have gotten hung up. On the fourth tree, I tried to get it into the woods, cause there was a hole above where it could fit, and I underestimated the lean. Trapped my saw. I tried pushing the tree, and my back went out. So, I'm stuck there with a trapped saw, a dangerous tree, and I can barely move.

I very slowly gather my gear aside from the saw, carry it up and down three 2:1 slopes, stuff it in the truck, and get my Silky. Reverse the walk, and cut through my face with the silky to drop the tree backward. Get it all into the truck, and go to the grocery store for sushi and roasted Brussels sprouts for lunch. I'm home now in front of the fire. Moving a little bit takes my breath away. My back hasn't been this bad in awhile. Contemplating a hot bath, but I'm a little afraid I'll get stuck in the tub. Have a job I need to be at tomorrow, and I told the boss he'd have to help me. Supposed rain til noon, and I'm hoping it's later than that so I can put it off another day.

sorry to hear that, man. hope you heal up soon.

Corey, Sean... Not the first. We've had some bad ones. only one fatality though.

I just need to concentrate on MYSELF, and make some changes so as to become a suitable example for some of these literally fatherless young fellers.

Never been to the doctor for it, but I suspect one or more blown disks. In my 20s. I blew it out bullpinning stakes into compacted road base. It was intensely sore for months afterward, and I was driving around with a heating pad plugged into an inverter. It got better to the point it was only sore at the end of the day. After years, it got to slight pain and reduced mobility I could live with, and even forget about for awhile. *However*, once or twice a year it would *really* go out. and I'm pretty much immobile when that happens. It could take 20 minutes to even get out of bed. This actually isn't as bad as it can get. I haven't had problems like this in a couple years. I quit putting my wallet in back pocket, and that seems to have helped. I'd get a few days where it would hurt pretty bad, but I could keep moving. Fell asleep in front of the stove, and felt pretty good til I moved. Just need to quit moving :^D

Corey, Sean... Not the first. We've had some bad ones. only one fatality though.

I just need to concentrate on MYSELF, and make some changes so as to become a suitable example for some of these literally fatherless young fellers.

That is great news regarding yourself and mentorship. #Choices

John, that might be contagious cause i tweaked mine too. Yesterday i was so bowed up i could hardly move. Got the wife to rub and pop it a bit, better today but still sore. Mine goes out at least once a year where I'm down for a few days too. Get a good chiropractor and go there, they've helped me out a ton. I also need to stay up on it rather than going when it's bad, but you know how it is. One of the better times i tweaked it we were doing cold cuts for tie ins on some 12". A cold cut is done using a 4 wheel cutter, kinda like a giant one that you would use on copper tube. It was so bad i had to be helped out of the ditch and laid on the hotel floor for the whole next day or so. :lol:

Holy shit, it's like what I imagine birth contractions are like. The pain comes in waves. I can feel it start, and ~10% of the time I can keep it from hitting if I don't move, and try to relax. The other 90%... I even make the same birthing sounds :^D D^:

Man, you guys are breaking my heart... no wallet in the back pocket... How could that possibly help, and yet... ahhh gentlemen... we all do what it takes don't we? You poor guys, man. My back goes south a good twice a year now too, but it's not terrible. I usually just do everything SUPER slow. :lol:

Forgive me if I bust a ton of pics in here... it's just that we have broken a new record for consecutive days of rain and (Glory to God) in was IMMACULATE out.

Ok, here's the 4' Maple stem I high-stumped (36" at the cut) and then the second shot shows where it topped out in relation to the fence. :O

The third image is of a Sitka that the 42" bar just BARELY cleared. The fourth image is super boring and hardly worth looking at. It is of the Sitka log lying in the woods. Not too sure what I was trying to accomplish with that one.
20200210_120626.jpg 20200210_120618.jpg 20200210_141926.jpg 20200210_143640.jpg

Feeling better but still dehydrated. I was cramping up backing out four small bolts. Pounded a bunch of water and electrolytes. Big job starting tomorrow.

Jed that hinge is just terrible. :P

re wallet in back pocket. It probably doesn't make a big difference if you're on your feet all day, but if you spend a lot of time sitting, it puts your hips out of alignment and can cause back issues. Depends on the wallet too. If it's a hipster wallet with just a license and credit card, it probably doesn't matter much. I always carry cash, and my wallet's thick, so it's fairly substantial back there. Bonus is front pocket helps defeat gypsy pickpockets :^P

Yeah, I hate driving the bucket truck with this stinking wallet in my back pocket. Ever notice that the seat in a stinking bucket truck seems to last about six months?[

fun zipline tree today.
20200211_113226.jpg 20200211_113234.jpg

State tax return showed up, no waiting at the blood lab, shear bolts for snow thrower were in stock and cost me nothing...not bad so far...

Back