How'd it go today?

That was the initial plan Bermy. This was the "good" one of the trees I asked about, with a good tie in. I guess the difference is mental. If you're willing to take a swing, then it shouldn't matter, right? Before, it was the idea I'd have a backup if things went pear shaped, but it probably wouldn't be needed. The odds of needing it went up by my calculation. Where I keep ending up is 'tree goes where?' when it breaks out. Could be on top of me. I work by myself, so there's no assistance for a good while.

I still have a bunch more trees to work on around it, and it'll give me a 270° view, so I can examine it better. Refine my approach from there.

John,
I’ll be back East in two weeks if you want a hand with some of that work. I’m willing to work for the ‘experience’, no pay, and then you wouldn’t need to call in ‘professional’ help. I can run ground crew or tag-team the climbing with you to get it done. Maybe we get Treehouser to come out and make a day of it.

Jeez, I don't know Pat. The work isn't that fun aside from maybe the deadwooding/devining, and that's just straight up/down removing stuff. This is a weird job in that it's open ended, and semi paying. I'm kinda just doing what I want out here. The very rough guidelines I got was move the wood, and maybe remove vines. For the vine removal, I think they just had killing them in mind. The climbing up and yanking them out of the trees is a value add for them, and just fun for me after dragging logs. I don't have any real timeline, and nobody's pressuring me for anything. I figure anything outside my ability just won't get done, and that should be fine. So far the big winner was going through it with the brushcutter. The wife really liked that. That was easiest part! :^D

If you think it would be fun, then sure, but there's better climbing trees on the farm that would be more fun to do I think.

Knee_Ascender-0.1-alpha2...

IMG_20220202_084744.jpg

Used a scrap of epicord with ghetto constrictor tied eyes. Will it work? I don't think so. I used stringline cause I didn't have small paracord handy at the time, and I didn't crank down on it as much as I'd like. Might be a good project learning to splice it? Maybe pop rivets... Doubled the bungie over, closed the eyes a little more, and opposed the "gates". I think this'll be too much tension. Just figuring out what good tension is. That whole bungie is just a placeholder til I get the general system refined. I do think I'll stick with hardware store bungies though. Just need to remove the hardware once I'm happy with the placement/tension. Keeping the dangling strap for now. Once I get something good, I tthink I'll tape it to the tether. That way it can go back to a foot ascender with a couple minutes work.

John, you may have to much bulk where the rope exits.

Can you attach a foot loop to the for ascender strap with a buckle?
I wonder how force at the current spot and at the strap will advance the rope compared to the strap location.

View attachment 117818

Used a scrap of epicord with ghetto constrictor tied eyes. Will it work? I don't think so. I used stringline cause I didn't have small paracord handy at the time, and I didn't crank down on it as much as I'd like. Might be a good project learning to splice it? Maybe pop rivets... Doubled the bungie over, closed the eyes a little more, and opposed the "gates". I think this'll be too much tension. Just figuring out what good tension is. That whole bungie is just a placeholder til I get the general system refined. I do think I'll stick with hardware store bungies though. Just need to remove the hardware once I'm happy with the placement/tension. Keeping the dangling strap for now. Once I get something good, I tthink I'll tape it to the tether. That way it can go back to a foot ascender with a couple minutes work.
If I were going with this design I would use a seized whip lock. Or I think that is what it’s called. It’s basically a hangman’s noose wrapped around the ends you want to capture with the loop pulled up inside capturing the tail in the midd of the wraps. Should be plenty strong for body weight not life support, obviously.
I used this for a dog tie out at shop. 6C0C4E2D-0887-4A8D-80FC-52A9A7DE55AB.jpeg
It hasn’t moved with junior pulling on it wanting a bunny.

Are there still a lot of them left?

Do they regrow/regenerate fast?
Yes there are a fair amount left, but a portion of the true giants are on Forestry land and threatened by logging. If they are a certain size they are subject to preservation but the buffer zone around them is...well what do I know as a jonny come lately. Some of the big preserved ones on forest reserves were impacted by the big Bushfires we had in 2016, but they did a lot of work to try and protect them, it did help.
A bloke I know goes hunting for them, then climbs and measures them and flags them as needing protection.
Forestry logging does regen burns, I'm not sure of the regrowth rate but I think they typically leave coupes for 60/80 years?
Some are in the World Heritage Wilderness area approximately one third of the state is WHW, then National Parks and forest reserves on top of that. Tarkine, Styx, Huon Valley are some places where they are. They haven't all been found by any stretch.
Then there are the everyday big trees, just big effin eucalyptus like normal on normal crown land or private property. Not just E regnans either, other species too.

Out on ROW clearing. It’s nice and peaceful. Gonna try to get another hour or so before calling it for the day. Something about rain in February just takes the drive out of me😆. Cameron just hit barbed wire in a spar. Like oks like the day might be done rather soon

View attachment 117818

Want a piece of 5/16” Tenex? You could basically set it up like the original HAAS, or get creative. Maybe separate the foot loop from the rest of it.
Would be no trouble at all to send 10 feet or so, enough for 2 or 3 different configurations. I got more of this skinny Tenex than I’ll ever need.

Good-Neutral news/commentary...

Sean - I don't know. As it stands, it has plenty of clearance. That's just sitting on a desk though. Might not work in active climbing. Remains to be seen. My footstrap is the ankle strap off the foot ascender. I'm very happy with that, but I want to scare up some noobstraps I have /somewhere/, and use those to save wear on the climbing stuff. I don't have a use for noobstraps otherwise.

Flushcut - I like the looks of that. I'm already assuming the constrictors will fail. My next go would have been reaming the cord with my marlinspike, running a piece of paracord through, then tying a double constrictor around the whole mess. What you have looks easier.

Jonny(and explanation) - I should be good with materials. I picked this cord cause it was sitting in front of me. I didn't have my cord lengths finalized, and I pulled a length out of my ass when I ordered it. I ended up with significant waste. This is just to use something otherwise unusable. It's also a first attempt at saving the sewn strap on the foot ascender. That way it can easily be a foot ascender again without any effort or tools. I have webbing somewhere I can use, and cutting that strap off and using that would be much cleaner, but if I wanted to use the foot ascender again, I'd have to sew or rivet on a new strap. Not that hard, but harder than leaving what's there on until I know for sure it's unworkable or stupid.

Got my new phone today! Gonna be spending time setting it up. Tedious, but my old phone is just getting too old at this point. Performance has been in the toilet.

Bad news...

Got a call from my brother that my mother is in the hospital. Turns out she has stage 3 cancer of some type. I'll find out exactly what at a future date. They're moving her to hospice tomorrow, and then ??? Looks like it's the final mile. Had to come eventually, but deep down I think everyone hopes it doesn't.

I’m so sorry man.
I’m putting it mildly I’m sure, but this is going to suck. I watched cancer take my mom when I was 24, and it was the hardest thing myself and my family have ever been through. I hope COVID protocols won’t interfere with visitation. Hospice is usually on board with having a patient surrounded by every loved one they have, hopefully you can spend every spare minute with her. The nurses from hospice are a special breed of badass, and they’ll likely be doing everything in their power to make her comfortable.

Good-Neutral news/commentary...

Sean - I don't know. As it stands, it has plenty of clearance. That's just sitting on a desk though. Might not work in active climbing. Remains to be seen. My footstrap is the ankle strap off the foot ascender. I'm very happy with that, but I want to scare up some noobstraps I have /somewhere/, and use those to save wear on the climbing stuff. I don't have a use for noobstraps otherwise.

Flushcut - I like the looks of that. I'm already assuming the constrictors will fail. My next go would have been reaming the cord with my marlinspike, running a piece of paracord through, then tying a double constrictor around the whole mess. What you have looks easier.

Jonny(and explanation) - I should be good with materials. I picked this cord cause it was sitting in front of me. I didn't have my cord lengths finalized, and I pulled a length out of my ass when I ordered it. I ended up with significant waste. This is just to use something otherwise unusable. It's also a first attempt at saving the sewn strap on the foot ascender. That way it can easily be a foot ascender again without any effort or tools. I have webbing somewhere I can use, and cutting that strap off and using that would be much cleaner, but if I wanted to use the foot ascender again, I'd have to sew or rivet on a new strap. Not that hard, but harder than leaving what's there on until I know for sure it's unworkable or stupid.

Got my new phone today! Gonna be spending time setting it up. Tedious, but my old phone is just getting too old at this point. Performance has been in the toilet.

Bad news...

Got a call from my brother that my mother is in the hospital. Turns out she has stage 3 cancer of some type. I'll find out exactly what at a future date. They're moving her to hospice tomorrow, and then ??? Looks like it's the final mile. Had to come eventually, but deep down I think everyone hopes it doesn't.
Sorry to hear about your mom.

It is super simple and this is the seizing I use on all of my line ends and splices. In practically three decades of using this method I can only remember one coming undone from wearing thru.

Back