How'd it go today?

Be well, my friend. The idea of back surgery always has given me the willie's...so much can turn on the smallest things. I've never needed it, but I have several close friends that have either done so, or elected not to...seems it's about 50/50 as to who does better.

Be well, my friend. The idea of back surgery always has given me the willie's...so much can turn on the smallest things. I've never needed it, but I have several close friends that have either done so, or elected not to...seems it's about 50/50 as to who does better.
Very true Burnham, definitely not a quick cure and not deemed to work for all. The operation I had 10 years ago was definitely needed but has still left me with nerve damage and weakness but i can cope with it. This op was done on both sides now although I had been offered lumbar injections but only on one side. I have had these before but limited success so considered surgery the better long term option. Today it feels like I have had a good ole lump of your redwood roll over me!! Thanks all for the well wishes.

Another routine day. Got off a little early, and took my climbing gear home. Wasn't sure if my back was up to it, but it's gotta get here anyway...

Took another look at my locust. Remember my description in the other thread? Yea, it doesn't look anything like that. Well, it does if you smooth out all the parts, and set the tree up so it'll be easy. I've done that before. I don't know what my problem is. I'll look at a tree, rough in how I think I'm gonna do it, then make the tree in my head conform to my plan, reality be damned.

Geometry's pretty bad for my double tie plan. Angles are too small, and I don't like the crotch I intended on using. I'm now thinking a limb walk with spurs, and nibble it back a bit at a time. I'm still not convinced the limb will hold me, but if I'm tied off, I should only get a startling swing out of a failure. Still have to do some thinking on it, and let my back get a bit better.

While I was looking at the tree, a pileated woodpecker landed, and chipped away some bark. Those are super cool birds. I always like seeing them, but not necessarily in my trees :^D
Throw a rope over the limb, pull down.

the tail of the rope can be set up to mitigate a swing. @pete mctree, iirc, said he took a bad pendulum swing 4 years back.

Steve doing shackles isn't too bad, I've done so many Ford leaf spring hangers that I've got it down to a science :lol: Some heat can definitely help, and the parts are usually pretty cheap too. If you take the bed off it's even easier

How does that work Jim? Do you trailer your horses to a central location? Use someone else's horses? Ride one there(coolest option)?

Someone's doing OK out there in your neck of the...uh...not woods, so must be high prairie :). Cadillac SUV does not come cheap :D.

Remember I said I had a couple trees to top for a client? I can't remember what thread we were having that
conversation about topping in. Something I definitely discourage them from doing. But when that's all they will agree on having done with targets in reach, well, their money spends.
I only did one of the two oaks today. A ton of cut and toss into a couple tiny holes in canopy next to a fence. The homeowner did not show up as he was supposed to today. So I was comfortable with what I did to one tree, but uncertain on the second one. So I am waiting to get with him to be absolutely sure how far back he wants to take it. I hate doing things twice or making apologies after the fact.
IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0288.JPG
Fodder... Oak hedge.

Reactions: DMc
Played catch-up at my house/ shop. Cleaned out truck, shopvac and all! Offloaded some excess stuff, 4 out of the 6 pack of mix-oil, excess new rags, replenish ppe kinda stuff.

catching up on weeds, overgrown grass on an acre or so. Tidy neighbors just Cleared an adjacent edge, and installed a playground and pool for their kids/ family. Tidying up my edge and considering where to add privacy screening for their new area in relation to my work yard...neighborly.

Basically out of my house, packed into my not-rented storage bedroom/ bathroom, and adding a few new locking knobs. Good days!😀 I will miss living there, but town life is pretty fantastic.

Last edited:
Got my tooth done. Looks a lot better now, but my bank account doesn't.

Steve doing shackles isn't too bad, I've done so many Ford leaf spring hangers that I've got it down to a science :lol: Some heat can definitely help, and the parts are usually pretty cheap too. If you take the bed off it's even easier

There'd be some heat alright, and some language. I think I'll let them do it. Parts are around $350/$400, and taking the bed off is a big job.

Took the chip box off and had the tray resprayed last year, the old paint was looking pretty bad from the chips. This is 2 pack so should last a bit longer.

truck painted 006.jpg

Great goose video!

I can't believe y'all are talking and showing that stuff. Earlier today I was remembering when I lifeguarded at a deep woods, swamp area in South Georgia, approx. 1972. I was the city boy that somehow ended up lifeguarding at the deep swamp church camp. It was kind of hectic with kids all over....farm younguns at church camp and then pandemonium seemed to break out. Two or three local boys came strutting into the pool area walking their turtle on a leash...probably a loggerhead...a slow, big, lugging, slogging turtle...basically pulling those guys wherever it wanted to go. I don't recollect how it turned out but my lasting image of those boys walking that turtle (or it walking them) has always stayed with me.

Back