How'd it go today?

Stephen, that is some beautiful, park-like country you work in. I half expect to see David Carradine to walk thru the picture in bare feet as Caine in the awesome tv series Kung Fu.

That sure was an ugly one Stephen! Bummer to hear it's all just being burned in place, waste of good wood, but I'm guessing access isn't exactly convenient.

No climbing or felling for me lately. This past week and next have been tree survey and risk assessment work. There have been a few interesting trees and the site is really nice. It's an old Chinese style mansion on the mountain above downtown Hong Kong island that the government is turning into a historical monument. Right now it's closed to the public so it's been nice and quiet.

IMG_20130315_161130.jpg IMG_20130315_161245.jpg IMG_20130315_163409.jpg

Yes we did Sean.. No wedging that beast...
That one large side of of the under bed helped swing it a tad more as well. Just trying to keep it from taking out several trees. Minimize the clean up as well...
Cool place to work Leon.

Made a terrible mess today.
On purpose.

One of my wife's old school mates had a willow, he wanted taken down, because of his new solar panels.
I gave him a lowish price on the job, which he whined about. So I told him I'd bomb the tree for $300, no clean-up.
That was this weeks give-away.
I also told him he needed to clean all of his junk and car repair stuff, ramps etc away from the tree.
Then when I arrived this morning, the whole family was away and all the junk was still there.
So instead of trying to make it easy to do the clean-up, I bombed all the brush on top of his junk, to act as a featerbed for the bigger pieces. One giant pile of junk and wood.

I had to tunnel my way in to fall the stem:lol:

Then off to see my best client, a multi-multi millionaire, who has yet again bought a nice property for himself up in the part of the Island where the rich people hang out..
He just wanted to walk it with me and hear my suggestions about how to improve and maintain the place.
Afterwards he told me to just go ahead when I have the time.
He never asks for an estimate and I make sure always to give him a fair price.

About 3 days worth for 3 guys and chipper/stumper initially and a couple of days yearly with hedgetrimmers/brushcutters., and since we usually deal in cash and don't tell the IRS, that should pay for a trip to the Redwoods for all of us next year:D

Man, I wish I had more clients like him.

I ruined my massdam. I may or may not have overloaded it. Its a pile of twisted metal now. Good tool though. naughty operator.

I made the mistake of ordering 200 feet of rope with it (maasdam).. Then went back and ordered a 40' remnant at a discount. There is such a thing as too much rope through a maasdam.... :lol:
Set rope, add prussic, attach 40' through maasdam to prussic... orrrrrr insert 2:1, etc in between....Amazing what some mechanical advantage can do. Pretty much what Stig said. Pulled some chunks over again today on another leaner we had to go do. Had to stack some wedges as well. 3 high before she tipped. I'll put some pics up as soon as they are sent to me.

Here we go.. Pics and a video just came in....
Started out the day with a pondo TD... Top had broke out and there still about 70-80 foot of it too close to a house, fence, sheds and a bunch of smokers. HO was supposed to help move material, but not around. No worries I thought. Get er done. Brush and wood was to be lined out into the neighbors back yard over the fence. No problem. Checked with neighbor.. no worries. 1/2 the bush lined out, HO shows up and asks why I am there now instead o next month, he thought we were supposed to be there in April.. Since I was tied in at 70 foot... I had Rob show him the confirmed schedule entry in the book, he still insists we should have called him first ???:? Oh well, can't fix some people. Tells me I can just finish the brush and leave the pole for a new day..... I say .. ummmm no.. faster if I just do it all at once. Rap out, clean up, reschedule out for two weeks. No problem.. Now.. how to salvage the day....
Broken bull pine just down the road... Guy wanted it down as ASAP if I could slide him in...
Worried about the neighbor kids since the tops already took the fence and it is leaning heavy. Neighbor says ok to spill wood on his side... Just don't tag fence. NP.
Made a 1/2 days pay in less than 2 hours with travel. Ugly bugger...
Threw some chunks over the fence and then tipped a 10 foot and 20 foot section with the maasdam and some wedges :D
IMG_20130316_140521.jpg IMG_20130316_142034.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VRQA1lfx340" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Handle on a maasdam does bend before failure Jay....... It is a foolish man that keep cranking on the bent handle........8)

I have found that having a short piece, like 40' is best with the Maasdam, rarely do I need more than 40' of pull and yarding 200' through it is a PITA as Stephen alludes to.

Back