How'd it go today?

It's not so new, Ive been using it for years. Click on media centre for uses and benefits. http://www.naturepacific.com/index.html

My chipper bearings gave out a couple of weeks ago along with a few other things, I can't complain it's done some work.

No stock here so ordered them with a 10 day wait from the US, came on time but wrong bearings and missing the main other part.#-o

Another 10 days wait, I could have got bearings five minutes away but thought I'd get them from Vermeer and get them to do it.

I had a little chipper like Stephen has sitting up the back, so I dragged it out and cleaned it up a bit. It's not much fun to use but better than paying $170 a ton dump fees. Just doing small jobs and stumps till next week, I hope.

Ya, Stig, Rupert's looked like a pork chop when his dislocating kneecap was fixed. Had to take him to use the facilities (lawn) with a sling under his belly to support his weight, keeping the strain off his one bad leg. Two must be a real pickle. Hope you don't have a lot of stairs. I slept on the floor next to him for the first couple nights. He's good now, but rehab/ healing was a number of months. Hope Thais heals well. A dog's enthusiasm can set back healing, sometimes.

Coconut oil is meant not to burn so easily when heated. Supposedly, if your oil smokes at all while cooking, its been burnt, and should be discarded, as its formed carcinogenic compounds. Olive oil smokes at a somewhat low temperature, though I still cook with it, being careful not to overheat it. Coconut add a coconutty flavor to things, go figure. Not always the best combo.

Coconut oil ,okay .Now I never could figure out why in the world they have listed olive oil as "extra virgin" ,sounds like an oximoron .Now it looks like coconut oil is on the virgin band wagon .

Well 4200 for 3 hours would be a bit much but I was just saying that just cuz equipment makes a job easy doesn't mean you shouldn't charge plenty for it.

Some people bring getting ripped off on themselves. The hot spring resort near my shop needs to have around fifty trees removed. I ran into the manager of the place two days ago, telling him that he had better get to having the work done, based on what came down in some recent very heavy duty winds that we had, combined with the fact that a lot of kids walk to school under the dangers. Saying that I was right, he also mentioned trying to get the sixteen thousand dollars together to have the trees removed, a recent estimate from someone. A year ago I gave him an estimate for around six grand to do the work, which he had apparently completely forgotten about. Maybe three days work involved with a crane, including clean up. It's kind of a fill in management group that they have at the hot spring, they don't seem very acute about things.

Unless you are the only tree company a person can hire, there's no ripping off. Its an open market. They are free to shop around. Do I believe in being reasonable, especially with those that trust and believe in your company and don't opt to shop around? Yes. But I have always felt there is no shame in being expensive. Provided you keep your quality of service high as well.

I took Mrs. Smith out for her birthday to the "Country club " which is really just a pub at the golf course .Nice meal .

Good heavens the ole gal is 60 ,I'm sleeping with a grandmother .:lol:

Most of the tree work we do is a luxury for someone. Pruning, making space for more lawn, removing trees that block a view, or are too "messy"..... That stuff is a luxury. I don't cut myself short for someone else to have luxuries.

Well said.

And yes, they are free to shop around. Specify clearly what you will do, and what you will be paid. Let them choose if they want you.

Luxury tree work sounds nice, hope to experience it sometime. The odd lot that is being developed from time to time, but mostly people are in imminent danger, or will be. I guess that puts us in some danger too.

Thanks for the report Fi, that tree I haven't forgot about..........but I thought you bidded $700 on it:?
:)

That's what I was thinking, but when I put it on paper to them I was at $600...some of that was time to fetch and return the cherry picker...1.5hrs there alone...

Now I have to give a price to a little old lady, two dying stringybark eucs to dismantle, over the landscape shrubs...

To rent a lift higher than 10m I have to have an operator's ticket over here...sucks. I need to go back to school.

That's what I was thinking, but when I put it on paper to them I was at $600...some of that was time to fetch and return the cherry picker...1.5hrs there alone...

Now I have to give a price to a little old lady, two dying stringybark eucs to dismantle, over the landscape shrubs...

To rent a lift higher than 10m I have to have an operator's ticket over here...sucks. I need to go back to school.

Sounds like it's going the same way as the UK. No insurance without a ticket of competence.

I'm with tucker on all this. We used to bid to win every job, work 6-7 days a week daylight to dark. Now I'm bidding what we need, and highlighting our quality work, certifications, and well trained , professional people. We are making the same money and working 2/3rds as much. Let the low ballers cut their own throats. As dad used to say "cheap went out of business last week".

My pig for the day... dang near 48" at the cut. 1/2 the tree we had cleaned up after the codom failed and made an opening for the leaning POS to get felled into. All went well considering the lean, slope... etc.. 4 hours.. cookie cut for burning in place. 6 tanks on the 066, two on the 044 and 2 on the Husky 460..... Yes, the hangers made me nervous.... :lol:
I would have liked a weeeeeeeeee bit more wood to work with... :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20130315_111458.jpg
    IMG_20130315_111458.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20130315_101544.jpg
    IMG_20130315_101544.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20130315_101705.jpg
    IMG_20130315_101705.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20130315_111002.jpg
    IMG_20130315_111002.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20130315_111023.jpg
    IMG_20130315_111023.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20130315_111028.jpg
    IMG_20130315_111028.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20130315_111215.jpg
    IMG_20130315_111215.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20130315_111430.jpg
    IMG_20130315_111430.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 55
Compared to all the nice, straight, forest trees that I fall, you sure get some uglies, Stephen.

I'd love to do that sort of work again, ---I think. For a while anyway.8)

I got a call today [saturday] at 12pm, guy says he just had some people cut down some trees for him in the back yard and just wants them cleaned up and chipped. Not much access in his area.

He seemed a bit surprised I didn't want to jump in my truck and come straight over.:roll:

Back