How'd it go today?

Tough go for the pro divers, let alone the kids. Although it might be that being a kid immunes you from some of the danger anf puts it in the realm of adventure. I don't know, might be.

RIP Saman Kunan

rcdjN3T.jpg

This is the last photo taken of Sgt. Saman Kunan, a Thai ex-SEAL who died Thursday afternoon when he ran out of oxygen while returning from delivering oxygen tanks to the boys trapped in the cave. He retired from the Thai Navy and volunteered to help.

Service knows no bounds of nationality, language, or skin color. People want to help people. Thank you for your service and sacrifice to give these boys a chance. I pray it is not in vain.

Saman Kunan. Say his name. He?s earned it.

h1tauNE.jpg

Here's the 2 British men who are leading the rescue operation for the Thai football team. John Volanthen and Rick Stanton. They are universally regarded as the best cave divers in the world.

They were the ones who found the boys & are now leading the rescue mission.

I took a rock climbing course from two British guys who were cave divers when I was like 21. Obviously not the same blokes but one of the things I recall most about that course was them recalling some tales of cave diving exploits. Serious business. I could never do it. I'm claustrophobic, I'd have never gone in those caves in the first place. Maybe aways, but never through a 'squeeze'.

I wouldn't mind a squeeze so much if it was an established route. Exploring the unknown squeeze? No way, Jose!!!

I guess there are worse ways to go.
What, like anything out of a Saw movie?

Pertaining to ways to go, I heard that Elvis's last pair of underwear (worn on the fatal commode trip) was up for auction. No one would bid. That restored some of my faith in humanity for sure. But who on earth had the bright idea to try to auction them in the first place? Greedy insensitive folks, to the extreme!

7 Bradford Pears

...And a partridge in a Bradford pear tree!
Homeowner lost several limbs from a Bradford in the recent storms, so began to be tuned in to how prone to failure they are. Estimator talked to him, fast forward a week. Three Bradford removals with stump grinding (yours truly) and extensive, significant thinning reductions on the remaining 4. Work was fine in the pruning dept. as it was full shade. Removals & stump grinding were in the full sun, hitting 103 degrees Fahrenheit today here.

Second job was drop-n-chip a decent sized stone dead rock maple (mmm, sound familiar?). Dropped, began chipping, dropped the chipper, ran to dump, back to finish chipping & stump grinding. Done in just over an hour.

What, like anything out of a Saw movie?

Pertaining to ways to go, I heard that Elvis's last pair of underwear (worn on the fatal commode trip) was up for auction. No one would bid. That restored some of my faith in humanity for sure. But who on earth had the bright idea to try to auction them in the first place? Greedy insensitive folks, to the extreme!

I'll bet MJ would have bid on them...

Rear end on the dump truck started making a grinding noise when coasting after climbing a steep hill with the chippy in tow and loaded to the gills. After a bit of internet knowledge-mining I had it narrowed down to the pinion bearings, hopefully just the pilot, since everything still felt dead tight. Ordered a new bearing and gasket and lucked out when I pulled the cover. Sure enough the carrier was in pieces.

Dump truck is happy again.

36987939_1781392735229993_4067229446858342400_n.jpg

36928163_1781393008563299_1612014222483390464_n.jpg

36915648_1781393101896623_1479944734045634560_n.jpg

36969986_1781393228563277_9021513740788432896_n.jpg

Looked deficient in bearings in that one picture...otherwise I am seeing good stuff. But I know squat about differentials (that is what I'm looking at, right?)

Thanks Rich.

It started making a weird noise, I couldn't ignore it! haha. There was a high pitch squeal, which I presume was this little bearing seizing up, which kind of faded away as the hill topped out, then whenever I'd let off the gas and coast it was grumbling. . .

So I'm thinking this was probably the second time this case has been opened in 37 years. There was RTV and the old gasket was kind of calcified into the metal. Gear oil looked terrible, which leads to why this bearing probably failed. I bet if I'd changed the fluid, instead of just topping it off when I got it, this wouldn't have happened. Snapped a bolt taking out of the pinion housing, which added about an hour to the job. . . and I managed to roll over the back of my arm with the dolly wheel. I love mechanic. lol

Looked deficient in bearings in that one picture...otherwise I am seeing good stuff. But I know squat about differentials (that is what I'm looking at, right?)

Yeah, it was that little bearing that holds the nose of the pinion gear in place. At least three of the rollers were missing out of what was left of the cage when I first opened it up. It's crazy they could come out and not destroy the gears. . .

We added the second tube to the underwater playground. The kids are getting comfortable in the water. Summer fun....real-life skills!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TCDPVuuj72k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm always impressed at everyone's DIY mechanic skills!

I hear you on the heat breakdown...couple times in the last few weeks I've gotten to the end of the day, just sat down and shook and sweated and felt generally awful. Potato chips, water with lemon, enough to get home to the shower and the couch.

With your emergency training are you recognizing that as having gone too far? Isn't a person supposed to stop themselves before that?

I have continued to push and work hard when overheated and under hydrated a few times in life. Took me days to slowly recover full power again and after pushing myself into it the first time it was easier to get there a year or few later when I did it again.

As I understand it heat exhaustion is a big deal, it weakens the body, and it is very close to and just before heat stroke which can be life threatening.

Like people say, Tie In Twice, I'll say Coolvest. The kids size may for you better, Fi.
Mine fit, barely. Made for big bellies.
It's PPE for heat. And if you wear chainsaw pro all day in the heat, even moreso.

Good work Sam!

Nice Gary!

With our high temps I've been asking for outdoor hoses to be left on so I can soak down. I also carry a patio umbrella in the truck now. Kinda reminds me of when I first got in the army, an old Brit safety officer would carry around his umbrella, techs would carry his map boards, computer and chair.

I've been reading about people dropping like flies in Quebec due to the heat. I'm guessing it's the same in Ontario?

Back