How'd it go today?

My new saddle just got delivered! Supposed to be chilly this week, and since my boss is a pussy, I might get some quality time with it since it's likely he won't want to be outside more than is absolutely necessary. Looking forward to trying it out :^)

Took the youngest 2 on a hike nearby. Found a massive, lonesome American beech and some natural oddities

Attachments

• DF5E6423-8B49-4FD0-BECD-2220C1DF0D64.jpeg
    DF5E6423-8B49-4FD0-BECD-2220C1DF0D64.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 1E497DEA-1BFD-4323-83C9-0F79294E0D34.jpeg
    1E497DEA-1BFD-4323-83C9-0F79294E0D34.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 17
  • 30F56D0E-88ED-4478-8794-BE1B56DC1FF5.jpeg
    30F56D0E-88ED-4478-8794-BE1B56DC1FF5.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
  • B874FF77-6AFE-4EB5-8FA6-DD6D7575136F.jpeg
    B874FF77-6AFE-4EB5-8FA6-DD6D7575136F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Some Vines are good for getting water from in a survival situation.

Yes I have to see vines overtaking a nice tree, I frequently cut them. But I'm not sure which vines are "good" vines, some benefit birds I'm sure.

Bittersweet(shown above) is an invasive. Maybe... There's a native version also, but isn't as aggressive from what I've read. I don't know the difference in the field, so I kill them all to make sure :^D

I tolerate Virginia creeper. It doesn't appear to overwhelm trees with weight, and is fairly easy to deal with. It also doesn't form ZOMG!!! invasive patches like bittersweet does.

English ivy is annoying, but the slow growth makes it kinda sorta easy to control. Worst part is it holds on like a rabid pitbull. It's said it doesn't harm trees, but I'm not convinced. Seems like it might trap water next to the bark and cause rot. Was the rot there before or after?

Wild grape is impressive. That's the old school vine that you saw here before the invasives showed up. It gets big enough to pull trees over. Cut a vine, and water will pour out certain times of the year(probably spring, but I never particularly noticed). Almost worth having around cause of the "jungle" look, but they are hard on trees.

Winter creeper see English ivy above. Similar, and invasive also. Not super common here.

I think that's all the vines I know. There's some others, but I don't know what to call them, and they don't seem to cause particular problems.

Oh, forgot friggin' greenbriar. Holy shit that stuff can be awful. Like steel cables covered in pokies. Good thing it doesn't tend to grow in dense patches around here, but it's a PITA to deal with, and hard to cut.

edit:
Also forgot poison ivy. Not much to say about that. At least it isn't invasive :^/

edit2:
Mile a minute weed! How could I forget good ol' mile a minute weed. Super easy to cut, but good for leaving thorns in your skin just brushing by it. Shit sucks. That'll take over an area quick.

Last edited:
Time to replace the spark plugs on our 2010 Subaru Forester tomorrow...weather forecast being quite benign for this time of year :).

It takes removal of the battery for the driver's side and the air filter box and piping for the passenger side just to get marginal access. After that, it takes an ungodly combination of swivels and extensions for the ratchet drive. Next to no room to work. Fortunately, it is not my first ride in this particular rodeo ;).

Damned engineers :D.
Succeeded with the work just fine...but this is the sort of job that can cause the arthritis in my hands to flare badly. Coldish working conditions and a lot of manipulating things with the fingers and thumbs. A bit of discomfort tonight...but it'll respond to the ibuprofen and some time near the woodstove :).

Jonny!!!!!!!

Dont do it!!!!

There's always next year!!!!

That was truly one of the most insane games ever, if not the GOAT.

KC gonna murder Bengals. Rams>49ers.

That pic of Josh Allens face on the bench after the loss was pretty incredible. Heart broken.

As a casual fan and occasionally paying spectator, I’m very pleased with how they went out. That was a doozy of a game and it’s nice to not be able to see folks point a finger at a player or two that set them back in penalties. All in all clean plays, refs were on point, and young Mr Allen showed again that he ain’t afraid to run and get hit sometimes as well as rarely miss his target.

Crazy professional and worthy opponent, and I’m rooting for KC next week against the Bengals.

Just sitting around in quarantine… head out in the morning to get PCR test. Negative result will mean I can start helping out with the grandson. Been catching up on reading and almost finished the LLC taxes. Got bored so I pulled apart, cleaned, and rebuilt the DeLonghi espresso maker. Still a bit jet lagged, odd as I usually do fine with a mere three time zone hop.
#4 was visiting a college friend on her farm east of Austin. This is her holding a one-day old kid.
025F2303-3253-464B-9026-7F2503325980.jpeg
FA249D78-F7E3-40D3-8FC1-0E0889192D3D.jpeg
15249FFE-78C5-4C35-9B51-093FF00D5AFB.jpeg

We were having a late start because of temps but they cancelled the day instead. Citing temps and poor road conditions plus the incoming system that’s bringing more snow. Because of this my week end goals can now be achieved😁. I wouldn’t be upset if they cancelled the whole week.
I don’t know what you are supposed to be like but the rest of the week looks real cold for us double digit negatives over night.

Temps should be ok tomorrow and maybe Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon they are supposed to start dropping and not get pleasant at all Thursday. If we’re off I’ll be out at the woodpile or something to keep busy. Idle hands will get me into trouble.
By the time I would get there that lamb will full grown Jim.

Got hit with shrapnel today. I was bullpinning stakes, and a piece of metal broke off and hit me in the forehead. Left a 2mm-3mm hole. There might be metal still in there. I'm gonna go over it with a rare earth magnet when I get home, and see if it'll pull anything out. Could have been worse. I worked with a guy who lost an eye the same way.

Back