How'd it go today?

Egg hunt today. Not my cup of tea, not my holiday or holy day. But, the kids love this kinda crap, so we went. I'm bad about snapping pictures, but I did get one of me and Gir-Baby while she was smiling for a change.
20240330_123850.jpg

I hate weekends right now, the two days out of the week when job hunting is pointless. Gonna bother the fellow with the paint work on Monday, and hope I don't catch him in the middle of something important. I know I hate stopping a spray rig once I start, or anything else concerning paint, really.

Still trying to figure out my exit strategy. I've got to get out of here, away from the ex. Not sure what the best path is. Obviously "Job" is the top of the list, but that job will dictate how I leave. I've gotta save up a grip of cash and buy a piece of land. That land will end up being in the sticks, likely further out than I am now. Thus I need fuel saving wheels. I can only save so much if I've got a V8 munching at my money. But, I may end up living in my truck while I bank up as much dough as I can, or getting a rental of some flavor, depends on the job. Can I afford rent, utilities, etc, while also saving 15-20% of every dollar I take home? Can I keep a job while living in a camper in my truck? Will Gertrude hold together long enough for me to pull this off? All this is answered by my current daily mantra "Get A Job".

I can't let myself get stuck in renter's prison, paying all buy the tiniest fractions of my income to a landlord and never owning anything. I need to get and hold a job for at least a year, while also living as cheaply as I can, so I can put some of my own dirt under my feet again. Either I buy an acre or so of undeveloped land, at the end of another rough dirt road, hopefully cash outright. Or the alternative is a big fat down payment on a low priced owner-will-carry, so I can keep the payments both lower and fewer.

Apartments and trailer parks are out, my dogs are a no-go. The boys have a purpose, and the aggression inherit in that purpose makes them ill suited to urban life. It would be nothing short of a protracted death sentence for them, and a world of pain and problems for me. To be fair, that's the biggest hang up in my program, my dogs. I didn't ask for, or really want either of them, truth be told, they where feisted upon me, and now she's made it clear that they go with me when I go. 100lbs of Rottweiler is a pretty firm "NO" from any landlord i know of.

Anywho, end of existential venting...

With my ex having picked up some very distressing behaviors recently, I have to have room for the girls at all times.

I'd love to have a bike again, but I've ridden most of my life, and had a few nasty wrecks. It's not just the cost of the bike, it's all the gear too. I'm a bit of a diva, but Shoei helmets have saved my life twice, so there's $800-1200 right there. Boots, pants, jacket, gloves, shoulda just bought a KIA!

Went out this morning to finish splitting the ash I removed with maul+wedges. It was the weird pieces that wouldn't split with an axe. I didn't get very far, I've never had wood that was harder to split. It's all confused stringy grain. Just getting a wedge set took several attempts. It would just bounce out. Got about five pieces split. The rest I'll do with a saw. I'm saving one to use as an anvil. If it survives complete drying intact, it'll be a tough SOB to bang on.

@Kaveman Chic looking glasses, sir! I got a new pair just recently! You can see them in my latest video! I've been in "renter's prison" for an excruciating amount of time and I can wholeheartedly understand why you are opposed to that type of living arrangement, especially considering your dogs! I hope that you are able to become gainfully employed sooner than later! Thinking about you (no homo)!

Happy Easter, everyone! I'm a heathen, so I won't be going to church today, but I did hide a hardboiled egg somewhere at my parent's house a few years back when I was drinking heavily and it has yet to be found! =-P

As for me, I'm pumped to be moving back to Massachusetts sometime before July 15th when my lease it up. Right now, four months before I will be moving, it's pretty pointless for me to be looking at new apartments in MA because the odds of any of them being available by the time I move are slim to none. So, at the moment, it makes me anxious to be unable to secure a new place to live.

I am planning on moving to a city called Quincy, which has excellent public transportation, is right on the ocean, is close to Boston, and has everything I need within walking distance at most locations! Unfortunately, the cost of living in MA is much higher than AZ,, so I won't be able to get as much for my money when it comes to apartments/rooms. However, the upside is that my insurance will cost me effectively nothing compared to AZ and I will no longer need to spend money on rides through Lyft. Also, the quality of doctors will increase tenfold as I'll be able to resume my care at Massachusetts General Hospital once again, which is statistically one of the best, if not the best, hospitals on the planet.

Additionally, I am fully preparing to get involved with actual tree work once I've moved and, fortunately, I have several connections to various companies thanks to my father and his networking. Either that or I'll begin working at Home Depot again, which is easily my absolute favorite place to work! Previously, I had worked there for around three years and got several awards for providing outstanding customer service, so it should be pretty easy to get back to work there, I hope!

The prospect of doing actual tree work really excites me. I would obviously need to and want to work my way up from the bottom, starting as a groundie and then eventually accelerating into becoming a climber. Being able to understand every aspect of tree work from the ground up is something I feel is important for me to have before climbing. Although my understanding of climbing techniques is pretty honed at the moment, I will need to learn a lot about rigging and how to use a saw in technical situations.

Anyways, really excited to move back to MA! I have a lot of work to do insofar as cleaning my apartment, so I can hopefully get my damage deposit back after living here for four years, and I'll need to find a company to ship all of my climbing and videography and photography equipment over to MA, and a few other important tasks!

The closer I get to moving home, the happier I am and the better the overall energy is surrounding my quality of life! Arizona is beautiful, and the weather is consistently nice (except for Summers), but I much prefer Massachusetts for many reasons. Besides, I really want to get closer to my family again now that I'm all alone out here in AZ now that my relationship of 7 years came to a screeching halt.

One bit of advice I can give you regarding treework is get in shape! You have some time before the show starts, and I'd take advantage of it. You're smart enough to quickly learn how to do the technical aspects of whatever company you end up does, but there's no quick way to adapt to relentlessly dragging brush, and moving logs.

Keep in mind I've never worked for a tree company, and I'm old, so my filter may be off regarding what younger people are capable of(I have a hard time remembering anymore :^D ), but slacking leaves a bad impression. I've run into it surveying, and watching someone panting after getting to the top of the hill is an eyerolling experience, especially if you were waiting for them.

I say this as someone who slacks. Working with Mike's a humbling experience. That guy really goes. Seems like he's never really done. There's always enough energy for more. I feel bad not being able to keep up, but I'd feel even worse if I were 20 years younger, and trying to make a good impression on a new company I started with.

One bit of advice I can give you regarding treework is get in shape! You have some time before the show starts, and I'd take advantage of it. You're smart enough to quickly learn how to do the technical aspects of whatever company you end up does, but there's no quick way to adapt to relentlessly dragging brush, and moving logs.

Keep in mind I've never worked for a tree company, and I'm old, so my filter may be off regarding what younger people are capable of(I have a hard time remembering anymore :^D ), but slacking leaves a bad impression. I've run into it surveying, and watching someone panting after getting to the top of the hill is an eyerolling experience, especially if you were waiting for them.

I say this as someone who slacks. Working with Mike's a humbling experience. That guy really goes. Seems like he's never really done. There's always enough energy for more. I feel bad not being able to keep up, but I'd feel even worse if I were 20 years younger, and trying to make a good impression on a new company I started with.
You're definitely not wrong lol I am out of shape and hope to remedy that over the next few months! Already in better shape than I was a few months ago, back when I was panting in my videos after ascending 30 feet in a rope walk.

You're absolutely correct; being out of shape is not a good look and tree work is hard work. I'm confident in my ability to getting into shape, and it will be absolutely necessary for my success as a human being, regardless of wheter or not I'm doing tree work. My health has somewhat gone by the wayside since moving to Arizona and I'm not at all happy about it.

Time to eat better and exercise! Already doing both as much as I can as of a few months ago! However, there's a lot more room for progress. Anyway, thanks for your comment!

Went out this morning to finish splitting the ash I removed with maul+wedges. It was the weird pieces that wouldn't split with an axe. I didn't get very far, I've never had wood that was harder to split. It's all confused stringy grain. Just getting a wedge set took several attempts. It would just bounce out. Got about five pieces split. The rest I'll do with a saw. I'm saving one to use as an anvil. If it survives complete drying intact, it'll be a tough SOB to bang on.
Helps if you make a curf with a saw to place the wedge into.
And you need a 590 :P

I've got a 362. For a truck saw, I could do a lot worse than a cs400. That's what I'd buy given the choice. Small enough to tuck out of the way, but enough power to get some real work done. I'm giving /some/ thought to buying another 355 as a truck saw. I can fit one of those in a cat litter bucket, but that's really extravagant for something that's only a trivial convenience, and I'd prefer a rear handle for general duty.

I've been thinking about Old Smoky. My biggest issue with it(aside from it being a piece of shit) is the oil cap doesn't fit right. Some time, I want to see if I can knock something together to plug the hole. Maybe cork, or wood dowel with an Oring or something. I don't know what cap really fits. That model is hard to track down online. It has a stupid hex cap in the stock style, but I don't think it's original to the saw. It doesn't fit right. Probably off of some other stupid McCulloch.

Long afternoon at the mill today. I dug some of the gravel base up where I'm not going to be actively working. I spread that where I needed to fix some holes in the yard. Then I moved stuff that was in the way, to the spot that isn't in the way. My customers are going to think they are at the wrong sawmill. :/: Picked up a small sawing job from a good customer this afternoon as well.

Well, I got a job... in a month...maybe? It's a matter of when work picks up enough to justify a second guy. With the weather we've been having, I completely understand. Can't paint houses in the rain and snow, the paint don't like it much. Got a few ideas to make a little money till then, but much of it depends on the weather also. Little bit of tractor stuff, and maybe scrounging a cord of wood to sell. If the weather cooperates, I may have a two acre yard clean up to do. Lots of stuff up in the air, we'll see what comes down where.

Back