How'd it go today?

I learned from Stig that you can get away with boring the back cut on smallish wood by angling the bar. It works when otherwise it seems you haven't enough room. Rather than holding the bar horizontal and level, roll it so the belly is lower than the back (of the bar) and still horizontal.

Not addressing Fi's situation, maybe will help John...

On my way back from an hour south to pick up a few free logs for our sawmill. This fellow had some pecan. I’m hoping there is some good figured grain for turning.
Had to fix my lightweight boot first - a speed lace hook pulled out and got lost.
Only replacement I have is a single rivet style. We’ll see if it holds up.

Attachments

• IMG_8927.jpeg
    IMG_8927.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8926.jpeg
    IMG_8926.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8925.jpeg
    IMG_8925.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 5
Much better place for that post lolz.

Did you have that speed hook on hand, or did you harvest it from retired footwear?

Also, I feel retarded for being so impressed with your use of that rivet spinner to repair a shoe. A rivet is a rivet, after all...

Sadly, I had ditched an old pair a few weeks before the speed hook went missing, so I bought a 10 pack to have on hand.
Spinner worked well; I helped clear out a house a few years ago and the woman said take what you want from the basement. I got a whole filing cabinet full of hardware, and there happened to be several sizes of rivets in there.

Shoe repair discussion!!:dude:

I just patched these $90 mocassins, the seam was starting to come apart. Smh, I have 2 other identical pairs (one still in the box :|: ) so it was arguably false economy but I couldnt bear to trash them when they still had a fair amount of life left in them overall.

It was a serious pita working partially inside the shoe with an awl. But got it done. I figured if I flubbed it I'd just toss the shoes.

Oh btw, to add to the freegan nature of this post, the leather patch piece came from the back of a worn out pair of work gloves, of which I have lots. Perhaps I shall weave a tapestry with them.:lol:

I posted a picture of my boots where the rebar went through. They're at the office, and I have the spot cleaned, and the ShoeGoo purchased. I'm just trying to find a scrap of nylon to glue over the hole. I can't remember where I put it. It won't be pretty, but it'll work for a pair of work boots. I'm not out to win beauty contests or anything.

Mission accomplished, good deal man. Did it achieve its goal? Yes then you're good. Just wait till i finally get around to firing my industrial sewing machine up, I'm gonna be able to make all sorts of stuff look terrible, and at sweatshop speeds because it's the same model they use in lots of them. I'm hoping to not sew through my hand, cause this one is strong enough apparently. They used it for sewing 2" thick stuff so i believe them. Can't remember if i shared a pic of it when i got it so I'll post one, i gotta replace a couple parts on it and it should be good to go, just have other stuff that's more pressing so i haven't had a chance to mess with it.

Screenshot_20240104-212212_Photos.jpg

So, what's the toughest glue for shoes? I often have the outer sole separate. They need to just stitch them on the old fashioned way. That's my plan, but after I find a good glue first. I wonder if there's a better glue than the factories use.

Remember a few months back when I mentioned how happy I was to be in remission from my disability for (at that time) three long years? The one that put me in the hospital over 100 times between 2003 and 2020 (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome)? Well, it appears to be back. I just got out of the hospital yesterday after a horrific experience. Not only were these doctors not listening to me and pussy footing around the medication, but I couldn't stop puking for nearly 48 hours with maybe one hour of sleep here and there. And as soon as I started to feel better, they decided they wanted to discharge me instead of observe me. To make matters worse, they lost my glasses and now I can barely see. So if there are typos, I apologize.

I woke up this morning still nauseous, so I took a bunch of medication and a long shower and now I feel a bit better. I DO NOT want to have to go back to the hospital. Anyways, kind of depressing. Sorry about that. =-(

Back