How'd it go today?

Saw some birds acting funny out the guest bedroom window, noticed something different in the driveway.

Found this lil fella, anyone ID a species?

DSC05625.jpg

DSC05627.jpg

I don't know Carl, but he sure is a pretty one. All the water garter snakes here are doing the spring time orgy thing. Balls of knotted up snakes.

I rescued a small bat yesterday on dead cottonwood I was taking down. It was pretty cool to be able to hold him and check him out up close. They do carry rabies, though, so you have to be careful. He bit the heck out of my glove until I got a steady hold on him.

Carl, Looks like a Lab mix.:D

As for the snake... I don't know perhaps a young and skinny Bull Snake-the marking pattern looks close and coloration can vary widely.....but thee are so many snakes I don't really keep up except with dangerous ones and even then only when it is relevant to where I happen to be.

Looked like a bull/rat snake to me as well Carl.

Worked on a mower today. Couldn't get the thing to run right! Cleaned the carb, new plug, checked the key on the flywheel, nothing! Still backfires through the carb! Set the valves. Wouldn't start at all:? Set the valves again, ran worse:? Pulled the head, it's clean and the valves worked fine. Put it back together, same thing!
Called the guy, "Yeah, it started running like that after I loaned it out, I never could get it right after that."
DUH!!!!!! They ran it out of oil is my guess, and killed the cam gear! This was just needing the carb cleaned when it got dropped off at my dads!!! People!!

Came home and a box was on the front porch with two bottles of Jack in it and a nice thank you card!! Life got better after that:D

Waltzed around the crown of a willow today getting the dead stuff out. Elevated a BIG pin oak. Dealt with the insurance adjuster today because i hit a deer with my mountaineer on saturday. He was a jerk off and i ended up leaving spur the moment. It was that or smash his face and i have come too far in life for the latter of the 2. I wouldnt take the vehicle to one of the garages that Progressive "recommends" but rather wanted to give the work to a faithful customer of mine who owns a body shop. This adjuster made it clear to me from the start that I should do it his way and not drag him a half hour out of his face to my body shop. He treated me like absolute crap until I made th choice to leave.

I'm pissed

Had an easy day at school today, just note taking mostly.

Came home, worked on some homework, and spliced up a 10' spider leg to try out some time out of 3/8" Tenex. Turned out pretty good. Looking forward to giving it a try sometime.

I moidered two big oaks with the crane, relatively easy. I made the rookie climber hook the long laterals. :evil:

I do NOT want to get on that treadmill, but I didn't work hard enough to day to justify skipping it.

Chris, call Progressive directly and get a message to his supervisor or somebody else higher up. Don't let him beat you up because he's looking for an easy shortcut in his job duties.

Adrian, keep up the splicing practice. :thumbup:

I helped Matt today, though I'd rather be doing my own stuff. Took down 2 good sized Maples, some birches, a habitat snag, and some punky wood. My back is soar as shit as I did a lot of driving, 40 min there, 50 min home, 30-40 min for each 2 loads of chips and 2 loads of wood. Plus I was in a bad mood, was thinking of that beach I was on yesterday all day today.

The upholstery guy postponed my bucket truck appt to next week. I hauled the blackwalnut stumps that I had to the dump. Didn't wash them, just took them like they were, nobody saw me.:/: I had a grease fitting on my dump trailer that wouldn't take grease and I had to take the pin out and drill the crap out of the hole in it. One of hose kind of frustrating jobs.
Good job keeping up with your studies and splicing Adrian.

Thanks Skwerl and Erik!!! Splicing has shown a second benefit. Grandma has been in the hospital awhile after some problems from her major surgery and she's big into sewing and all that. So she's really interested in the stitching and whipping part of my splicing. Found it to be a good topic for conversation and showing her how I do it when we see her for awhile

Got a call from the crane guy to remove some big pines, a half day job, I hate that! Sometimes he does that, when he wants me to use his MS 660 with the long bar, his other people don't like to lift it. Lately he's been doing that more to save costs, just wants me for the bigger tree jobs. His prerogative, but I usually bring my own saws anyway, and getting the stuff together, and clean-up afterwards, etc., it pretty much becomes a whole day affair for only a half day's wages.

Even if I get back to my shop early, after the rock and roll, I don't much feel like concentrating on some itty bittty furniture thing. Ain't it a bitch :roll:

I had a customer call and book about 3 weeks ago on a job I had bid almost a month earlier. The job is scheduled for tomorrow and it had been so long since I had seen the place I couldn't remember anything about the job. I just drove out and did a drive by. Now I remember.

This week has been very long... My truck has been in the shop all week having both rear hubs replaced. It SHOULD be done tomorrow. I just spent all my money on a mini skid that won't be here for another two weeks. I finished paying all my taxes for 1st quarter.

Also, Erik, I hope you can kick the cigs soon man. My uncle Bill just got diagnosed with cancer in his esophagus, which has already gone all over the place. ...not good... So, my mom and her sisters are going down there to do the whole herbal immersion thing.

Got all the trees the customer needed down on that job for the garage. Now we will be doing the fire clearance for the future structure. Get all the brush out and burned, trees cleaned out and limbed up with in 100 feet of where it is going. He has also decided to give us the wood... So that will make for about a 600.00 bonus :D

Back