How'd it go today?

i guess getting stuck deep with a thorn from a tree in a cattle feedlot, then putting my gloves back on and continuing on for the day wasn't in my best interest.............oops.

Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in fairly quick......

Get a little infection from that thorn Che. Heal up quick :)

no pics.....but if it helps form a mental picture, the office staff at the drs turned away when they saw it....guess it looked as bad as it felt. 24 hours later it's already starting to look like a finger again.

Painful to do everything today, but sounds like I'm having a better day then Ed! Be careful!! We lost a dear friend who was working a storm a few years ago. So exhausted on the way home he fell asleep driving and smashed into the back of a truck. Take care.

I knocked a bunch of poplars down for AA Steve in the rain. My upper back started getting stiff in a familiar way so I scheduled an appointment with my chiropractor. He made me hurt so good. I showed him the weird swelling on my elbow. Ruptured bursa from some sort of impact I don't remember. He sees it all the time with our local minor league hockey team. Nothing to do about it unless it gets really filled with fluid, then they can drain it. I am going to cancel my doctor appointment for tomorrow.

pouring rain this AM, called the boys and told them to take the day off (@ 7:15), by 10 it was drizzly and no one seemed to be answering their phones :shifty: so I went out to work by myself. killed a cherry and finished up two other pruning jobs. by 1 it was sunny and relatively warm!

Been workin' swing shift this week, so I was home this mornin' sippin' coffee and workin' on my taxes when the phone rang.

A friend referred me to someone for more storm removal work. They have quite a few trees on their property that have been down for some time, and not to mention some of the standing ones that have potential to hit the house if they fall. So it looks like I will be busy next week... mo' $$$ for me! Yippee-Skippy!:propellerhead:

Gary

Did I mention that the south side of the great lakes has the wierdest weather in the world,thought so.Yesterday about everything kind of came to a stand still because of the storm.Today,roads clear,no further drifting,temp in the high 20's,go figure :? That wind blown 12 inchs of snow is hard enough to walk on top of after one day.

I agree with John...put your weight back on a biner, or lanyard snap, and try to release either one...I don't think you can. We need to experiment with stuff like that before we have to count on it. Give it a go and let us know how it does.

The VT-off-the-end of the lanyard is a good idea, the hwyman hitch, too. The ice hook sounds like a "Nightmare of Elm Street" Jason/Freddy Cougar scene...would have to be cool to see the customer's face when you set THAT scene up!!!

Load rated zip ties might work well for this. A couple of 200lb zip ties between the snap and D should hold you for positioning without a problem, but in case of a spar failure they would pop pretty quickly.

Load rated zip ties might work well for this. A couple of 200lb zip ties between the snap and D should hold you for positioning without a problem, but in case of a spar failure they would pop pretty quickly.

That's an interesting idea...I'll play with it some and see how it does.

Froze my arse this morning,

about -2*F this morning, factor in the windchill and it felt like -20*F.

By lunchtime it was a balmy 15*.

Tomorrow they're talking breaking 20*!!

And next weeks into the 30's.

Whoohoo! A heatwave.

Wanna trade Nick?

The one time I felt I wanted a breakaway lanyard, I used a single zip tie just like that. I have no idea what it's rating was, heck I didn't even know they were load rated :) ;it was just a loose one I had in the console of the truck. But it felt sturdy enough for the task...and I didn't have to test it.

Did a little climbing today. Backyard oak removal, this one was quite tall for this area. About 90'-95' tall and 36"dbh (48" stump cut measured with my 24" bar). I had an old colleague with me and the two of us had it all on the ground, cut and stacked by 1pm. We roped out about 60% of the canopy due to tight quarters and a 20 mph wind blowing toward the house. Easy, fun tree with enough height to make roping easy. Had a couple more pics but they were out of focus, sorry.

About a block away a neighbor had this carved stump in the yard. I had to take a picture of it. :D

That looks sweet, Brian. Pretty nice looking stump as well. One little Maple removal today short and right over fences in the back corner of a yard, bit of a pita, went good though no damage.

nice to see you out of the bucket Skwerl. and yeah, that is a cool looking carving for sure.

site visit for arborist report this am, then estimate (charged as a consult) for pruning, then an estimate, prune and cash project :shifty: now back in office prepping the estimates and working up the arborist report. getting ready to take the evening off and sit with the wife in front of the idiot box. working tomorrow and one estimate so far for sunday.

Helped get the kid out the door, cleaned house, sent a bill that despite all my effort looked amateurish(maybe it was the crayon), ran out the door late to a little kill and leave poplar job, killed said polars, payed a visit to AA Steve's filthy apartment to collect for Wednesday's job, ran home, ordered two hundred feet of chainsaw chain from Bailey's, a bar, tip greaser etc., picked up the kid, drove home and ate some Chinese take out.

I wish I was an ass and took pictures of Steve's apartment, gun laying on the bed, nunchucks on the floor, mangy dog nibbling itself into fits and general layer of trash everywhere. The guy had one job scheduled this week and had to call me for the address for his job. When I got to the job site in the a.m., he had to ask me what the customer's name was.

"Hey Darin, do you think I should knock on the door?"

I walked into the backyard carrying my gear, Steve who carries nothing looks around puzzled and can't remember what we the job consists of. Steve tells me he could just "wedge cut these trees over." In my head I calculate whether it is worth not getting paid for this job to see him land one tree on the house and the other into a pine tree. The I remember that it is my liability insurance that got us this job anyway and brush Mr. Expert Treefeller out of the way. My removal of the poplars was made even more fun by Steve's desire to run under me and start cutting whenever I put a branch on the ground and by his dog running through the drop zone as I was pushing over a top. I like animals and people mostly but in my head I said to myself "if the dog gets it, I am not going to feel guilty."

Oops I turned my post into a AA Steve bashing riff. He is becalmed with not a job on the books and I have a week and a half and more bids to do. I have waited so long for this.

Darin, as funny as your posts are, you are in a scary place with this guy man. make sure you dont get hurt covering for this fool.

Reminds me of working with someone in NC several years back. Only person I've ever worked for that brought his dog along to the jobsite and let it run around under the tree while I was cutting. Completely oblivious is the only way I can describe it. For someone who actually pays attention to what he's doing, it's virtually impossible to work under those conditions.

I agree with Paul. Sounds like AA Steve has just about used up his usefullness to you as your phone is beginning to ring. I'll be happy when you're too busy to make time for him.
8)

Back