How'd it go today?

Went to look at a couple jobs for the RR today. One is a clearing above a tunnel to allow for clear communications from A to B and another job was clearing to upgrade the power supply for the new switches and RR Spurs going in. 3-4 weeks worth of work two hours from home. The boss and I are working up the bid this weekend. Told him we need to talk with my crew about out of town pay. We all have families and as I told him, there is a cost to being away. He's going to have to compensate for that.

Working good Sean. We had our mechanic weld up a big clevis with some bars in it to separate our climbing lines. Hooked it to the truck and good to go. we have some tall oaks on top of the tunnel to use for tie in to work the face. Most likely going to use one as a rigging point to secure and raise the trees from the face as well. That's the job I'm looking forward to. The clearing for the power upgrade is not so fun. Not nearly as complicated but just dull. I'll be sitting in a larger mini-excavator for most of that job.

Removed a second beetle killed pine from the same yard leaving several more that are still alive but obviously not feeling well. The HO wants them all gone but can only afford to take out one a month so it looks like I've got a guaranteed day's work every month there for about a year. I worked a mobile home park like that last year, every month when the owner collected her rent, she'd call us to remove another tree.

I did my first SRT work climb today. In the rain. In a wet silver maple. Probably not the ideal conditions for the first go but I had played with the rope wrench and different hitch cords and felt confident i wa sufficiently dialed in to be safe. I have used SRT for access a few times but given how little high climbing I do, setting it up and then transitioning to a doubled system seldom was worth the effort. Working single line was actually pretty cool.

I had one of those days... first the chipper was out of fuel, then all the saws needed to be prepped for the day, then I had to shovel dirt into one of the pickups for stump cleanup and somehow during moving trucks and climbing around I happened to rip the crotch out my trousers (on laundry day so no undies) and then I had the bright Idea To use a stapler to stitch them back together (and no I wasn't smart enough to take them off to perform such a procedure) and somehow I shot a staple into parts that shouldn't get shot with a staple. But about 11pm mind you my start time is 630 we got to the job and knocked out a nice little oak tree, so I'm hoping everyone had a much better and less painful day than me

I did my first SRT work climb today. In the rain. In a wet silver maple. Probably not the ideal conditions for the first go but I had played with the rope wrench and different hitch cords and felt confident i wa sufficiently dialed in to be safe. I have used SRT for access a few times but given how little high climbing I do, setting it up and then transitioning to a doubled system seldom was worth the effort. Working single line was actually pretty cool.
Beat me, I climbed a pine to set some rigging and then come down. Haven't really worked a tree yet.
I had one of those days... first the chipper was out of fuel, then all the saws needed to be prepped for the day, then I had to shovel dirt into one of the pickups for stump cleanup and somehow during moving trucks and climbing around I happened to rip the crotch out my trousers (on laundry day so no undies) and then I had the bright Idea To use a stapler to stitch them back together (and no I wasn't smart enough to take them off to perform such a procedure) and somehow I shot a staple into parts that shouldn't get shot with a staple. But about 11pm mind you my start time is 630 we got to the job and knocked out a nice little oak tree, so I'm hoping everyone had a much better and less painful day than me
Ummm... Wow! Better you than me! That'll take the bounce out of your step!

Consistant, predictable friction. Let's hear it for SRT. Woop woop.

Oh Lord, man! That was a great share!

So sorry for your troubles, but you DO win the Internet today! :D

Rain here today. I had a camper that my brother was going to scrap here at the house. He tore it apart and landed it on a trailer and ended up with a flat tire. It's been sitting in my drive for three months. So I got up and loaded it all in my trailer this morning and off to the scrap yard. A whole $24.40 for all that effort he put into it. It was nice being able to push a button and dump the trailer though. Going to look at a couple of jobs and then rip out 6 little dead pines. Just over a year since planted and I'm willing to bet the burlap and cage are still on them. Hopefully we will replanting later this fall or spring time. I remember the homeowner didn't like our price for the original plantings and hired someone else to do it. Maybe he learned maybe not. I think I might go shopping for an outdoor wood burner next week also. I either spend the money to fix my chimney liner or put the outdoor burner in a year earlier than planned. Or I guess I could just run my electric furnace this winter and pay the high bills.

High bills? Whats it get down to in Ohio, like 50 during the winter?:P

We heat with propane, anywhere from 700 to 1500 dollars a month.:X

Rain today here too, maybe snow tonight. ugh.

Barney the Raccoon apparently got out of the live trap he was in:/: he definitely did not get shot in the head and disposed of, nope, no way that happened.

Have to take Lynley to a birthday party for 7 year old's today, fortunately just dropping her off. Richard boy and I might go to the gun show in town to kill time while waiting for her.

I finally got the money owed me by the Austrian car dealer who sold me my truck.
Only took 4 months and me being pissed off to the point where I wrote him an e-mail that was as close to criminal as one can get.
Richard and I decided that we would simply fly to Wien ( Thats Vienna to you Yanks) for a long weekend. Rent a couple of big motorcycles and go have fun in the mountains, then visit the guy on monday, break both his arms and collect our money and fly home.
It would cost us the same as what were owed, but we'd have a hell of a good weekend.

That is basically what I told him, phrased in a way that would not get us arrested, but still got the point across.

Lo and behold, the money arrived right after.

I wish you could hear the way my wife laughed when she proof read the e-mail for me ( Her German is better than mine).

Dang Jim maybe I should invest in propane stock before winter. By bloody cold Montana standards we are quite warm but we do dip into negative temps for a week or so. I had my electric bill hit $600 last spring when I decided I was done with wood for the year. Not nearly as bad as your bill but still over three times my normal. Two and a half months of that pays for the liner. As for getting firewood , I seem to scrounge enough up.
50 degree lows? Come on. I don't live in San Diego where every day is a beautiful day:lol:

I finally got the money owed me by the Austrian car dealer who sold me my truck.
Only took 4 months and me being pissed off to the point where I wrote him an e-mail that was as close to criminal as one can get.
Richard and I decided that we would simply fly to Wien ( Thats Vienna to you Yanks) for a long weekend. Rent a couple of big motorcycles and go have fun in the mountains, then visit the guy on monday, break both his arms and collect our money and fly home.

It would cost us the same as what were owed, but we'd have a hell of a good weekend.

That is basically what I told him, phrased in a way that would not get us arrested, but still got the point across.

Lo and behold, the money arrived right after.

I wish you could hear the way my wife laughed when she proof read the e-mail for me ( Her German is better than mine).
Needs must when the devil drives.

It's a fairly old one meaning sometimes you've got to do some ugly stuff to get the result you want. Often shortened to
"needs must"

Back