How'd it go today?

Sorry no pics or videos today. At noon today the only tracks on my road were from me. Storm hit at the right time that road crews couldn’t keep up. Ended up getting the day off. Cleared some driveways and that’s about it. I have to visit the BMV tomorrow morning and test for my air brakes endorsement. I’ve been class A for years but until recently didn’t realize that I don’t have air on it. Paper trail has been long lost since I tested 20+ years ago. If I wait till Monday I’d have to take a class to get it. Basically six weeks and six grand. F that. I’ll get the book out and glance over it tonight. Can’t believe the state troopers have never said a word about that restriction on my license in all the “chats” we’ve had over the years. Even that PUCO officer didn’t mention it.

I just got my CDL temporary permit 2 days ago because of that February 7th deadline. I got the knowledge part done which means now I've got the next year to get the road test and practical skills done. But once I got the temporary permit out of the way the rest of it falls into place. The knowledge test on the air brakes was kind of prickly. I just had to read that section multiple times and think it through since I don't actually have any air brakes to work with and fuss with and learn about. I won't be getting that endorsement but I had to pass the written part of the test for class A license.

Thanks! I don't have any firewood issues for the foreseeable future. I'm just thinking of the semi distant future, when I maybe don't have access to the farm at work, but that day may never come. If I had storage, I could collect wood from standing dead that would last the rest of my life.

It takes 6 grand for an air brake endorsement?!?! What does a class A CDL cost?
Nope. From what I’ve heard the required training cost somewhere around 6k. Basically six weeks of night school to drive a truck now. Not the worst idea really.
I’m just pissed that I didn’t catch the mistake on my license until a few years ago. It’s my fault for
not double checking the paperwork.

Yep, that's what I understand, too. After Feb. 7 it's a very different CDL situation.

Alex has completed his full CDL licensure for our F450, 24K trailer combination vehicle rating. They test you on the vehicle you show up in.

I THINK if Alex and I ever decide to get air brakes endorsement we can just do the practical/road skill/veh. inspection "real world" test since we have already passed the knowledge exam. But we would have to show up in a full tractor/trailer rig to demonstrate we know how to do the very specific air brake hookups, emergency line setups, air system tests, coupling/uncoupling, and on and on. No plans to get air brake endorsements now since we don'ts gotz any.

He got dinged on his practical test for only pumping his brakes 2x instead of 3x for the pre-trip test of brakes...on his brand new Ford F450. They want it done RIGHT. Oh, well.

Gary, you say that now, you'll be getting air brakes soon enough! Big trucks often go cheap at auction because there are less available drivers in the workforce. If you aren't scared to turn wrenches there's deals to be had.

hahaha...I do see the possibility down the road but I don't dare discuss it around my wife right now. We are just now finally seeming to get our ducks in a row with this truck, trailer, excavator. Which reminds me...I need to update the "Excavator" thread. Some changes lately, good ones.

Rich, that is how I understand it, too. Since you already have a CDL you just need to schedule a road test for the endorsement (or restriction removal...same thing, I guess) and get that done. It does not seem to me like it has to be urgent based on the Feb. 7 date...that is for folks scrambling to get the "learner's permit" for a CDL which is what I have for now. I have to wait at least 2 weeks before I do the road test...and I am glad to do that. It was stressful getting the knowledge stuff done. I was skeered I might get sick or hurt and not get to take the test before Feb. 7. It was a BIG relief when the computer let me know I had passed! I felt like a kid in school that had just passed a big final exam, weight of the world lifted.

Oh damn.

I'm in that boat of CDL with no air brake endorsement but I drive an air brake cdl truck. Are ya'll saying I've missed the boat re feb 7th being the date after which it will be a giant hassle to get that endorsement?

Cory...my understanding is that if you already have a Class A CDL you are OK. You just need to schedule and go thru the air brakes practical/road test. And my understanding is that is NOT subject to the Feb. 7 deadline.

That Feb. 7 deadline was the date by which someone has to complete the knowledge part of the test (computer test) at the DDS and then you get a "learner's permit" which is a form of CDL.

This is what I just grabbed off the GA Dept of Driver Svcs page:

"Note: Beginning February 7, 2022, ALL entry-level drivers will be subject to the requirements in the FMCSA Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations. This includes drivers applying for a Class A or B for the first time, upgrading an existing CDL to a higher class, or adding a new School Bus, Passenger, or Hazmat Endorsement."

As I read that above, if you are Class A now and are not adding Bus, Passenger or Hazmat, and are just getting air brake endorsement, you don't have to worry about Feb. 7. I was sweating the date because I am

"ALL entry-level drivers ...and This includes drivers applying for a Class A or B for the first time".

Sounds like you (and Rich) already have the official CDL permit...just not approved for air brakes.

:cry: I'll have to head to the community college i guess when I'm ready to get mine. No biggie but that's annoying and expensive.

Maybe enough folks will complain about it they'll change the law back. They complain about not having enough truck drivers but a lot of people are not going to be able to afford going to school like that.

Wow! Boy, things just got a lot more involved and expensive with the CDL. I thought with the truck driver shortage, they would maybe relax regulations. Definitely didn’t expect the opposite

The whole industry is moving towards stuff like this, just look at the cco requirements for cranes and rigging now. As a job truck driving is likely coming to an end as we know it, but it's still dangerous as can be. Like anything else on life, the "trucker shortage" doesn't exist, the trucker shortage for guys willing to work for nothing does. Same thing as the so called skill gap that doesn't exist, they just don't want to have to pay for guys like me.

In Mass you pretty much have to go to the school anyway. If you do it independently, they will flunk you the first test no matter what, and good luck getting anyone to loan you a rig in the first place.

Visited mom today. Dunno about this hospice. She's pretty stoned, and not cool stoned like shrooms or acid, just plain old nodding off incoherent stoned. The CNA thought she heard something about pain, and a little later they're in with more pills. The nurse(?) said they're scheduled every 8hr, but it could be as much as every 4hr as-needed. I saw two doses, and I wasn't there 4hr total.

This was the third time I've been there, and I don't think they ensure eating. They drop the food off, and whatever gets eaten by my stoned out mother is it. Today, there was some fatty/stringy choker beef, spinach, mashed potato, and some chunks of fresh fruit. She wouldn't have eaten hardly any of it if I didn't feed her. I took the crap out of the beef, and gave her small pieces to eat, and cut the fruit much smaller with my knife, and gave her a piece at a time. Same with the spinach and taters. Like feeding a child. Takes awhile, and involves some discussion.

I sort of get it; I guess... Not seeing the point though. Keeping someone alive isn't keeping them living. There's some pain? Yea, so what. Life is pain. If you aren't cognizant, you're only meeting the base standards of "life". A hot dose of fentanyl would be more pragmatic.

Ask them about Ensure or some other brand like that, I’m sure they have them. Kinda like a multivitamin with a bunch of calories and they taste pretty good.

Yea, that stuff's pretty good. The problem as I see it is too many drugs. She fucks around with the tray like she's looking for something under it(?), asks me about rolls that don't exist, acts like we're eating out to dinner... Just not altogether in touch with reality aside from a few very brief moments. Reminds me a bit of dealing with people on pcp.

Dunno... Seems like you either do it right, or abort the process. There's legal ramifications of doing the right thing, but maybe those laws should be changed. I'm damned sure I'll never be in the same place though. Just need to figure out exactly how when the time comes. Might be in the garage doing some car work with the engine running(ICE FTW!). If the world were just, it would be a nice fat line of Chinese fentanyl.

Back