How'd it go today?

A contract climber at the Presidio today during the doyle drive removals was injured.

Not a Presidio employee or anyone on the Tree Crew with me.

This guy who's friends with another guy on my crew took a Euc top, hung it up in another tree.

The butt dropped in his lap crushing his femur.

I don't know if he was rescued or came down on his own accord.

That's all the info I know.

Always sorry to hear about these things. Could be me on any given day if things went the wrong way.

Damn. Recently, a climber here fell and broke both ankles, one leg, one arm, a couple ribs, and hurt his back.

He's the same guy who was operating the crane when my foot was crushed.

Thought I was over this sick crap, but apparently not. Struggled to stay awake in 2 classes today, and was coughing all day, along with a stomach ache. Came home, and hit the sack for 4 hours, which is unusual for me. So no school tomorrow. Going to rest and go see the doc and see what he says. Hoping it's just a cold, and nothing serious.

Is your stomach tender to the touch?

Back to the prefectural contract today, thinning woods to roughly 4 meter spacing between the trees. Pretty thick woods, getting trees hung up is unavoidable. Dropping hung up large trees with top bind gets interesting sometimes...a little scary too. Anyone have a good method besides just like a normal buck? A little Humboldt type slope off the inside seems to make sliding the ends apart somewhat easier.

The bummer about this work is that the contract calls for leaving the trees cut up in the woods to rot, limbs removed and bucked up....and a darn shame with a few today over the century mark old, and in perfect health...beautiful lumber contained within. It wouldn't pay to drag them out, even if allowed, too far away from roads.

Back to the prefectural contact today, thinning woods to roughly 4 meter spacing between the trees. Pretty thick woods, getting trees hung up is unavoidable. Dropping hung up large trees with top bind gets interesting sometimes...a little scary too. Anyone have a good method besides just like a normal buck? A little Humboldt type slope off the inside seems to make sliding the ends apart somewhat easier.

The bummer about this work is that the contract calls for leaving the trees cut up in the woods to rot, limbs removed and bucked up....and a darn shame with a few today over the century mark old, and in perfect health...beautiful lumber contained within. It wouldn't pay to drag them out, even if allowed, too far away from roads.

Jay, figure out which direction you think the hung tree will slide out of the tree it's stuck on the easiest, then buck on a steep angle so the butt of the top slides off sideways to the opposite direction. It can be tricky. Use the same analysis of tension and compression as a normal buck to determine the sequence of cuts. A thin pie-shaped wedge taken out on the compression side can help allow the tension to ease off a smidge more gradually.

Feeling a lot better today. Went to bed early, slept in. Went to the doc and all I have is a sinus infection and drainage. Got some meds, and I've been taking it easy today. Taking naps, doing homework here and there.

I'm home to replace a bolt in a tooth on the grinder; I finished the job and figured I'd come home (15 min) change it and grab a bite to eat.

So far the grinder is doing fantastic. I ground a large, healthy pine stump as hard as I could to get the temps up. The cooling system did a fine job, no idiot lights came on by the time I was out of stump. :lol:

Good deal, Carl. Glad you got it fixed.

I spent 7.5 hours picking moss out of oak trees today. Big expensive house with a long skinny driveway and a couple tight turns near the house. I dinged the rain gutter trying to get in there first thing this morning so I started out in the negative, but everything went smoothly the rest of the day. I have another half day there tomorrow to finish up.

My camera has been in the truck for several weeks. If the battery isn't dead yet I'll snap a couple pictures tomorrow. Pretty trees.

I feel weird telling you guys what I did today now that I'm working under someone 3 days a week.

We did a bunch of odd jobs. Small prune and take down job 1, raise two trees job 2, remove a couple leaders over a house job 3, take down two tiny birches job 4.

Might sneak in another day with him tomorrow, then a couple of my own jobs the rest of the week.

Ended up taking a 3ish hour lunch/changing the teeth break.

Went back out and knocked out 3 goodly sized stump near a street that sees an average of 19-20k cars a day (2 lane) for one customer, then knocked out a stump I made the week before I went to Cali.

Back home, nothing broke, and got coin to put in the bank.

Wrecked a fat oak next to a house today. Home owner got some pics i'll try to get. Got 2 logs left to go get tomorow

went to court, paid the fee and lodged the complaint / suit. got home and walked to the post office to send the summons out registered mail. :)

Jay, figure out which direction you think the hung tree will slide out of the tree it's stuck on the easiest, then buck on a steep angle so the butt of the top slides off sideways to the opposite direction. It can be tricky. Use the same analysis of tension and compression as a normal buck to determine the sequence of cuts. A thin pie-shaped wedge taken out on the compression side can help allow the tension to ease off a smidge more gradually.

Thank you, Burnham, will try to employ your suggestions. Been paying less attention to which way the hung up tree will slide out of the other one, than just bucking perpendicular to the bind. You know the results....deja vu scenario over and over, until the tree finally falls.

Wedge sounds good, and just happen to have a buggered up one to reshape from yesterday :|:

Back